Author Topic: no reason to fear ebola.. its not 'here"  (Read 1132 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
letter to editor
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 06:40:44 AM »
Lewiston Idaho Veternarian's Letter to the Editor re: Ebola, Nails it!      <blockquote>               The present Ebola crisis in the world is frightening. I have submitted the following letter to the editor of the Lewiston Morning Tribune:

Editor, Lewiston Morning Tribune:

If I wish to import a horse into the United States from Liberia or any African country other than Morocco, the horse needs to undergo a 60 day quarantine period at a USDA approved quarantine facility prior to mingling with the general population of horses in this country. Africa has a disease called African Horse Sickness that does not exist in the US; this is the way we have kept it out of this country. African Horse Sickness does not cause disease in people, only horses; our government has determined that it would be devastating to the US horse industry if it were to come here.

The United States (and virtually all other countries) require a myriad of tests and often quarantine prior to bringing in a foreign animal.

I canít legally cross state lines in the United States with a horse or cow without a health certificate signed by a USDA accredited veterinarian stating that the animal has been inspected and found free of infectious disease. In most cases blood tests are also required. In fact I canít legally cross the Snake River and ride my horse in Idaho without a health certificate and a negative blood test for Equine Infectious Anemia.

Iím not complaining; the United States of America, the States of Idaho and Washington as well as the other 48 states take the health of our livestock very seriously, and we have a very good record at keeping foreign animal diseases out of our country. I am happy to do my part to maintain biosecurity in our animal population.

If I am a resident of Liberia incubating Ebola, to enter the United States all I need to do is present a valid visa, and lie when asked if I have been exposed to Ebola. Within hours (no quarantine required) I can be walking the streets of any city in the United States.

I feel very fortunate to live in a country that values our animals so highly.

David A. Rustebakke, DVM</blockquote>
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
Re: no reason to fear ebola.. its not 'here"
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:33:20 AM »
Toronto has finally stepped up and started to put in place training, procedure and equipment (and money! Don't forget that, that's key), in the event it finds it's way here. You know, the G.T.A, where 1 in 10 Canadians live...
Only what? A year into this now, but better late than never, I suppose.

http://www.uhn.ca/corporate/AboutUHN/CEO_Straight_Talks/Pages/key_to_treating_ebola_patient.aspx

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ebola-virus-aid-adds-30m-from-canada-1.2802614

It was very disheartening to hear that Air Canada had delayed a blood sample for testing, because of an ignorant pilot that doesn't understand safe biohazard transportation policies:
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ebola-outbreak-diagnosis-delayed-air-195342567.html

ďThe enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.Ē
― Joseph Heller

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: no reason to fear ebola.. its not 'here"
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 10:03:49 AM »
The guy in the video is a real chump. He uses statements like Duncan should not have come here, the infected nurse should not have travelled by air. He is right but they DID! Obama was on the TV today saying a travel ban could make the Ebola crisis worse. Really? Worse for whom?

There is necessary travel to those regions for supplies, trained personnel and increasingly humanitarian aid.  Every country in the world has its armed forces that are more than capable of supplying the transport for goods and those personnel who really need it. There is ABSOLUTULY NO NEED for civilian. Optional screening at some airports is little more than a joke. Stop issuing visas to countries affected until the outbreak has been brought under control.

Senegal has now been declared virus free. However they used  the 21 day rule not the more realistic 42 day rule. How did they do this? Their borders are closed to the badly affected countries. Nigeria appears at this point to have it under control. How did they do this? Their borders are also similarly closed. True these are large countries with porous borders but never the less their efforts have worked so fat. Belize and Mexico closed their borders to a cruise ship who had a possible Ebola candidate on board. Was this the right thing to do? Well one thing is for sure they absolutely protected their citizens in this one instance. Thais is all any government can do, deal with one 1nstance at a time.

With these proven methods in place for some countries it should be a case of what is good for the goose is good for the gander. Obamas complete lack of leadership in this issue has resulted in the severe, life threatening illnesses in at least two of its citizens and will likely lead to much worse scenarios.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/