Author Topic: Communication plan  (Read 6593 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: Communication plan
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 08:23:49 AM »
I bought on of the UV-5RA awhile back but know absolutely nothing about it, or ham.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »
Here is an excellent site for the UV5R. It's a great little radio.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

As well you can get a handy little rollup antenna that is good for portable operations. You unroll it and suspend it from a tree to give you base station antenna performance. Here is the EBay reference for that. I got mine with 20 ft of coax so you can get it good and high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLL-UP-LONG-RANGE-PORTABLE-ANTENNA-FOR-2-METER-70CM-HANDHELDS-BAOFENG-ETC/190887372387?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17396%26meid%3D821457980710420855%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D8093%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D190847495799%26

Hope that helps.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 01:06:15 PM »
Here is a link from traveler that details frequencies and a comms plan for disaster use with different bands.
http://www.catastrophenetwork.org/?page_id=446

Here is a list of those frequencies posted by ICRCC from that link...

The following are the frequencies that have been designated by Catastrophe Network and the The American Preparedness Radio Network (TAPRN):
80 Meters 3.818 MHz LSB (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 9 PM ET)
40 Meters 7.242 MHz LSB
40 Meters Morse Code / Digital 7.073 MHz USB
20 Meters 14.242 MHz USB
20 Meters Morse Code / Digital 14.073 MHz USB
2 Meters 146.420 MHz FM
440 (70 cm) 446.420 MHz FM
FRS/GMRS Channel 4 (462.6375 MHz)
CB Channel 4 (27.005 MHz)
MURS Channel 4 (154.570 MHz)

Hope you find that helpful.

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 03:42:37 PM »
JAB ru in canada? did they ship to canada?.. ty for the link to ebay

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
JAB ru in canada? did they ship to canada?.. ty for the link to ebay

Yes I am in Canada, Southern Ontario. I ordered mine on EBay.ca. The radios I purchased came from Hong Kong. Shipping was included in the price and they arrived within 7 - 10 days.  I'll add a link when I get home from work.

JAB

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 01:22:00 AM »
Got a nifty little roll up antenna today. It is a "Slim Jim" or J pole type. Flexible and comes with 20 feet of coax. You can suspend it 20 feet up in a tree, hook up your radio and have pretty much the advantage of a base antenna but with unlimited portability. Haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it works. It rolls up to the size of a large pack of cigarettes.

Speaking of portability... do you think it is best to have base station for transmitting or have the ability to move your transmission source around? My thoughts go to the portable option. No one can triangulate your position and you keep your real base of operations secure.

Thoughts?

JAB
thanks for sharing this..ive also ordered! this is a MUST HAVE for handheld ham radios, for preppers, that is   ;)

Like you, I believe portable is the way to go. I guess now I need to figure out how to recharge the radio on the go....any suggestions?

If one has a vehicle, one would be able to carry a base station. Any suggestions for how to power a base station if the grid is down.....??? what cables would one need, batteries etc..

Above all, adapt

Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »
Got a nifty little roll up antenna today. It is a "Slim Jim" or J pole type. Flexible and comes with 20 feet of coax. You can suspend it 20 feet up in a tree, hook up your radio and have pretty much the advantage of a base antenna but with unlimited portability. Haven't tried it yet but will let you know how it works. It rolls up to the size of a large pack of cigarettes.

Speaking of portability... do you think it is best to have base station for transmitting or have the ability to move your transmission source around? My thoughts go to the portable option. No one can triangulate your position and you keep your real base of operations secure.

Thoughts?

JAB
thanks for sharing this..ive also ordered! this is a MUST HAVE for handheld ham radios, for preppers, that is   ;)

Like you, I believe portable is the way to go. I guess now I need to figure out how to recharge the radio on the go....any suggestions?

If one has a vehicle, one would be able to carry a base station. Any suggestions for how to power a base station if the grid is down.....??? what cables would one need, batteries etc..

Above all, adapt

I have to ask what you mean by "base station"?

As for charging you can get 3600 mah Li batteries for the Baofeng radio. There is a "battery eliminator" that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket. There is also a battery box that takes 6 AAA batteries for them so you have many options.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:50:06 PM by JustABear »

JAB

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
I have to ask what you mean by "base station"?

