Author Topic: Storing fuels  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Parkerhale308

• Asset
Storing fuels
« on: June 09, 2015, 12:07:39 PM »
Looking for some advise on storing fuels i.e Ronson lighter fuel, Lamp oil and fondue fuel, can these fuels be safely stored in a vehicle or truck camper without worry of combustion from summer heat. What's the best way to store the fuels safely and where in the vehicle is the best place to store fuels, as well as will the summer heat and cool down at nights harm the fuels.
Transporting the fuels long term any dangers and advice that would help!

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
Re: Storing fuels
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:42 PM »
I store Coleman fuel in my camper all year long. It stays in there through summer heat and winter cold. Never any issues regarding leaks or function. I think the major concern would be making certain the spout is always up so that when pressure builds from the heat any venting would be minute amounts of gas and not liquid. So long as the integrity of the container wasn't compromised you should be fine. Just my opinion based on personal experience. NOT scientifically tested so no liability if you should choose to follow this advice.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
I would steer away from longer term storage of fuels in plastic containers.. put it in some kinda glass or metal container. just my thoughts.

also.. keep it away from direct sunlight
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:54:53 AM »
I would steer away from longer term storage of fuels in plastic containers.. put it in some kinda glass or metal container. just my thoughts.

also.. keep it away from direct sunlight

Yes I agree with that I had (have) some concentrated water soluble industrial cleaner stored in the plastic containers it came in. Expensive stupp but juast amazing at cleaning just about anything.  Bout a few gallons about 15 years ago. After about 5 years it ate through the plastic and I lost some. I changed all the containers for more robust plastic containers. Another 5 years and it was eating through them too. I changed them all to metal containers and have  not had a problem since.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/