Author Topic: DID ANYBODY TRIED IT  (Read 2382 times)

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
DID ANYBODY TRIED IT
« on: October 22, 2013, 09:58:17 AM »
My wife and I decided we will shut off hydro for a month close gate to our property and live without going out. That should give me better idea of where we are short  and what needs improvement in case of real disaster.
We will have to alternate between solar and generator for power. Cook  strictly with fire , use lanterns for light, use very little of TV and mostly radio. (It is test not only for emergency but for marriage too being 24 hours so close  .HA HA)
I know it only short time but I am sure will  get the idea .
Henry

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: DID ANYBODY TRIED IT
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 10:10:01 AM »
Yes I did that same thing, by choice, when I lived in BC. 6 months. Had to keep the land line phone on for work, and I was by myself. Easier than most would think once you are organized, heating bath water, washing dishes and laundry, and using a dug in refridgerator with ice blocks packed in wood shavings, to list a few things. It was eye opening and once everything became routine, easy.

Enjoy
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
I have done it a couple of times but only for a short time, a week at a time. However I still had to go out because of commitments but not to make any purchases for food or anything else. We did not have to do without TV, phone, cell phone or the internet so we were not cut off. Didn't notice much of a difference to be honest it was very easy. 

Our friends moved to 160 acres in the bush and built a nice house three years ago. He has a battery bank and an inverter. He charges the batteries with a generator as he doesn't have solar or wind. They have TV, cell phone and internet so they live like the rest of us with no problems. 
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 07:12:21 AM »
when I moved here I had no hydro for the first yr.. no cell phone. coleman lamps and propane/battery lamps. I did all my cooking on top of the woodstove except for coffee.. I needed FAST coffee each morning so I used the propane stove in the trailer. I had an electrician out to start doing the wiring and he asked what that smell was. I said its buns cooking on top of the woodstove. two fri pans with the dough in between.. when one side was done i would just flip the thing and the other side would get its share.. I have tried to do the same on a burner of the propane stove but it just doesnt work out.
I would go to town ea morning and park in front of a house and check my email.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
a path to freedom
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
in response to questions, i will add a little background.
I sold my place in BC when wife left
came to ont with no vehicle or place to go while looking for land. I knew thw general area where I wanted to be but couldnt find the right place, right away. spent a month on a shabby motel till I found this 12 acres outside of town. all bush. had a driveway pushed in and bought a camper trailer and started building a "shed" overtop of the camper with two rooms beside. all the time, hurrying, as winter was approaching.
I hired the contracter from hell.. cokehead. his bunch wouldnt show up for days and sometimes 2 weeks ata time.
I rode this punks hard, after I saw what was going on. up til then , I was happy-go-lucky, easy to get along with.
many times their work was very substandard and he always said "o we can fix that"
I gave half $$ up front (never again) and I was supplying the materials. all were onsite, and I was there if something ran out.
His electrician could barely stand and eventually after 3 attempts to pass the elect inspection, I had to hire someone to finish it.. luckily, I had withheld $1000 til "after the inspection".. the original contractor never got that $1000 as it took 3 tries til I finally had it done right.

at first I slept on the bench seat of the trailer and spent most of my time cutting wood and getting ready for winter.I had so much preps that room to store it, was at a premium.
eventually I got the inside finished on the two rooms and was able to move in my bed. I couldn't finish the inside til the electrical inspection.. as the inspector only came to this area every 2 weeks, it dragged on and on.

frustration and burning money. I had the money from the sale of my place out and I knew it wouldn't last forever. I bought a log splitter and quad, berkey water system, and a beater truck, and semi load of logs.. bad move on the truck. I should have bought a descent truck when I had the cash. no matter. It stills runs , but certainly is cop bait. It had taken a yr to finally get the hydro hooked up. and my thots turned to the house as spring arrived.

I bought all the materials to build the "house" 20x30 cabin. built on cement pilings.
more contractor problems..

I needed someone to start the cabin.
a friend says "hey my son in law is a carpenter. he does great work"
get the kid out and we work out a descent price and I ask "do you have a crew?" yep.. he shows up alone for a few days and the going is slow.
(just getting the layout) finally, on cement day, I am on the mixer and he brings a buddy. it gets done but they were whipped carrying cement in 5 gal pails. the water to mix the cement came from the water in the holes we dug for the footings.. no worrys on the water.. when the excavator was here to push in the driveway, I had him dig as far as he could go (22ft) to look for water. had 5 ft of water in the hole the next day so i knew i had surface water for a drive point. had him fill the hole with filter sand in foresight of the drive point.
back to the contractor.
This kid couldnt drive a nail and when I asked his father in law whats up he says "I dont know, I,ve never seen his work" THIS from the same guy who recommeded him and swore he did good work.
I fired him when he f@#$ed up the floor so bad I had to take it off and do it again. frustration.
I was at very deep low in my emotions and decided the next day to just go for a ride in the bush and think. came home to find one wall up.. and straight and true.WTF? I hadnt hired another contractor. turns out the kids father inlaw felt bad for suckering me, and he and his wife and sister finished the cabin in 3 weeks. he ened up being a good friend till his death last yr from a swung boom on a boom truck. took his head off. altho he was a haywire guy,(never give him alcohol) he was also a  good friend.