As for charging you can get 3600 mah Li batteries for the Baofeng radio. There is a "battery eliminator" that plugs into your cigarette lighter socket. There is also a battery box that takes 6 AAA batteries for them so you have many options.

Hi JAB,

You mentioned base stations before...?
A base station is generally a bigger radio (not conducive to portability, especially for BOB purposes), much more expensive, and has wider coverage and longer range. examples: https://www.hamcity.com/store/pc/Base-Stations-c206.htm

As for "charging on the go" I guess I should have been clearer...I meant how would one charge one's BOB portable, handheld ham radio  :)

And how would one charge ones base station if all one had was a vehicle?  :)

Above all, adapt

Above all, adapt

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 02:48:23 PM »
Base stations can be of 2 types. You can use a full base station which is larger, has more power and runs on 120volt. They are hooked up to base antennas which are usually on towers. Yes they are expensive. Another option for a base radio is a mobile radio set up with a 12 volt power source and using a base antenna. They are cheaper although less powerful but still put out 25 - 50 watts depending on type. You can also get an output amplifier to increase the transmission power. The advantage to using a mobile transciever as a base station is that you can move them about easily, they operate on 12 volts like your car and you would be able to use it as a portable. The small portables like the baofeng can be used with a base station antenna and give great range even at 5 watts output.  These vhf/uhf radio's work on line of sight with little "bounce" or over the horizon capability. The higher your antenna the farther you can communicate. Hope that helps.

JAB

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
Thank you JAB  :)

Above all, adapt

Above all, adapt

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2014, 11:05:51 AM »
All,

Here is a link to an interesting website on comms. CB & SSB.

http://radiofreeq.wordpress.com/2013/07/01/survivalist-ssb-cb-freeband-channel-frequency-list/

Cheers,

MM.

Offline GrouchyPrepper

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
Here is an excellent site for the UV5R. It's a great little radio.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

As well you can get a handy little rollup antenna that is good for portable operations. You unroll it and suspend it from a tree to give you base station antenna performance. Here is the EBay reference for that. I got mine with 20 ft of coax so you can get it good and high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLL-UP-LONG-RANGE-PORTABLE-ANTENNA-FOR-2-METER-70CM-HANDHELDS-BAOFENG-ETC/190887372387?_trksid=p2047675.m1985&_trkparms=aid%3D444000%26algo%3DSOI.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D17396%26meid%3D821457980710420855%26pid%3D100012%26prg%3D8093%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D3%26sd%3D190847495799%26

Hope that helps.

Hi JB, hope things are well.
I'm thinking of getting one of these antennas and wondering what improvement in distance did you find with your baofeng radio?
I have 2 uv-5r + radios
Thanks

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Hey Grouchy... I'm well... glad you could join us. Hope things are good with you as well. We need to get together for a bit of shooting come the nicer weather. As for the antenna it works well. You can get different lengths of cable on them. I got 20' so it could be placed fairly high up in a tree or such. With that antenna I have gotten a good 7-8 kilometers to a handheld with a whip antenna which isn't too bad. Straight whip to whip range was about 4km. I'm working on a base antenna to try it with and hoping to get at least 10-15 km between the 2. I'll let you know. Welcome to the forum.

JAB
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 11:52:31 AM by JustABear »

JAB

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2014, 12:55:05 PM »
Just though I would put a link to this tread here if anyone is interested in some Motorola PT 110's at a good price.

http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php?topic=1591.0
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2014, 08:05:03 AM »
AWESOME link. I just got a set of BAOFUNG VHF?UHF radios, dual band. I'll post more info and a critique once I get them up and running.

JAB

got one fo them too, jab ,, juist coulkd never figger how to do anything but trun it on

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2014, 10:07:06 AM »
I have one too, they are great little radios. I think I will pick another one up this summer because things are always better in pairs. :)  Due to their many capabilities as you say they are not the easiest radio to use if you are a novice. I know quite a few people how have bought them and put them away because they were difficult for them to use.

I don't know if you have the following manual but I found it very useful. The PDF is too large to post as is over 1MB here so go to the link and download the PDF at the bottom written by Lennart Lidberg and annotated by Jim Unroeone.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/UV5R-Manuals.html
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 10:30:57 AM by icrcc »
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline GrouchyPrepper

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2014, 05:47:11 AM »
ordered one of those antennas for my baofeng ,looks hopeful.