Author Topic: thoughts for discussion  (Read 1604 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
thoughts for discussion
« on: November 04, 2015, 05:34:16 AM »
http://www.nononsenseselfdefense.com/five_stages.html

5 stages of crime

the criminal mindset

and the victim mindset

dont look scared or an 'easy' target

but dont be cocky
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: thoughts for discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2015, 09:26:39 AM »
Good article and should be a must read for everyone. Although there always some rouge factors that may throw a wrench in the works. If the attacker is fueled by drugs and driven only by the need to get more some of the theory does not apply. It is always wisest to avoid confrontation if humanly possible because in every violent confrontation there are winners and looser. Although there are steps that you can take to put the odds in your favor the final outcome is always 50/50. Chances of 50/50 are not one that I would like to participate in.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 10:50:58 AM »
Buddhist monks spent centuries pondering on weird things like this and came up with something translated loosely as 'The Four Right Efforts'. They apply to most things, but for self-defence purposes, I'd put them in the order:

Effort to Avoid: Just don't be there, or de-escalate the situation, more immediately, don't get hit. Miss by an inch or miss by a mile and you're still going to be happier if you don't take one in the kisser. "The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting" - Sun Tzu

Effort to Develop: Learn the skills you may need in an emergency. Breaking holds, blocks, body movement (eg. not tripping on yourself, not moving like a victim), situational awareness, psychology, communication skills. "Knowing is half the battle"... so is loosing, be ready for that, too.

Effort to Maintain: Stay fit, keep active, practice your skills, manipulate social situations for fun and profit, practice focus and awareness

Effort to Overcome: As Conan said (some say Kahn, meh...), "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!". When all else fails, there comes a time when manual intervention might become appropriate. Keep in mind that in a day to day confrontation, this could mean severe injury to both sides, possibly hospitalization, in a wilderness or SHTF, this could mean a slow and painful death. There's a reason most top predators just don't engage one another, and stick to easier prey.

I recently had someone tell me about their 'self-defence' class and I was appalled. It concentrated on strength, strikes and fancy 'hope this works' pressure points and show off moves. Thankfully this person didn't really feel 'secure' with their new knowledge and I was able to show them how to use large body targets/anchor points, gravity, inertia and guaranteed pain instead, but I'm sure there were some that left the class feeling they could take on the world. In a non-martial society, I think there is a big disconnect in perspective on how chaotic a fight is and how mind-altering adrenaline can be and this makes us all a little less safe  and a little less likely to be aware.
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
I agree Zed, it is difficult to conceive how a fight might turn out no matter how much "training" you have had unless less you have been in one (or a dozen).
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 11:54:39 AM »
I agree Zed, it is difficult to conceive how a fight might turn out no matter how much "training" you have had unless less you have been in one (or a dozen).

Or a hundred. Each 'fight' is unique unto itself. You may anticipate results based on prior experience but you CANNOT guarantee them. Each encounter must be gauged on it's own merits, pro and con and the potential benefit if you choose to engage. There is always risk.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB