• VIP
Drones
« on: August 03, 2015, 12:37:32 AM »
The Count Down is On

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: Drones
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 01:59:33 PM »
seems odd the police did not look at the footage on the drone..
they have no problem peeking into cell phones and tablets.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 09:45:51 PM »
All,

With the improvements in drone technology, has anyone tried to use one(drone) for performing aerial recon of your own property?? These things could be very useful for defence of BOL. Just thinking out loud.

MM.

PS - What drone would you recommend for BOL defence??

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2016, 03:12:56 PM »
They may be useful. I personally would depend more on hardwire sensors. They would be much more labor intensive to install but once in they would be virtually foolproof, unjammable and undetectable. A drone would need a control frequency as well as a transmit frequency for any video device you used. Both could be detected and jammed. This would result in loss of the drone with no further recon possible. At least with ground sensors and hardwire, if one goes dead you know where the problem is. Also a drone requires a real time operator and monitor while hardwire sensors are basically passive and will provide warning with no dedicated observer. Just a few thoughts.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 03:14:28 PM by JustABear »
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2016, 07:49:56 PM »
JAB,

No argument here regarding hardwired detection devices.

I also do not see drones as long-term assets. They are consumables. A self-destruct feature would be convenient.

I am also not suggesting that a drone(s) would replace any other device, only that they could add another layer. A layer that provides real-time data on the situation/conditions around your primary location.

Your observations about the vulnerabilities of a drone are valid and real. Secure command and video freq's would be hard to maintain if someone wanted to jam or deny access to those said freq's.

Any other input out there?? Any favourite drone models that work better than others?? Long fly time?? Best camera??

MM.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 03:34:59 PM »
A major consideration regarding drones would be control distance. Over what distance would you be able to maintain control and would objects in line of sight defeat radio signals as some do with comms gear?
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 03:10:16 PM »
JAB,

I wonder if flight paths could be programmed into a drone. Manual lift off and landing, but once in the air hit a command button and the drone would fly a pre-programmed flight route - then there is no issue with jamming or eavesdropping on freq's. The last command is to fly "home". You could have a known flight time and know that in 63 minutes someone has to have the controller ready to power up and "catch" your drone to land it.

More thinking out  loud.

MM