Author Topic: Travel Concerns When Bugging Out  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
Travel Concerns When Bugging Out
« on: June 13, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »
A specific BOV is great and so is a BOL, but you have to plan how to get the BOV to the BOL.
What is the Reason that has caused you to Bug Out? Is it a natural disaster and you need to get to a safe place to ride it out or is it our worst fears and everyone is packing heat? Of course in between these are many other scenarios. This is why it is good to sit down with whoever else is bugging out with you and put scenarios into categories according to danger.
How far away is the BOL? Some people are lucky enough to live at the BOL but most of us don’t. Some choose a place fairly close but I know some preppers who are planning a day of driving or even more. Mine is five hours regular driving. And for sale…
How long has it been since the majority of the population has realized the SHTF? Are you ahead of the curve or does your trip include police, military and homemade road blocks?
Who is travelling with you? Are you in an organized  group? Are you going to try to convince someone new to come with you? (She’s HOT and she sold me tires…) Are you suddenly being introduced to your wife’s new friend from work and her family? Did your brother just show up begging for help? Are you a one person wonder?
Are you alone or are there many vehicles? Is it just you and yours in the BOV or have you got a convoy? If it’s two or more what are your communication plans?
Have you practiced a Bug Out? Yes communications has been mentioned and now the style of travel. Stay close, keep a few cars in between, keep a few kilometers in between, work with a timed schedule, security, fuel, food, rest stops, caches, or OH S#!T?
Do you have alternate BOL locations and routes or are any even available? This is only an example but say a Nuke or volcano has destroyed every one of your routes to the BOL, so now you either have to go away from the fallout and take many times further to get to the main BOL because that’s where you left the 200 cases of Pringles or you automatically pick the next best option and go to one of the spots that only has 2 cases of potatoe chips? I mean TP!
How good are your maps? Have you compared the maps to the roads on the way by actually driving around and taking notes or do you actually believe that all of those marked roads are passable at any time of the year?
What time of the year is it? Yes I led into this… I went back to where I used to live a few years ago to go hunting. In December. That family had moved from down the road and no other family took up residence so the grader doesn’t go down that four mile stretch of road in the winter now. But the Elk still do, two miles from where I was watching them. Taunting me standing there with my snow shoes and calf sled. Not bitter, but I did shoot a squirrel with a 30-06. Point is I couldn’t get a vehicle through not even my Mighty Jeep! If that is the situation to get to your BOL you might be in a pickle.
And now we They Them us have the Pin Point Electromagnetic Pulse Drone... HaHaaaaaa! which is why i have a tin foil hat. and don't use capital letters anymore. or propper grmmer and spehling ;D
Insert angry grumbling here...

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
Re: Travel Concerns When Bugging Out
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 10:30:20 PM »
Hey why did my karma rating drop?

Offline Duffmanprepper

• Contributer
    • Prep4emergency
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 10:37:06 PM »
I've got so much to work on lol
Preparedness is like a condom, I would rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:15:52 AM »
Duffman is write  so much to work on!
As i consider myself ready for just about anything i also see that i know im not call it denial its something you learn and practice every day of the year
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:03:38 PM »
It's all about planning and organization. I have started a booklet to have checklists for my stuff. Having a corresponding list in each B.O.B., tote, box and crate is making it easier to know what I have versus what I should look for. I also used a sharpy and put a general list on each storage tote.
The same will go for how to organise it all in the worlds second greatest B.O.V. And practice loading once a month. But not doing it loaded... that didn't work out :P

Offline Duffmanprepper

• Contributer
    • Prep4emergency
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 11:41:55 PM »
I'm starting to just practice with the family bugging out to the car and making our trips to the store a game for them the kids are getting fast can be in the car with seat belts in under 3 minutes
Preparedness is like a condom, I would rather have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:23:05 PM »
That is a great first step for anyone with small children.

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:21 AM »
Two cents here

Parkerhale and I just got back from 5 days of traveling, even stopped in and meet icrcc and his wife...

here are a few things we found when traveling and we tried to make this like it was a bug out...

WE bought a truck camper for a good price and did some fix ups ourselves...there is a lot of space for stuff..and I put together emergency supplies, things just in case..so a majority of the spaces got filled up..things like emergency candle making,first aid kit,laundry making supplies..I did the whole nine yards,some of each from the house

So here is what we found, if you are going to take several days to get to your BOL..then be prepared to move stuff...move it to sleep,move it to eat,move it to travel..move,move move...no matter how big the space in your BOV the walls will eventually feel like they are closing in on you..

You will at some point and time run out of water...

you will have a hard time with the bugs..oh I thought I was outdoor savy....but after this trip I do not want to encounter another mosquito for a few weeks...this year it is wet and has rained a lot...so we fought mosquito's every minute we were outside, the only time we got away from them was when we went fishing..so no camp fires,no walks..we would escape by playing cards in the truck camper...the sound of the mosquito's were so loud at night that even now we can still hear them and we have been home for a day and half

WE brought the boat with us, and in some of the spots we went to we could not turn around at one point parkerhale had to turn the boat around by hand and turn the truck around and re-hook the boat..while fighting the masses of mosquito's and deer flies

Change in diet and the amount you drink will add to your misery and especially children....we have a porta potty in the camper, for use of number one only..vut as noted change of diet,traveling will catch up to even the hard corers...always have a back up plan for this...maybe 2-3 back up plans.a bucket with a couple of bags lined is good...cause you never know when that time will hit,cause the body will do what it wants to do and going out to the great outdoors will only get you a few more mosquito bites were you don't want them...

