Author Topic: Ferro rods  (Read 1680 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Ferro rods
« on: January 12, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
 Does any one know how to make them? If you do, type out the directions on this thread please.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Ferro rods
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 06:35:25 PM »
Ferro rods, ferrocerium, is an alloy of iron, cerium, magnesium and some rare earth elements. The largest ingredients are cerium and iron that make up about 60% of the alloy. I don't know where the rare elements could be sources and I don't know the melting temperatures all of the metals involved but cerium melts at 800C. When is was discovered at the turn of the 20th century I think the original flints were and alloy of just cerium and iron in a 70%, 30% ratio. I found a place where you can by cerium on line: http://www.newmetalsandchemicals.com/high_purity/cerium.htm

There was no price given though.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 06:59:52 PM »
NoBS,

No idea how to make them, but here is a link to Amazon.ca for the finished product.

http://www.amazon.ca/niceEshop-Magnesium-Starter-Survival-Camping-Black/dp/B00DQL6J6E/ref=pd_rhf_gw_s_cp_17_A3WZ?ie=UTF8&refRID=05HREW1VN5E5F1KR7DAY

When mine arrive I will let you know of the quality.

Cheers,

MM.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:34:08 PM »
 MM thx
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 10:10:36 PM »
NoBS,

No worries. I will keep you posted.

Last night, was fire making night and I decided to give a ferro rod and striker a go......it was a great learning experience. I made a large heap of wood shavings, piled the finest shavings on a split log....then went at it with the striker and ferro rod. Maybe it was my lack of experience or environmental conditions last night, but it did take more than a few minutes to achieve flame. But, to that end I am happy to announce, yes I did get my fire burning. And my fire burned very well, thank you very much. Haha. It was a good night.

So, if you have never tried a ferro rod and striker to get a fire going, I highly recommend you practice at least once. You will enjoy it...really. :-0

MM.

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:15:34 PM »
Looking at the mischmetal process... it's probably easier to just buy the bloody things in abundance now. They'll never go bad and they're reasonably cheap.

A few tips:
1) Ditch the striker, use a decent knife
2) Move the rod, not the knife
3) A cotton ball rubbed in Vaseline (or Vicks) will catch a ferro-spark even in moderate rain (personally proven)
4) A rod is better than a lighter in sub-zero temperatures (butane lighters will gel at -23°C)

With practice, you should be able to spark a fire with a single pull, most of the time (especially when there's nobody around to see you do it right).
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller