Author Topic: Surviving Fallout  (Read 1976 times)

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
Surviving Fallout
« on: November 14, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
This has been very watered down to cater to a teen, game playing audience, but it has some interesting tidbits to it and a nice list of issues to overcome.
It also means you don't need a dictionary to get some of  the key points.

How to Survive Real Life Fallout

Personally, I was particularly happy to see that science is working on EMP-proofing our electronics! I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that our geniuses see this as a legitimate problem, but since it doesn't bring immediate $, I didn't expect funding.

Looking into the water situation, apparently reverse osmosis with activated charcoal filtration is effective in removing most radioactive materials and even reducing tritium counts.

It will not remove  Iodine-131 or Cesium-137.

Iodine-131 only has a half life of 8 days. So after two months, a reserve water supply would have about .8% contamination and could be consumed safely with iodine tablets.

Cesium-137 unfortunately has a half life of 30 years, meaning the same levels won't be reached for 240 years, and I haven't found much (backed by science), that can naturally and reliably neutralize or separate this from water, however task specific ion exchangers (pdf), can reduce concentrations by as much as 78%-97%. Who knew water softeners were actually more functional than simply removing the flavour of frog butts from country water supplies!
I suspect this would turn your tanks into radioactive materials requiring heavy shielding and the filters would become toxic waste, to be handled appropriately... but if you were really determined to survive...
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: Surviving Fallout
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:03:01 AM »
http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm

what to do in the event of nukes
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: Surviving Fallout
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 05:04:21 AM »