Author Topic: Numbers?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Numbers?
« on: November 04, 2014, 03:37:09 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the current numbers of infected/dead? Over a week ago they were reporting a sharp increase then by the end of the week the numbers were "adjusted" downwards with a new reporting method then nothing. Ever since the US put a PR guy in charge of the outbreak  the news has gone almost black. Hmm, I wonder why?

This is a good read about the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK22148/ It is both long and in depth. What might be particularly poignant  is the description of how the authorities reacted. Under the heading Social Disruption and Public Health Lessons which is in about the first 20% the article there is the following statements:

"Routinely, as influenza approached a city or town—one could watch it march from place to place—local officials initially told the public not to worry, that public health officials would prevent the disease from striking them. When influenza first appeared, officials routinely insisted at first it was only ordinary influenza, not the Spanish flu. As the epidemic exploded, officials almost daily assured the public that the worst was over.

This pattern repeated itself again and again. Chicago offers one example: Its public health commissioner said he'd do "nothing to interfere with the morale of the community…. It is our duty to keep the people from fear. Worry kills more people than the epidemic"

In Philadelphia, when the public health commissioner closed all schools, houses of worship, theaters, and other public gathering places, one newspaper went so far as to say that this order was "not a public health measure" and reiterated that "there is no cause for panic or alarm."

The US even went as far as making it a crime to publish anything that was against the State or Federal Governments.   Let's hope that history does not repeat itself in this case.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:39:56 PM by icrcc »
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Re: Numbers?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 05:09:03 PM »
There was a write up , that the news people were no longer going to report on Ebola unless there were positive cases...

another news release today stated that Sierra Leone could have 9 times more then what is being reported..

and yes the news has died down...I have a few spots I hit that are stilling pulling out a few stories here and there

If I can find the story about them not reporting anymore I will post it
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 03:34:49 PM »
According to the IHR/WHO report, as of October 22, 2014 there were 9936 confirmed cases with 4877 dead.
By way of comparison, 122,000 died from measles last year and 480,000 contracted a drug resistant strain of TB.
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 05:47:54 PM »
Sometimes I wonder, just how real are the numbers we're given concerning how many die from the flu or measles or chicken pox.  I've had a flu a number of times and it has never left me so debilitated that I had to stay in bed, let alone hovering near deaths door.  As a child, I had the measles, chicken pox and even the mumps.  It never once stopped me from going outside to play.  Though I've had friends who've been bedridden with the flu, none of them ever had any more difficulties with measles or chicken pox than I did.  I certainly don't know anyone or have ever heard of anyone who has even come close to dying from those diseases.  So where is it that all these bodies are dropping?  Or is it just that TPTB pump up the numbers for the fear factor to help justify big pharma.  Maybe it's so they can say "See, SARS, Ebola and MERS aren't so bad as all that."
Maybe it's just that I've become so paranoid about what the government and the multi-letter agencies tell us these days.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 05:49:09 PM by tazweiss »
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 06:11:36 PM »
I would hazard to guess that these numbers are from very poor countries with no antibiotics, poor nutrition and sanitation?

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:16 AM »
I suspect they are. California had 220 cases last year and only 22 of those were hospitalized. None died.
In the 2011 Europe outbreak, 30, 000 were infected with only 8 deaths. Who knows what age or health condition those 8 started at. The danger is when it becomes encephalitis. Out of those 30k, only 27 developed into that. 95% of these people were either not properly vaccinated or (82%) not vaccinated at all. This at least, is one of the proven vaccines (lets  not talk about "the flu" shot numbers).

If you're a history buff, you can go into the details of the 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic to see how an innocuous disease can decimate (lit.) a population. It was a particularly virulent strain that actually attacked and killed young, healthy adults. The death toll was higher then the black plague (estimates go from 40-100 mil dead). Canada and her climate is no stranger to flu and usually has very few fatalities each year, but for this event we had 50,000 deaths. Toronto was hit especially hard and had over half the population infected at it's height. Hardly the first, but hopefully the last time one of our cemeteries has to commission mass graves.
Incredible they don't teach our history in schools, especially events like this that wiped out whole lineages in Canada, but that's a different rant...
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
Many of the viral strains of illness that target the healthy and young actually induce the body to kill itself. Not literally of course but it is the body's reaction to the infection that results in death. Sometimes the immune system overreacts, causing an overwhelming production of fluid which drowns the persons lungs and also can result in highly increased permeability of capillary walls. Because it is a virus antibiotics have no effect and only supportive measures can be applied. It is up to the immune system and the strength of the person to determine the outcome.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 10:45:23 PM »
The number of people under "active monitoring" for Ebola symptoms has increased from 117 on Monday to 357 people Wednesday, health officials said.

:http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/active-monitoring-ebola-doctor-Craig-Spencer-bellevue-hospital-281671121.html

I know that they don't want people to panic but there is a dollar cost to all this and this is only one city.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:36 AM »
"Active Monitoring" for those who are asymptomatic is usually no more that a temp check twice a day and contact with the hospital or monitoring facility. This is what would be in place for health care workers. Those coming from affected areas would most likely be the same. No imposed isolation unless symptoms appear. The most risk is for those doing actual care. Anyone handling lab specimens have no actual contact with samples. An abundance of caution clearly.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB