Author Topic: Bug in / Bug out  (Read 7529 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: Bug in / Bug out
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 07:06:41 PM »
Kelee,
do you have a bug out bag or a go bag? Even if you are in a place of no retreat, there is normally a plan of retreat if prudent. Fires/floods other things, leave then come back. jmi

I have bug outs ready and working the pandemic emergency totes(if anyone needs to know about these just pm me I will do a post on them)
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Online tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 10:05:33 PM »
Niner D and I purchased our BOL several years ago.  At the time, we had the werewithal to pay cash.  Since then, we've been slowly and steadily making improvements as we can afford it.  God willing, I'll be ready to move in permanently when I retire in 2 1/2 years.  The wife plans to stay in the city 'til her retirement in another 8 years but she'll still spend a good deal of her time out there with me.  I've told her that she has to bring beer and come naked. 
Right now we have generator and solar power but with 500 meters of riverfront, there is potential for a water wheel generator and also wind power.  We're off the beaten path, have a good well, a good garden site and great neighbours. 
If anything happens in the next 2 years, that's where we'll bug out to, after that we plan to bug in.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 10:22:01 PM »
Sounds like a good plan. :)
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 11:28:29 AM »
It does sound good. I seen some very nice portable water systems (homemade) PM me and I'll find the pictures for them.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline missmarple

• Contributer
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 01:02:27 PM »
i know I hear all this talk about bugging out, but I dont know how I would do it. I have no car. very little money, and am almost 64 yrs old woman living alone.  I want to be ready for whatever comes, but am frustrated at not being able to improve my situation.  However I do have a "hidey spot" I can get to in about 2o min walk from my apt. I live on the edge of town and there is a wooded area on a nearby farm, I have "stealth camped" there several times and no one that I know of saw me.  There is water nearby that is drinkable if strained and boiled. however it would probably only be a short time before I was found camping there, it cant be considered a permanent camping spot. but if all hell breaks loose in town, I can go there to escape for a few days if need be.
I would like to try stealth camping there in winter, just to see how that goes.  that might be fun. lol.

Other than that, I have to say I cant really bug out. I have no where to go and no way to get anywhere other than walking.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
If you can make a string of these "stealth camps" ( I like that phrase ) towards an area known to you. If you build them in short legs apart you should be able to reach them easily every day that you get closer to your objective. Cache small amounts of provisions at each site, leaving heavier items near the end or at your objective. I know this will take a bit of time but will be well worth it in the end. DO NOT travel in a straight line to your objective. That being said it can turn into a bit of fun.

Take care, and be careful
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline mrselfdistruct

• Contributer
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 06:59:39 PM »
Missmarple, don't get too frustrated, at least your starting to think about it now and testing out options.  This is good time to try this stuff out while we still have "civilization" to fall back on.  ;)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 07:43:57 PM »
And every thing does not have to be done overnight, take your time and plan it all out then spend one day a week laying out( at home) the provisions that you think you need at each camp. Then when youre ready start making your caches when you have the time. After you've done a few you'll be able to change or add later. Just a friendly suggestion. I'm sure that you'll figure it out, big thing don't get panicky or obsecive about it. Have fun.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 09:38:52 PM »
Well I even later than every one but here we go
I live in northern bc and for me
15 min and im out of arms way
4 different bol 4 different locations
Zeker knows the country around heree
We are pretty desolate even if its a big city of 5 thousands:)
But im gona hold off at home for as long as possible

Best regards
Griz
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2014, 09:59:29 AM »
For many preppers  to bug out is being where  I am for last 20 years. So for me bug out may be put couple extra securities so I see  if somebody  else is trying to come to close. Why would I go to strange place if around me on thousand acres I know every trail  and everything for my needs to survive. For me to bug out is to stay put.
Henry

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2014, 11:49:59 PM »
Henry,

So many of us would agree with you, why leave when you know ever path and every stone for a 1000 acres in any direction. Everyone wants to be in a location that can be survived in. For the folks in urban environments, who know survival during a SHTF scenario is going to be bad, want to have an evacuation plan for their families to get to some place with a higher chance of survival.

