Author Topic: New China H7N9 Bird Flu Cases 'Signal Potential Winter Epidemic'  (Read 1419 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
 Fresh human cases in eastern China of a deadly new strain of bird flu signal the potential for "a new epidemic wave" of the disease in coming winter months, scientists said on Thursday.

The strain, known as H7N9, emerged for the first time in humans earlier this year and killed around 45 of the some 135 people it infected before appearing to peter out in China During the summer.

But a new case in October in a 35-year-old man from China's eastern Zhejiang province shows that the virus "has re-emerged in winter 2013" and "indicates a possible risk of a larger outbreak of H7N9 this winter," according to Chinese researchers writing in the online journal Euro surveillance.

Flu experts around the world have been warning that despite the marked drop off in cases during the summer months, the threat posed by H7N9 bird flu has not passed.

Ab Osterhaus, a leading virologist based at the Erasmus Medical Centre in the Netherlands who has been tracking the virus, told Reuters earlier this month: "We're bracing for what's going to happen next."

The first scientific analysis of probable transmission of the new flu from person to person, published in the British Medical Journal in August, gave the strongest proof yet that it can jump between people and so could potentially cause a human pandemic.

http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/10/24/world/europe/24reuters-birdflu-epidemic.html
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: New China H7N9 Bird Flu Cases 'Signal Potential Winter Epidemic'
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 10:07:45 PM »
Do charcoal filtered masks work for defense?

Thanks for the post K
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Charcoal in a mask isn't necessary for protection. What you need is a mask that is designed to filter out the virus and spores. Generally N95 is the accepted standard. The biggest problem with any mask is having the correct size and fit for your face. There are a number of different types and those who work in health care are fitted on a biannual basis. For the average person I would recommend an N95 mask, safety type glasses, nitrile or even vinyl gloves and hand washing, hand washing, HAND WASHING with soap and water !!!!! N95 masks and nitrile and vinyl gloves can be purchased at most hardware stores, Canadian Tire, Home Depot... etc.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 12:21:16 AM by JustABear »
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »
Oh good I have everything on that list, thx JAB
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:17:09 AM »
Oh good I have everything on that list, thx JAB

Always remember in a pandemic

eyes
EARS(many people do not realize that a virus can go through the ear canal) get cotton balls..I have ear muffs to also cover my ears
mouth
hands
nose

my emergency plan if I have to go out in a pandemic..follows as such...

have a large tote, spare clothing,water and bleach,towel,wash cloth etc ready

when I go out wear my gloves,mask,cotton balls and ear muffs, and googles and have disposable or work clothes on(ones that can be soaked in bleach)

the things that I  buy to re-stock house will have to be washable in a bleach and water solution(as strong as you wish)

when I return home,I will go in to my shed to do this no virus brought in to the house

mix bleach and water in tote(how much bleach to water you use is personal choice)

while you are still in your going out suit, wash all of the products you have brought home(taking care to get every possible nook and cranny) this can now be stored on a shelf away from yourself or where you will be located in the area..I would allow at least 10 days for them to sit and make sure any virus that has gotten on the product is inactive( virus" can live on a surface for a max of 10 days)

take all clothing off and wash all over(including hair)

clothing worn outside dropped in to bucket

I may confine myself to at least 5-10 days in the shed so I make sure I have not caught anything(average incubation period is 10 days)so you may want to plan a longer time away from family

while you are confined you would wash your clothes,wring them out hang them up to dry(some clothes you may just wrap in plastic garbage bag tie off and dispose of...

take some reading material or projects to work on while you are confined...and with this plan make sure you do not leave your re-stocking up time till the last minute as you will need to stay away from family members for awhile

http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007