Author Topic: networking question looking for answers  (Read 3122 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
networking question looking for answers
« on: August 22, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »
I,m curious to know how many have a back up plan for their back up plan..

I have noticed that some plans are further in the future by say a couple of years, what would happen if disaster struck today or next week or next month and your long term bug out plans fell through and you could not get to where you wanted to go when you wanted to go...

I came across the write-up real early this morning and have been thinking about this;

http://accordingtohoyt.com/2013/08/21/galts-network/

But thatís still a low probability and the preparations should amount to ďA friend in another city who will come and pick me up at some mutually arranged place.Ē

Its a bit of read but I take what I can personally get out of and well the rest I file for further use..

The best word I can pull out of it,is Network..a network of plans to help one another...

If you ever get a chance read a book called "The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread" its biblical but it explains how you became friends and I mean good friends in a covenant, you never broke your promise,you shared everything(except wives while the 2 of you were still alive) and something happened to one of the people in the covenant then the other took over..If you had to go out on the open road you just showed the cuts on your arm and would be bandits would not touch you, because showing your marks meant " you not only deal with me, you deal with all these men" men in those days because women did not do the covenant...

What I am trying to say,is in all the years I have been doing this, I have only found one other person that is like minded(that I know of in my area) and he is still an hour away from me..and I know and he knows that when SHTF we would open our doors to each other if need be.

Now reading the post of meet and greets is an awesome way to meet like minded people,but what if SHTF before that time...and what if some of you plan to bug out..a system of network is needed from each other to get from point A to point B using the safest methods possible...

In SHTF I would rather have a person who is like minded show up at my door unannounced due to no communications being available then being swamped by DGI"s(those in your town who have no idea whats going to happen) looking for bed and breakfast...

Even if you are SIP person you could be a part of the network a stop over for those on their way to a bug out place...especially for those in the big cities...

The blog was what got me thinking about this..and so many not just in this forum but in many of them, that in so many years is when they will head to their bug out location...and there are many who just don't have the financial means to even think about a bug out plan..but if we are to survive we will have to do some type of community living, and who better to do it with then a family that thinks like you..

feed back would be appreciated

Please do not supply your back up plans just a general idea of what you thinking about a network system is fine and this intragrates the signs that we are all designing into this...before SHTF send out one of your signs to the person who may have to come your way..and in SHTF display one of your own in your front window and if said person shows up and is carrying your sign then you know they are friend
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:30:02 AM by kelee877 »
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
Re: networking question looking for answers
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2013, 10:27:25 AM »
I like this idea.  I think of it as a spider web.  The bigger the web, the better.
I believe it's really important for those that either live in a big city, or commute to work in a big city daily.
My spin on this idea is to have a standardized kit made up of essentials.   I envision the kit shouldn't be bigger than what would fit into a 5 gallon pail.  Each "node" on the web has these kits available to other participants in the web structure.
At a bare minimum, the kit should have enough supplies to help participants get from one node to the next.
Depending on the situation of each node participant, more help can be given, but there would be no obligation to do so under the web agreement. 
Obviously, there would have to be some sort of screening process to enter the web, but once in I think bonds would be made that would become even more helpful than the web itself.  I would think the adjacent node participants would try to help each other out in prepping knowledge, training, and every day life.  They may even become close friends.
Am I crazy?

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2013, 10:54:11 AM »
I have a well developed plan. Should TSHTF this plan would maintain us hopefully to long term self sufficiency. The problem is you never know what kind of SHTF may come along. Therefore I have a backup plan that is on par with my main plan. Both of these plans are continent on remaining in the Northern Ontario region. Again something may come along that makes this impossible so I have another backup plan for comfortable evacuation from the region. If this plan fails I have yet another plan.  It took many years to develop these plans and I am always tweaking them.

Remember if you want your plan to prevail you must practice it regularly.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »
I have a well developed plan. Should TSHTF this plan would maintain us hopefully to long term self sufficiency. The problem is you never know what kind of SHTF may come along. Therefore I have a backup plan that is on par with my main plan. Both of these plans are continent on remaining in the Northern Ontario region. Again something may come along that makes this impossible so I have another backup plan for comfortable evacuation from the region. If this plan fails I have yet another plan.  It took many years to develop these plans and I am always tweaking them.

Remember if you want your plan to prevail you must practice it regularly.

Without revealing to much specifics...can you share your plan.  I wouldn't mind seeing the template to use as a basis...as per another post I really struggle with the loss of communication portion and what everyone does....
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2013, 03:25:58 PM »
ICRCC et al,

Make the plan.

Practice the plan.

Revise the plan.

Test it and revise as needed.

Like you said, the plan is not a static document, it is a living document that changes as your needs change or the situations you are planning for change.

Like those old enough to recall the cold war, when that war ended, with the tumbling down of the Berlin Wall, plans had to change. The USSR was no longer the great threat and the great enemy. Everything changed. The why and what we needed to survive changed.

Plans have to be flexible. SOP's can be rigid. You can have one plan that has built in flexibilities to adapt to changing information, conditions, threats, resources and time. Like knowledge and skills, once you have them you can improvise tools and resources; if you have the foundations of a good plan, you can improvise and adapt the plan to meet your needs.

Specifically,

LOSS OF COMMS SOP:

You need to define your user group. Who does this effect. Once you can define who is connected in this loss of comms, then you can work out the exact sequence of events.

Let's use a general idea here.

Group XZS
Nowhere, ON
LOSS of COMMS SOP

1) In the event of loss of telephone, cell, and/or radio communications
2) Try to establish alternate communication via internet or text enabled cellphone or fax
3) Monitor local AM or FM radio to determine cause and extent of the outage
4) If no local radio, setup monitoring SW, and begin preps for bugin or bugout. Fill available vessels with water. Start charging all rechargeable batteries. Ensre vehicles have a full tank of fuel. BOB's are made ready.
5) Send a runner/messenger to the closest member OR post a message at the group RV point. Check for messages posted at the group RV point.
6) If you find yourself in a bubble, no information coming in and not able to get information out; If there are no direct threats against you. Hunkerdown and continue to monitor all available sources of information - CB, AM, FM, TV, SW, HAM, FRS, GMRS, VHF, UHF, Internet, and any other source you may have access to.
7) Do not over-react. Do not under-react.
8) If a direct threat is presented against you, defend in place if possible. If not, bugout to the Group RV point. Wait required amount of time, if safe to do so. If not, move to the secondary Group RV point. Continue down the list of RV Points, then make haste for the BOL.
9) IF you are the first one to the BOL. Begin security operations until other arrive. Keep a low profile. Do not attract unwanted attention.
10) Once a sufficient number of your Group have assembled. Have a meeting. Share all available information/intel. Once all is known, make the best decisions possible with the information available. Be prepared to revise this decision as time and information change.

Or something similar.

Hope that helps a little.

Mountainman.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 03:27:40 PM by Mountainman »

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2013, 06:43:10 PM »
MountainMan,
is this from your BOOK?

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 12:19:40 PM »
WildE,

No, I just wrote that from memory. Did I miss some important points??

MM.

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:49 PM »
NO not that I can see, but since it looks like it is from the book, and I believe that it is almost identical,
draw reference to the book, that it is for sale, marketing 101

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
WildE,

I am creative, a thinker, a writer, a planner, a designer, a builder of prototype gear, I am not a marketer, a seller nor a salesman of any shade. I cannot in good conscience flog my book at every turn. I expect my book to make its way into the world, without my intervention on a daily basis. Thus, from a marketing perspective I am doomed to fail. But, from a writing perspective, people want my book and they are willing to pay for it. In that regard, I am successful. I can live with that.

Thanks for your continuous promotions of my book, friend. :)

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2013, 02:23:37 PM »
yes,, MM
I know, that is why I just fixed the links in your profile so that now they are clickable, so people can click on them now and they will go to your websites!

8)

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... :P
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 03:47:24 AM »
So, what was the main question again.? :-\
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 09:06:17 AM »
So, what was the main question again.? :-\

Yes we got a little off topic there. Lets try to keep it on track.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:05 AM »
The main question was two fold I think.

1. How many layers of backup plans do you have?
2. Is there or can we develop a network of prepper safe locations that can be integrated into your plans?

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 03:02:09 PM »
How many belong to a mutual assistance group.? A Mutual Assistance Group is a group of like-minded individuals who pledge to assist each other in times of crisis. The idea is that many hands make light work. There are models around which these groups can be formed. They vary in size and in intent. If anyone is a member of a group and would like to talk about its structure this would be a good place to carry on the conversation.

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:58:39 PM »
I am a member of the Freemasons.

They are a group in which brotherly love, relief and truth are its tenets.

We take obligations to assist each other as humanly possible in any instance.

It's not as Sexy or clandestine as a secret group, or anything like that, but all Freemasons, no matter what stripe have gone through the steps and know the sacrifice for others who are in need. It's a fraternal order, but has elections for certain administrative roles to satisfy the corporations act.

Because of the philosophy, the obligations and oaths Freemasons naturally offer charity to there fellow brother, but also offer help and assistance through the community. 

If my family was ever stranded or in need, no matter where in the world...I know I can count on a brother.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
How many belong to a mutual assistance group.? A Mutual Assistance Group is a group of like-minded individuals who pledge to assist each other in times of crisis. The idea is that many hands make light work. There are models around which these groups can be formed. They vary in size and in intent. If anyone is a member of a group and would like to talk about its structure this would be a good place to carry on the conversation.

A good read on this is The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 06:48:37 AM »
If there is a retreat that will take me in when TSHTF, then send me a line on the RV point. In the end you might see a mule headed ass leading two burdened mules at the RV. ;D
We learn, We practice, We teach.