Author Topic: build your backpack stove.. simple. easy. fast  (Read 2506 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Re: build your backpack stove.. simple. easy. fast
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:29:05 AM »
zeker,

Very interesting. Have you made one?? How does it compare to a penny stove?? It appears to be simpler in construction than a penny stove,  and since the whole stove can be constructed from only one aluminum can, it should also be more affordable.

After others have reviewed the video, comment on whether using a thumb tack to make the small hole might be easier and safer than employing an awl?????

Thanks for this,

Mountainman.

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:32:27 PM »
Ive seen one before.

Gonna make one.

Would be a good item to make once and if SHTF to just give to people who you are bartering with or such.

And yes, thumbtack would probly be better lol
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 09:06:57 PM »
I made one today and might try it out tonight though definitely try it out tomorrow.

The advantages of this system would be that you can do it with a pocket knife or other utility knife as well as only ONE can for the construction. There are better DIY stoves out there though, if it moves or you can removed the top part that easily you may end up having issues or problems later.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 05:55:28 PM »
This stove is simple and functional. The only issue I see is that the alcohol is free to spill (and burn) all over if it tips so it is risky in that regard.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 06:33:15 PM »
I built one using a strong Coconut Water Can;
now the top is not big enough for the kettle so it was wobbly
it felt as if it would spill! (same diameter as pop cans but stronger metal)

Even with only a small pea can with water in it, it was wobbly, so would only use this in a holder like the ones I use utilizing salmon cans or another small can, see blog for more info.

Will build another, make the sides come up even more than they do now to within a fraction of the top dents
will also need to find another bottle/can with a wider mouth for it to feel less wobbly,

Good skill to learn if stuck and you can only find one one can! Personally I will stick with my L-can (Lcan) stove or a penny stove that you can find on my blog.

ps.. you need that hole in the side, it works only minimally without it.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 01:40:13 PM by wild_E »

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:51:15 PM »
Just for argument sake........

What about using one of them "bubba" cans that some beer is sold in. The oversized cans sold individually. Would they offer a more stable base??

And thinking out loud a bit further. What about making a hanging bracket, like some stoves used on sail boats and such. Not sure exact how, but it would making tipping over the pot or stove more difficult.

Just some random thoughts.

MM.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 08:09:44 PM »
Just for argument sake........

What about using one of them "bubba" cans that some beer is sold in. The oversized cans sold individually. Would they offer a more stable base??

And thinking out loud a bit further. What about making a hanging bracket, like some stoves used on sail boats and such. Not sure exact how, but it would making tipping over the pot or stove more difficult.

Just some random thoughts.

MM.

Depends on how many you have to "empty" to make the stove, then you'll only have to worry about how wobbly you are...LOL
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
Since I do not drink, I also do not know what that is! So, from your keen observation skills until you have too many of them, let's assume they are wider. OK, they will work, but... there are a lot of other better designs out there that are a whole lot safer. These other designs take some time, take some practice as well as some tools.

This design if for the last ditch you can make it with a sharp rock design, a last ditch there are no other options design and you have lost your original stoves. That would be the only time, I personally would use one of these. Tomorrow or the next day, will make another, different from the on I just made, measure this one to make it safer and see what I think then.
cheers

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 04:09:15 AM »
I have tried both, and prefer the penny stove. Here's the reason why, the penny stove can be used in raised stove or a miniature oven, the other, requires the pot to be directly on it to pressurize the gases coming out the sides. I use cotton balls in my penny stove as a spill safety, also I have a bit of the cotton sticking out of the penny hole as a preheater. This works just as well as a penny in place. As someone said, the penny stove  seems to be the safer model to go with as well as being more versatile. But if you leave penny stove at home and only brought one beer, or canned drink, well then I guess you make due with what you have. ;D
We learn, We practice, We teach.