But with that said, no one really wants to bug out, ever. Even if bugging out is the safest choice to make. But those who have the best locations, with all their supplies - water, food, energy, defence, etc; some situations may still come along that require a short or possibly long term bugout. And to this everyone should be prepared with at the very least a good bugout bag and a planned escape route to a location where the situation can be reviewed and analysed, before deciding to return home or move on.

You do not want to end up in an unexpected situation where you are forced out of your location and have nothing but the clothes on your back. I know, you know this. But others reading this may miss that point. Everyone, no matter their personal situation should have a bugout bag, packed and ready to go. If you can manage it, a bugout vehicle that is loaded and ready to roll is even better.

Just my opinion of course. In the spirit of the conversation, I just don't want folks to get complacent and comfortable at their retreat, without having a backup plan to their main plan.

Mountainman.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2014, 09:11:49 PM »
I have a place to go, with one tak of gas, but the roads could be blocked by natives, or pirates. Also have a bike. Probably bug in. Any highway will be blocked by desperate people.

Online tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2014, 12:02:59 AM »
One of the unique things about members of this forum, we're awake.  All of those sheeple out there, the ones who don't pay attention, will be caught, completely by surprise.  We've all studied and pondered the implications of an economic crash.  So, if the government was to call a bank holiday, the sheeple will be annoyed at the inconvenience, while we go camping.  If a pandemic was to hit, the sheeple will be hiding in their house, while we go camping.  If a major EMP occurred, the sheeple will be wandering around in a daze, while we go camping.
I guess everyone gets my drift.  We've studied and pondered the things that could turn our civilization/society upside down.  While the rest are wondering what's going on, we'll likely recognize many of the signs and symptoms.  We already have plans in place that we can start to activate before most even begin to realize that the event is really serious.
For instance, most people don't have a clue what a bank holiday is.  They certainly don't know what the real implications of a bank holiday are.  But me, I'm out the door and halfway to my BOL before the news anchor has even finished the announcement.  Because we are aware, we do have the advantage when it comes time to decide, bug in or bug out.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2014, 09:43:37 AM »
Lot of guys think they are ready to bug out  because they picked area they will go to. It so very important  to know your terrain, to know every trail,  every rock  you can say every bush. The biggest treat is not government but from people like us but not preppered and very desperate. Friends, neighbors will turn violent in crisis. I can not imagine being in unfamiliar area (bush) and stay put for days not knowing who are the people that are around. Specially  in the middle of winter or mosquito season, or heavy rain days.
Very little what you see on TV
, or movies is based on reality. (just looked zombies shows ) No one lived yet trough so  called end of the world or fought zombies.
Too many preppers get too obsessed with gear and gadgets, STICK TO THE BASICS.
Survival is meeting immediate needs until you develop alternatives. Survival is to put knowledge into practice , having ability to adopt to live with no technology and very limited gear. Be ready change your plans constantly.
When I read some of the postings (I still read the other site  postings , go and check them) I see too many dreamers ,and adventurers.
Henry

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2014, 09:59:38 AM »
After day 3, do you not think there will be armed road blocks on every corner looking for food or money, or your vehicle?

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2014, 10:09:28 AM »
After day 3, do you not think there will be armed road blocks on every corner looking for food or money, or your vehicle?

No! Most checkpoints that would be likely to form would be those manned by concerned citizens that had banded together to protect their neighbourhood. We see this happen over and over again all over the world so there is no reason to think it would be any different in North America. Undoubtedly there will be gangs or groups of marauding bandits but probably less than you might imagine.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2014, 10:53:30 AM »
Lot of guys think they are ready to bug out  because they picked area they will go to. It so very important  to know your terrain, to know every trail, 
When I read some of the postings (I still read the other site  postings , go and check them) I see too many dreamers ,and adventurers.
Henry
Henry,
going to that other site is like eating Filly Mignon at home and high grade quality Angus Steak then going out to a cheap drive through window for the lowest end hamburger!
Why do that when at home here, we eat high end steak!!

