Author Topic: What gives?  (Read 3728 times)

Gravlore

What gives?
« on: August 19, 2013, 03:21:33 AM »
We are so dry here even the weeds are turning brown and that is rare around here. 5 miles in any direction and things are green. We are flat here in SK so why did mother nature decide to take a big detour when handing out the rain? I seriously have no clue. Storm and rain clouds come for us and then seem to take a sharp turn as if we are a pylon in its way. I am seriously pissed off as we have seen about 3mm of rain in the last 5 weeks. Our average is supposed to be around 40+mm and our june to july was about 15mm and average is about 60+. What a great year to have a garden. I guess I will save the seeds from the strongest plants (about 6 of them now that everything is f'n dead) since they seem to be more drought tolerant. I know this comes off as venting but I seriously have no idea why our little area gets no rain.

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: What gives?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 04:09:53 AM »
Where I am we have had to much rain...except for the last few days it has rained...

Every time it rained I had to go outside and dump water out of every container, I even brought in some of the herbs they were getting way to much water...had to keep putting off mowing the lawns or doing and type of outdoor yard work..I finally got part of the wood stacked..my carport still has a new load that needs to be stored for the winter, but every day more rain and thunderstorms

Last couple of days its been a race to get the outdoor stuff done, along with everything else before that four letter word gets here( snow)

http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline M590a1

• VIP
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »
In Central AB there has been rain and thundershowers at some point in every day for the last 30 (since I've been here).
If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm, but because of those who look on without doing anything.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »
We have had more rain than usual too. Not that I am complaining too as we have has no brush fires this summer unlike last year.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:53:46 PM »
Chem trails? Only half joking, huge amount of cloud seeding going on around here ( that's the PC way of saying toxic killer chem trails) Oh well, Guess I'm just waiting to die like the rest of humanity.(hopefully like my grandpa , quietly in his sleep, not like the 3 other screaming passengers in his car...LOL)
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Gravlore

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 01:04:23 AM »
Still haven't had rain since last post. Plenty of crops LOOK good here but what's inside the pods is another story. We had early rains in the year so the crops shot up and since then there wasn't much to support the food portion. Moisture is about 2-3 feet below surface right now.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 01:07:11 AM by Gravlore »

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 09:56:55 AM »
We have had a very wet summer. last week we had a deluge of biblical proportions. Still as long as it is not snow I am happy.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 10:39:11 AM »
OOPs hit enter before I could finish. what I meant to say was that almost sounds normal in south sask( not joking)
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Gravlore

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »
South has been normal I think. Life on the prairies is unpredictable for precipitation. Being the glass half empty person I am, my prediction is 30' of snow to make up for it.

Gravlore

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 09:29:14 PM »
Now into mid October and have seen 2mm of precipitation since the beginning of September. What should have given us about 8000 gallons of water has yielded less than 1200 all summer. What BS. The pond out back is now 2 ponds. About a 4' drop easy in its depth. Luckily I can fill tanks this fall at a relatives home. Talk about a dust bowl even though the temps are below 0.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 11:36:44 AM »
It is raining way too much here and the fields are so saturated that unless farmers have the tread type tractors they can not go onto the fields as the wheel type tractors sink or just get stuck to their axles.

What does the Farmers Almanac for your area say?

Gravlore

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
Normal to just below from what I heard from people who own the book. Last summer and winter had higher amounts of precipitation. Just a crap year to move out here I guess. Still worth it though. A dry dusty acreage beats the pants off the city life I lived since birth.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »
Maybe you need to make a solar still or a dew collector to help out this year?

Gravlore

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 07:13:56 PM »
Using dehumidifier water for the first cycle of clothes. Saves about 8 gallons per load. Was thinking about burying a pipe and using the dew that collects on the pipe cap and run it into a pot. Simply a condenser. Would not come close to our needs though. Great doomsday thing though.