You need to plan a good stable healthy diet..we noticed that the walks(when we could go out and do them) the fresh air and the long drives..really tired us out...have set of meals planned in advance and do not skip meals..you will burn yourself out

you WILL have motion sickness,when you spend a long amount of time in a vehicle for several days you will stop and feel like you have been on water for days

if I can think of anything else the relates to this thread and our 5 day ..please note we slept on crown land and parks ...

http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
Thank you Kelee, this is the kind of info people need to absorb. Bugging out will not be a pretty walk in the park for most people.

The MOVING STUFF issue is a great point. Yes, no matter how well things are placed, you will likely need to move some items to get to the one you want or need at that time.

The MOSKITO issue falls into planning for the time of year. It also falls into general prepps. Winter clothing and a treatment for dry skin and lips just like summer clothing and bug deterrent.

The WATER issue is always and forever. Yes you can move some with you, but if you are on the move you have to find and filter water likely twice a day or more depending on your system.

The TRAILER issue as you experienced pulling your boat will befall most preppers. How many of us plan on yanking a trailer full of stuff during SHTF? My hand goes up. This is why I believe it is so important to plan to travel with others and have a scout vehicle out front that can transmit a “Stop!” And or “Turn Around!” back to the main group. I realize this sounds somewhat like overkill for a few of you, but trust me you need to have things like this in mind.

The CHANGE IN DIET and POTTY issues go hand in hand as you so happily discovered. I have been saying for years that we should all be consuming some of what is in our prepps as part of our regular diet. Thrive, Mountain House, Patriot Pantry, military rations, Kraft Dinner or stuff your mom canned last year all need to be going through your guts now. Not as a mainstay most likely, but at least once a week. Oh Boo Hoo… you have to open those well packaged boxes and actually use some of that twenty year supply you are making credit card payments on. Yes you do IMHO. If you don’t there is a good chance you and or little Tommy or Tammy will have tummy hurts and not be able to function and think adequately during bug out because your belly doesn’t like the foamy powdery tin flavored fair your are dumping down your gullet while moving fast under stress. Hmmm long sentence… When I was in the miliscary I would eat one MRE a week when I was at home. Now I rotate my prepper food with my regular diet. Mind you at this time in my case I have none of the long term packaged prepper food in my inventory but will be getting some of the same brands my friends have for the mentioned purpose above. Also in case I can’t get to my stuff and end up consuming what is around.

The bag in the bucket really is one of the better plans for travel. Nuff said.

TRAVEL PLANS for stops, walks, fresh air etc. Great points. MOTION SICKNESS is going to be a reality. It may be already for some people when travelling, not to mention the dog and cat if they come along. Fish tank? Really? Seriously?

A set meal, water, walk around the vehicle schedule is a great idea.

Again Kelee, thank you.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:38:25 PM by Quietman »

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 02:10:13 AM »
CONVOY

Your thoughts please.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
If you have adequate numbers in your group a convoy would be ideal. That is something you would have to train for and develop drills to respond to different scenarios. Also having preplanned routes with built in detours and rest stops would be necessary. It all comes down to planning. Routes would need to be scouted, rest stops and overnights examined from a distance, resource and security point of view. If necessary caches of fuel may have to placed at different locations. You would have to know what vehicles would be used, fuel types and capacity, develop maximum travel distances per unit of fuel. Vehicle load outs, IE who will carry what... will each vehicle have a mix or be specific to content. Develop and practice 'immediate actions' to respond to events that may happen along the way.  Communications. There is so much more.... It is NOT just about throwing your stuff in a vehicle and doing a road trip with your friends.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 02:56:36 PM »
All True JAB.
Strength in numbers is great, but there may be times when one vehicle at a time is the best solution.
Planning and practice before the time comes.
Scouting and surveillance during the movement.

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 08:28:25 PM »
I would be worried about the traffic...if you have evr watched when SHTF in the way of tornado,floods etc...everyone waits till the last minute and head for the roads..cars run out of gas, traffic gets backed up..

If you are going to do a convoy you should really be bugged out early or plan back roads...be ready well ahead of time..we have all our bug out stuff packed and ready to go now..

need to stock up on gas for the road
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Online tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »

you will have a hard time with the bugs..oh I thought I was outdoor savy....but after this trip I do not want to encounter another mosquito for a few weeks...this year it is wet and has rained a lot...so we fought mosquito's every minute we were outside, the only time we got away from them was when we went fishing..so no camp fires,no walks..we would escape by playing cards in the truck camper...the sound of the mosquito's were so loud at night that even now we can still hear them and we have been home for a day and half

Just a little tidbit about mosquitoes.  I take 400 milligrams of vitamin B1 every day during the summer.  I also spend quite a bit of time outdoors and I don't recall being bitten by a mosquito for the last three years.  For those who buy the mosquito patch, it does the same thing (saturates your body with B1).
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2015, 11:21:32 PM »
Thanks again Kelee.
We are getting vehicles ready now as well. Maps, radios etc.

Offline Quietman

• Contributer
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 11:25:02 PM »
Thanks Taz.
Organic, natural and modern methods for many things should be the focus of all preppers.
If B1 works for you then others can try it too. There may be other solutions that could be brought into the discussion.
Now OFF! and Muskol can be valueable barter items down the road.