Thanks for the laugh though, also thanks for the poignant and deep thoughts that come from one who has lived through a few shfts in his lifetime!

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2014, 11:13:16 AM »
Depending on the type of SHFT event..

The GTA (Greater Toronto Area) as well as other areas across Canada and the USA recently underwent a huge SHFT event for most in the form of power outages due to the ice storms. There are different types of disasters and scenarios for any SHFT events.

A whole lot of these events are what I normally tell people to prepare for! These events have shown that in 99% of the locations, that these events happened in, Canada and USA the best was brought out in people in these events. Lots of caring and sharing went on, so unless it is a mega disaster, nuclear war, EMP there would be no total breakdown of societies structure at least for the first 5-7 days. People will just get by and the gangs etc, just carry on business like usual.

The outcomes of longer than 7 days though.. well neighbours who had food to give and share will now be looking at most 2 days worth of food left for their families, the FEMA and Red Cross Camps along with the Assisted Population Centers in Canada will be running on empty, families and parents getting dangerous now. This is when the very thin veil of modern civilization will start to unravel, civil disobedience and lawlessness will start its massive dive towards the needs of myself and family over common courtesy and common rules will start.

This is the way it has been in most of the world including North American for its history that is recorded. Even in War Torn areas such as Somalia and Bosnia, 7 days was the magic number, 7 days was the catalyst point.

Up to 7 days, the hardest thing of travel was natural obstacles and debris along with stuck and broke down vehicles. After 7 days, the formation of local forces of many sizes and descriptions started taking effect, and most effectively at restricting the passage of people along with vehicles passing from one point to another.

So like Henry says, he is in his hidey hole his last stance his retreat already as they moved there quite a number of years ago, or you need to be at your organized group location.

No one man or family will last as an island, nobody.... anywhere. Yes some individuals will survive on their own such as the British SAS soldier did in his escape and evasion for the full year in Iraq and Afghanistan, but where one succeeded, how many others failed?

7 days, be where you need to be now, or be there in the first 3 days for comfort reasons. 7 days, well chances drop to about 30% success rates after that. Large convoys or heavily armed and willing to use the heavily armed with modified vehicles will get through most blockages if total collapse happens. But, if there is not total collapse, use of firearms will be costly in terms of jail and repercussions, keep that in mind.

Take care.

Offline Edible Wild Food

• Wild Foody
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • Wild Foody
    • Edible Wild Food
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2014, 01:39:41 PM »
Excellent information on this topic. Wild E - yes, the first 72 hours have proven to be the polite hours.  I have to agree with M590a1 - a comment mentioned way earlier in this thread.

Most people in Toronto (or another major metropolis)  will not have a clue what is going on until things get really nasty and by then it'll be too late for them. I tend to believe those who are 'asleep' to the issues that face us would hang tight thereby reducing the numbers of those heading north/east or west.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »
This is a topic that I have read about and thought about to a great extent.  I live in the city and rent my home and have no BOL.  I am slowly getting to know other preppers in my area and perhaps one day will have a plan and BOL to go to with them or a meetup location so that we can band together.  For now, I have determined that bugging in is my preference and will be sufficient for the majority of situations.  However, like many have said on here, if there is a total collapse (quick collapse of the economy, pandemic, EMP, etc.), the key is determining when to bug out.  With no BOL at this time, we (being myself, my two daughters, and my mother), would have to do the "stealth camp" thing.  I car share with a friend and neighbour and cannot count of having the use of a vehicle.  However, even if I did, I know it wouldn't necessarily be usable.  I think the "get out in the first 72 hours" and the 7 day thing would mean the difference between driving out and walking out.

I do have the goal of purchasing some BOL property that I will move to one day, but it will be at least 2-3 years before I can do that.  I also want to have my own 4x4 vehicle.  In the meantime, I will pack my BOB, plan our route, and do the best I can to ensure we will survive if we have to bug out.  This is most certainly a part of my preps.