one of my preps for the place, had been to get a used propane range and I thank God everyday for that.. the new woodstove is configured in such a way, as to make cooking, on top, impossible.
 I built the insulated chicken shed (16x10) with lumber left over from the cabins.
all the roofs were metal. at one point during roofing it was eveident that 6 sheets were diffrent than the rest. galavlume and galvanized. they react and rust. FAST. after several months arguing with the buildall supply, an agent was sent out and the sheets were eventually replaced. but not the labor to re&re, them.

the building inspector was adament that I needed whirlygigs on the roof. when I explained that the whole length of the roof is vented via ridgecap, he relinguished. there were many things come up in the building inspections that were completely ludacrous.. accoustical caulking. every seem had to have this. I explained that I didnt want the house air tight.(mold) it needed to breathe. he won that one. regs is regs, no matter if they make sense or not.
I attempted to get a permit for septic and was told "you cant get the pemit ($500) til you get environmental approval" the environment folks said "we cant give the approval without the permit"

In frustration, I went into the town office and said I was going with composting toilet. their hands were tied and I won that one. even tho I have the composting toilet, I still use the outhouse, as the heater? inside the chamber, died, and everything froze up last winter.

lawyers.
I paid cash for the property. turns out that 2 lawyers need to be involved now instead of one "for your protection"
I was in the lawyers office and asked , which lawyer was doing the work and which one, was just taking the money? it was a one men job the yr b4. I was getting more and more frustrated at the replys to my questions that I just told her to do the job and dont rob me anymore. The guy I bought the land off of came by the next day and said "did you happen to go to the lawyer yesterday?" I said yep why? he informed me that the $2000 that I had given the lawyer was at the cop shop and that they didnt want to see me in the lawyers office AND not to go to his lawyer neither.
apprently, the law clerk was upset with my questions and attitude and had taken the $ to the police station cause I was disrespectful.
no matter.. found another lawyer and got the deed done and got the original money from the cops shop.. what a self serving buncha dorks.
did i mention that I hate lawyers?

I was driving 10 miles a cpl times a week to go to the next town for showers at the health club/gym til someone said "why dont go to the prov park in your town?" duh.. never occured to me. bought a yrly permit for $100 and from 24may till thanxgiving, I can go in for showers and laundry.and scope out the dumpsters.. its amazing what folks toss from a campground. tents, axes, equipment.. the rest of the yr I just heat water up and pour it into the camp shower bag and have a shower stall that I found on collection day. guy was re-doing his bathroom and took the old one out and set it by the road.

today I have come home with another load of wood from the Brushing of a road near me.. crown land. not good stuff, but free and by next yr it will be good for early seasons. will go back tomorrow for more.

tomorrow is leaf day. folks are raking their leaves and bagging them.. I stop by and they are happy for me to take them instead of them paying to dump them or dropping them off in the bush. the chickens make short work of them and "contribute" their share, and by spring, its compost. I dont take grass cuttings as folks use roundup.

In conclusion. I would never build again.. at least start with an already there, cabin, of some sort. the $$ that I spent here could have bought a better place but I was thinking that I was saving money.. foolish.
peace of mind comes at a high cost.
If I ever did buy vacant land again, I would get a 'gargage pkg' from the lumber yard and finish the interior on my own..but. I,m getting old.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 02:36:51 PM by zeker »

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
ps.
my water is now collected from rain via 3x300 ltr bulk containers. winter is melting snow. still never got the drivepoint in.. attempted it this yr but kept screwing up the threads.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 07:52:14 PM »
Hey ZEKER too bad I did not hear your story at the beginning of your venture I would have for sure come and help you. I build my house from scratch , mix my own concrete ,cut my own 2x6 framed , wired and plumed. It was cheaper to buy saw mill than buy wood. but I still remember all the frustrations and disappointments. I do not know where you are located  but if it is not too far from Huntsville let me know I am sure I still can be of some help. You can have as much fire wood as you want.
pm me.
henry

Gravlore

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:32:06 PM »
Zeker, what do you melt the snow in and what was the process you used? Was thinking about doing the same thing if we got low again.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 11:47:56 AM »
henry.. I,m west of sudbury. wish i,d have known that 5 yrs ago..lol. whats left of my hair is grey now.

grav.. I have a 10 gal stainless kitchen pot on the woodstove.. altho i cant cook on it, I can have the pot there.. It does a good job of melting snow. carrying water makes you very careful about wasting it.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
I was getting ready for this life stile for a long time, was  just waiting for my 3 boys leave the house. I kept buying stuff at auctions ( still do)  I have extra 2 or 3 wood stoves and all the parts to built masonry cook stove /Owen.
Nov when I am retired from my business just coming with all kinds of ideas for improving and make my primitive life easier.
Just purchased again a goat to have again our own milk and cheese.
henry

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
outdoor oven
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 08:12:46 PM »
henry.. this yr I built an outdoor oven. makes great breads and pizzas and pies.. not sure how to post pics here.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2013, 08:43:21 AM »
Zeker that I really like to see. I looked some on int.nt  and I remember we had one when I was kid in Europe but to see one built from scratch is different. So if you could figure out how to post some sketches or pictures it would really help me.
Even better if you ever travel by Huntsville you are very welcome in my place. I would love to meet you in person.
Henry

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »

well I seem to be able to find the pic i want but once I have it lined up in the "attach" section. I cant upload cause its too large.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog