Author Topic: I cleaned my cast iron ...  (Read 1237 times)

Offline grandma

• Contributer
I cleaned my cast iron ...
« on: August 27, 2013, 11:12:49 AM »
frying pans.  The build-up of years and years of stuff on my cast iron frying pans started to look just too yucky to me last night.  As the evening was growing chilly, I thought I'd clean the self-cleaning oven..turn the switch on and walk away...yeah, I know, not really hard.  Checking to make sure there was nothing in the oven (once, 30 years ago, a rubber doll was sacrificed when DD put her in the oven to hide from DS) , I noticed those frying pans in there, grubby-looking and sneering at me.  I left them in there, turned the oven on to clean and went to a meeting. When I returned 3 hours later and unlocked the oven door, I was shocked to see the conditon of the frying pans...they were covered in what looked like sugar.  I took them out and wiped all the white ash off them, and lo and behold, they were almost new looking.  I will have to be cautious until they are seasoned properly again (bacon for breakfast this morning helped start the process). but I now know it can be done.
"You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture, just get the people to stop reading them." Ray Bradbury.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: I cleaned my cast iron ...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2013, 11:18:59 AM »
Cool post,
never thought of using the oven that way to do that.