Author Topic: Cleaning a wood stove  (Read 1623 times)

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Cleaning a wood stove
« on: February 18, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »
Good article on the APN for cleaning a wood stove for those that do not do it on a regular basis.  It is pretty basic but well worth looking at. Many people tend to forget that wood stoves if not property maintained can be very dangerous. In the last year we have been called out to three structure fires. Two were caused by wood stoves the other  one was arson. The two caused by the wood stove were fully engulfed by the time we got there which was only a matter of a very few minutes. In addition we have been called out to three chimney fires in the same period.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2015/02/clean-wood-stove.html
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Re: Cleaning a wood stove
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »
Very interesting. You say you were at all of these fires? Has anyone noticed? You may be a pyro.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:24 PM »
ICRCC,

I recall when I was growing up, that if you burn your potato peelings on a regular basis in a hot fire, it also helps to keep the creasote from building up.

Of course, the worse offender for creating creasote in the first place (IMHO) is using the damper on the chimney to slow the fire down and letting it smolder all night long. I know why this is done, but if you are doing it....you need to know there is a cost to this practice......creasote build-up and chimney fires.

Good article, none-the-less. Thanks.

MM.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 09:17:03 AM »
For last 20 years trough whole winter I have two fires going 24 hours. My wood burning furnace in the house and a small wood stove in the barn. Never had problem. Always clean the chimneys twice trough the winter. (do not have dampers)
If you ever get chimney fire just make sure that all air intakes are closed and in properly build chimney the fire will burn itself out
without any damage. I have seen it done before.
Henry

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:31:11 AM »
Our local volunteer fre department use bags of the same powder they use in fire extinguisher
And just drop it in the chimney in a chimney fire situation stops it on the spot
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid