Author Topic: Water collection  (Read 2207 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Water collection
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:32:11 PM »
Havent tried this..yet but when I was in new mexico I saw these sheets of tin covering some tanks. appaarently the sheets collect condensation at night and are angled to drip into the tanks. the water was cool and tasty(had to try it) now if this can be done in the desert, imagine what we could do with this here in canada.....any feed back would be nice
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Re: Water collection
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:27 PM »
Interesting idea.

One thought would be winter. The structure holding these condenser sheets would have to be significant enough to support a healthy amount of ice in the winter. Just a thought.

Pictures would be cool.

Expanding the thought process.......would this work as a quasi-solar still??? If the sheets were long enough, say 12' +, could a vessel for collecting urine be established near the upper half of the sheet and the bottom would extend downhill below the level of the urine vessel and the condensation would then drop into a collection vessel/tank. In theory, the evaporating vapour would be pure water (H2O) and all the contaminates would remain in the sludge at the bottom/sides of the urine vessel.

And if it would work to recycle urine, it would also, in theory, work for purifying salt water, grey water or swamp/pond water.

Thoughts???

Mountainman.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 05:41:15 PM »
I believe that a similar idea is being used in the mid east red sea in particular. As for the urine I would probably use some sort of charcoal filter first in the runnoff pipe the re purify it (filters, boiling...) again before consuming. My Dad got dissentery in Nepal not pleasant. But the theory sounds good. What about the smell? and over time you'd have to clean the holding tank what do you do with the solid dry waste? compost? Or just throw it in the river... kidding on the last part before the treehuggers get me
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Gravlore

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
Dew point is what matters. Good idea using it as a primary source of drinking water. Throw a black garbage bag (not sure about plastic leaching) over a branch of a green tree and tie it off. Wait a day and see what you got in the bottom of the bag.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:35:35 AM »
Yes I can deffinately see that working. Same idea as the dew collecting on the inside of a tent. I think it all boils down to a simple equation of surface and volume. the greater the surface area the greater the volume of water produced.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 12:28:51 PM »
The moisture collectors have been used in the Andes for the past 10 or so years for a mountain village that get clouds but no rain. The tin sheet moisture collector method is also a means of distilling water easy. Put the suspected water in a pot, boil it and put a cookie sheet over it, angled down into a collection container. Basically the same method used to de-salinate water. :)
We learn, We practice, We teach.