Author Topic: Purchasing Silver and Gold coins  (Read 13747 times)

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
Purchasing Silver and Gold coins
« on: September 04, 2013, 07:14:13 AM »
Can anyone with any experience in this tell me the best place to purchase?

I've been to CIBC, Scotia, and RBC.  1 Troy ounce coins are fluctuating around $29/each, and 1/10 Gold coins at $160/each, 1/4, 1/2 all around the same too between each of the banks.

The banks seem to set there rates for purchasing these coins roughly on the market, but also watch each other to make sure they are all in line.  But...is there another market to purchase these from or is it basically stuck with the banks?  I'm not talking amount mint proofed coins, but the standard non circulation gold or silver coins stamped with a maple leaf.....  Is there a better place to buy them?
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline M590a1

• VIP
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: Purchasing Silver and Gold coins
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 08:31:30 AM »
Pretty rocks > food?   When the time comes I wouldn't trade a $160 gold coin for a slice of bread... or toilet paper.
If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm, but because of those who look on without doing anything.

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 01:34:31 PM »
Can anyone with any experience in this tell me the best place to purchase?

I've been to CIBC, Scotia, and RBC.  1 Troy ounce coins are fluctuating around $29/each, and 1/10 Gold coins at $160/each, 1/4, 1/2 all around the same too between each of the banks.

The banks seem to set there rates for purchasing these coins roughly on the market, but also watch each other to make sure they are all in line.  But...is there another market to purchase these from or is it basically stuck with the banks?  I'm not talking amount mint proofed coins, but the standard non circulation gold or silver coins stamped with a maple leaf.....  Is there a better place to buy them?

I have researched them all and the best place is GoldandSilverbull.com
there was a thread about best place to buy over at the canadainpreppersnetwork too.

Hope this helps

Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 01:39:00 PM »
I tried pasting that link into my browser and it isn't an active site...?
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:46:52 PM »
Try Ahern coins and exchange in Calgary used to be 2 dollars above on silver. I quit buying silver when it went over 16/oz. started buying when it was 7/oz. It is alittle hard to eat but if youre looking for an insulation against a currency crash it's about the best way to go. Try sunset mint out of the states.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »

http://www.silvergoldbull.com/

what I like about this place is that they sell smaller than 1 oz coins. if silver goes up dramatically  and you only have  1 oz coins that are worth lets say $50, you want to have some smaller coins too. sure you could make 1 piece into 2 pieces if you had to but why.

Above all, adapt

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 02:41:58 PM »

No The domain is for sale: C$19,541.85 but you can buy  goldandsilverbull.ca for $9.99 go figure.  :)
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 04:23:13 PM »
I have had very good luck with silvergoldbul.ca in rocky mountain house? alberta.
I friend recently tried to buy silver at banks and FEW would sell her physical.
silver gold bull even bought a 100oz bar from me and gave me the equivalent in 1 oz.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 12:17:11 AM »
I like the website for the variety they have.

They are slightly less than the bank, until u factor in the extra costs and then they end up more.

Gold and silver have been used for thousands of years in commerce and trade, so I think it's a great idea to diversify and have this on hand. But....still lookin for that best deal possible. :)

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 12:41:31 AM »
Also, something I forgot to mention and that you are probably already aware of...

silver can be used for things where gold can not. silver can be used to disinfect (remember our grammas used to put a silver dollar in the milk can) and also for medicinal purposes.

anyone think of something else?  :)

Above all, adapt

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »
Absolutely little lady, silver and gold can both be used to make colloidial compounds to combat anything from colds to infections in open wounds.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 08:32:58 AM »
Silver is a great electrical conductor.  If it wasn't so overpriced for it's abundance, we would be using it for electrical applications in lieu of copper. 

As for silver used in colloidals..there is no evidence this actually works and at best can be considered a placebo.  Silver as a disinfectant in a compound does work...but economically speaking there are way better disinfectants out there on the market, or found in nature with a better shelf life.

CIBC and Royal Bank are both 3-5 days to deliver coinage to the branch where ordered. ...and thanks again for the link as it has some other hobby coins I think are kinda cool! :)   

Ayn Rand

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 01:56:18 PM »
Silver is a great electrical conductor.  If it wasn't so overpriced for it's abundance, we would be using it for electrical applications in lieu of copper. 

As for silver used in colloidals..there is no evidence this actually works and at best can be considered a placebo.  Silver as a disinfectant in a compound does work...but economically speaking there are way better disinfectants out there on the market, or found in nature with a better shelf life.

CIBC and Royal Bank are both 3-5 days to deliver coinage to the branch where ordered. ...and thanks again for the link as it has some other hobby coins I think are kinda cool! :)

Thecrownsown,

We are aware that there are other treatments that are more "economical" than silver. It makes sense that one wouldn't use up all ones silver for medicinal purposes if one had other options. Besides, there are ways one can re use the silver for sure.

And what out "in nature" has a better shelf life that silver??

Above all, adapt

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 05:48:24 PM »

Thecrownsown,

We are aware that there are other treatments that are more "economical" than silver. It makes sense that one wouldn't use up all ones silver for medicinal purposes if one had other options. Besides, there are ways one can re use the silver for sure.

And what out "in nature" has a better shelf life that silver??

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear in my post.  It wasn't that there are just more economical methods than an attempted use of silver for medicinal applications...it's that there is no real medicinal use of silver except for some silver compounds that have limited application and are all but obsolete compared to other products. I'd use vinegar first...

If you are interested in belief's of the usage of silver, perhaps it's better suited for the fringe section. This post is about purchasing silver the cheapest as possible.

I don't want to get into a bickering match on your beliefs or anyone elses, and just want to keep to the topic at hand.   

Ayn Rand

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »
No, I will not back down to this misinformation.

In the hospital, we have gauze that is embedded with silver. It helps wounds heal and is also a disinfectant. It works the best.

There is also a dressing called Medihoney which has honey in it. It also often works better than traditional dressings/antibiotics. Honey is a disinfectant and a person who is resistant to superbugs such as MRSA and VRE (thus certain anitibiotics don't work for them), can use this.

Sorry for trying to help

Above all, adapt

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 07:24:12 PM »
there's a pawnshop online called CRIB out of edmonton where I used to buy some of my silver don't know if it's still there. But his prices were just above market easy to deal with too. give him a go.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 08:34:07 PM »
At the risk of entering this fray let me begin by stating THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET. Silver in many forms has been used effectively in LIMITED applications. It CAN be beneficial in the treatment of wounds and will enhance, in some cases, the efficacy of antibiotics and healing. In modern medicine it is used as an adjunct to current therapy.. not as a separate therapy on it's own. It is the same with honey. Honey is a super saturation of sugar and any bacteria or other organism that comes in contact with it is basically desiccated and dies. Honey it self has no real "antibacterial" properties. What it does do is provide an environment where the bacteria cannot survive. Modern antibiotics work on an intercellular level to interrupt the ability of the bacteria to reproduce therefore allowing the body's immune system to gain the upper hand. Because of this the bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic through evolution. Nothing can become resistant to dehydration.

Infections such as MRSA and VRE are only the tip of the iceberg of antibiotic resistant bacteria. They can infect wounds of those who have weakened immune systems as well as those who have had the normal flora and fauna of their bodies altered through use of antibiotics. The most prevalent of this type is C Difficile which runs rampant in a bowel that has had it's normal bacteria load altered by antibiotics. That is a reason to eat yogurt when you are on antibiotics. Secondly many people are carriers of mrsa and others yet never develop an infection. Every patient who is admitted to hospital is swabbed to see if they have it. Nose, armpits, groin and rectum are swabbed and cultured. I guess the bottom line is there is some evidence for the use of silver containing compounds in healthcare settings in very limited applications. Is silver the magic bullet? No. If it was, there never would have been a need OR MARKET to justify the development of antibiotics. If silver was truly as effective as many believe it to be... why did deaths in the US civil war from disease (413458) so far outstrip deaths from wounds (105070)... both sides included. TOTAL deaths for this conflict was 618,000.

It is difficult when belief meets science.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:47:47 PM by JustABear »

JAB

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 08:56:52 PM »
At the risk of entering this fray let me begin by stating THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET. Silver in many forms has been used effectively in LIMITED applications. It CAN be beneficial in the treatment of wounds and will enhance, in some cases, the efficacy of antibiotics and healing. In modern medicine it is used as an adjunct to current therapy.. not as a separate therapy on it's own. It is the same with honey. Honey is a super saturation of sugar and any bacteria or other organism that comes in contact with it is basically desiccated and dies. Honey it self has no real "antibacterial" properties. What it does do is provide an environment where the bacteria cannot survive. Modern antibiotics work on an intercellular level to interrupt the ability of the bacteria to reproduce therefore allowing the body's immune system to gain the upper hand. Because of this the bacteria can become resistant to the antibiotic through evolution. Nothing can become resistant to dehydration.

Infections such as MRSA and VRE are only the tip of the iceberg of antibiotic resistant bacteria. They can infect wounds of those who have weakened immune systems as well as those who have had the normal flora and fauna of their bodies altered through use of antibiotics. The most prevalent of this type is C Difficile which runs rampant in a bowel that has had it's normal bacteria load altered by antibiotics. That is a reason to eat yogurt when you are on antibiotics. Secondly many people are carriers of mrsa and others yet never develop an infection. Every patient who is admitted to hospital is swabbed to see if they have it. Nose, armpits, groin and rectum are swabbed and cultured. I guess the bottom line is there is some evidence for the use of silver containing compounds in healthcare settings in very limited applications. Is silver the magic bullet? No. If it was, there never would have been a need OR MARKET to justify the development of antibiotics. If silver was truly as effective as many believe it to be... why did deaths in the US civil war from disease (413458) so far outstrip deaths from wounds (105070)... both sides included. TOTAL deaths for this conflict was 618,000.

It is difficult when belief meets science.

Agreed.

Above all, adapt

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2013, 11:43:10 PM »
I thought this was all behind us and returned to the subject of purchasing precious metals. Hope the places I mentioned helped out Crowns.

tata for now...
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 12:02:22 AM »
Absolutely little lady, silver and gold can both be used to make colloidial compounds to combat anything from colds to infections in open wounds.

I felt the need to add to this as erroneous statements need to be addressed and clarified less they lead to people making incorrect decisions.

JAB