Author Topic: Roof Top Tent Units: Good Idea??  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Roof Top Tent Units: Good Idea??
« on: July 04, 2015, 12:10:03 AM »
Evenin' Folks,

I have been pondering shelter solutions for bugging out and the BOV. I keep coming back to roof top tent units. They seem to be very popular in Australia and for safari's in Africa.

Has anyone here had any firsthand, field experience with a rooftop tent?? If so, pro's?? con's??

Here is a unit that looks interesting to me:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Fast-fit-military-color-dome-tent_60079176845.html

Now let's see if I can post a picture of the unit:

Looks like the picture above. Thoughts?? Opinions?? Comments??

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: Roof Top Tent Units: Good Idea??
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 05:36:27 AM »
Parkerhale bought one for the truck when we went to Texas last year, we never did get a chance to try it out..this year we came across a better deal on a truck camper...

WE have been trying to sell the truck one..as I like the idea of the camper better then a tent on the truck..they are more solid,rain and bug proof and have the propane heater.stove and fridge...we have some bug out supplies packed and ready to go..so no need to unpack,repack,re-organize etc...

We just got back from a weeks worth of travel and we seem to be more exhausted at night then we would be in a normal day, in SHTF you want to make some of the things you need to do easier...

Now for just camping and if you like to tent it,I can imagine they are a great idea,but remember all the set up and take down you will need to do..oh and P.S do the dang things ever fit back in the bag the way they started...NOOOOO
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Parkerhale308

• Asset
Re: Roof Top Tent Units: Good Idea??
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »

To add to Kelee877
the tent I purchased for the truck last year from Cabelas if anyone is interested let me know I'd like to get $350.00 Canadian for the tent. I paid $350.00 in U.S. currency last year. Like Kelee877 said we didn't get a chance to use the tent so it has been in storage since we got it.  The link below if anyone is interested can read the description and see pictures of the tent inside and out.

[size=78%]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camping/Tents-Shelters/Truck-Tents-Shades%7C/pc/104795280/c/104779080/sc/630564480/Kodiak-Canvas-Truck-Tent/715625.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ftruck-tents-shades%2F_%2FN-1117872%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_630564480[/size]