Author Topic: Brought Out The Dehydrator Today  (Read 1829 times)

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
Brought Out The Dehydrator Today
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:47 AM »
Just before Christmas, I dehydrated some mangos and apricots.  Sweetie absolutely loved the mangos!  We hit a Sam's Club yesterday (about a 2 hour one way trip for us) and picked up mangos, a few cantaloupe and some strawberries.  Tonight I washed the strawberries well in vinegar water and sliced them thin and put on 3 trays of the dehydrator.  Mangos on another 4 trays and melon on
2 trays, set the thermostat for 140 and will let it go until tomorrow.  Sweetie likes her dehydrated fruit on the crisp side, so it takes a few hours longer.

There was a gun and knife show in town this weekend.  Sweetie and I walked around for quite a while and brought home a nice used Buck 2 blade pocket knife and some silicon sleeves for rifles.  Nice little show. 

It snowed here on Thursday.....again.  We got about an inch, but on Friday when we went up to Sam's the town there had about 7-8" of snow.  Brrrr (at least for us!  LOL)

Take care.  :)

Kajun

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: Brought Out The Dehydrator Today
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 05:33:32 AM »
Reminds me we have to pull ours out today or tomorrow....

WE have managed to get a few dehydrators about 7 in total..and where I work they use a meat slicer for the tomatoes and oranges , to use on the plates for a decoration or the tomatoes the sandwiches...they save us the ends and we dehydrate them..we have 2 large bags of oranges and 1 of tomatoes..best we get those going.

We will use the dehydrated tomatoe ends for salad dressings and the oranges for adding to water giving flavour and the vitamins they have in them
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 12:50:38 PM »
I got a good recipe for home made yogurt back in late February and I made a bunch (8 pints or so) using my Excalibur.  It worked great, but 8 pints of yogurt is a bunch of yogurt!  LOL

Sweetie and I went to Lubbock, TX, about 3 hours away, for her to get an angioplasty (everything turned out good).  There's a Goodwill thrift shop on the way over there and they had a 1 quart Salton yogurt maker for $8.  I picked it up, got it home and tried it out a few days later.  It takes 1/2 C plain yogurt as a starter, 1/2 C dry milk, and 1 Quart of 2% milk.  Heat milk to 185, cool to 105, add yogurt and dry milk, mix well and add to the inner container, plug it in, cover with a towel and let it go for 10 hours or so.  So far, I've made 5 batches in it!  Sweeten it with a little Stevia or Truvia, add some crushed strawberries, blueberries, mango, blackberries or a combo of them and wowzers!  Excellent yogurt!  It doesn't last more than about 2 days, though, so I'm either gonna have to make more, more often or go back to the Excalibur and make a 4 pint batch at once.  :)

Kajun

Offline fleetway2

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
I recently acquired one of those "Excaliber" things. No fan. It has sit on my livingroom floor for 3 months. Gonna try to do a big batch of onions this weekend. Any particular kind of onions that work better than others? I like onions in everything.
My brother cheats. He has a wood stove with a grill hanging above it. 50 lbs of onions would be dry in 8 hours.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 05:16:35 PM by fleetway2 »

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:42 AM »
fleetway, I personally have not dehydrated onions or hot peppers, but I've been told that drying the really "aromatic" veggies should be done outside due to the intense vapors they give off.  Makes sense to me.  :)

Offline Malark21

• VIP
  • Risk Management, Occupation & Lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 11:22:50 AM »
We dehydrate the real hot peppers in the dehydrator in our sunroom with the windows open. Not completely outside, but not going to permeate the rest of the house either :)
You do not draw your sword to fight the darkness, you light a candle...

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 12:36:43 PM »
Great idea, but leaving things on my porch is not a great idea. When it warms up a bit, maybe do it in the tool shed.

Offline SENMOldPrepper

• Contributer
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 05:09:17 PM »
malark, sounds like we are liking the same kinds of peppers.  Dry them, grind them up, put them in a little veggie oil, pressurize it and we've got police style pepper spray plus!  I think the police make theirs from cayenne peppers.  LOL