Author Topic: Winter - Bug In/Bug Out  (Read 1654 times)

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
Winter - Bug In/Bug Out
« on: January 31, 2014, 10:01:49 AM »
Just food for thought as I look out my window at another flurry of snow... If essential services are cut or limited I suspect snow plowing will go straight out the window early on. Not to say that many of us do not have large trucks or suvs with good tires but few vehicles I know of are gonna get you through 3 feet of solid snow to head towards a bug out location. Definitely want to be able to hunker down until spring if at all possible otherwise you might have to hoof it or ski/snowshoe it. Those trying to leave a large city in a regular car will find it quickly impossible by vehicle I suspect in a heavy winter.
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Winter - Bug In/Bug Out
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:49:31 AM »
You make good points. One of the problems in this scenario that must be considered is that abandoned vehicles on the major highway are much more likely to be an impediment to movement than the snow itself. It takes large crews of workers to clear a highway but it only takes a few OPP officers to close a highway. In any such scenario I would rule any major highway out of your plans and instead centre on secondary routes that will likely remain at least partially passable and are unlikely to be closed by any PTB.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 11:00:23 AM »
True. 4 - 6 Cruisers and the 401 can be shutdown which is a scary scary thought. As resources become diminished the side routes will be the least traversed which is good and bad - weather dependent. As with many of these situations it depends on the scenario.
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
An alternate route may include lrt tracks, or subway tunnels, if the power is down. These have there draw backs too though.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 10:28:36 PM »
No one has mentioned dogsleds or snowmachines. This is Canuckland afterall. Ski/snowshoes and pull a covered toboggan if you must leave over the snow. But like any scenario, leaving should always be the last choice. The risks of fleeing overland in -20 and blowing snow without adequate resources is a self-imposed death sentence.

Assess the risks and threats, if staying IS a death sentence and leaving offers a slim hope of survival......slim is better than no hope of survival.

Just my thoughts,

MM.