Author Topic: A Book List - Top 25  (Read 2801 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
A Book List - Top 25
« on: March 10, 2013, 10:15:47 PM »
Here is a repost that I put up on The American Prepper's Network. Hope it helps.

Re: Book's?
by gc_mountainman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Evenin' All,

I have worked on a book list on the Alberta Prepper's Network. I have copied and paste it here. It was originally done in two parts but I have included both parts.

I hope this helps some. Building a library - digital or hard copy is a worthy investment.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Here are my Top 10 for general prepping for a non-descript disaster or other emergency - a.k.a. baseline knowledge that will help in any situation but not specialized towards a specific threat.

#1 It's A Disaster! .....And What Are You Gonna Do About It?

#2 Back to Basics - A Complete Guide to Traditional Skills 3rd Edition

#3 Camping & Wilderness Survival - The Ultimate Outdoors Book - After a review, no comparison. This book belongs here.

#4 Medicine for Mountaineering & Other Wilderness Activities OR Where There's No Doctor

#5 The SAS Survival Handbook

#6 The Last Canadian OR One Second After

#7 The SAS Urban Survival Handbook

#8 Edible & Medicinal Plants of the Rocky Mountains & Neibouring Territories

#9 The Three Meter Zone

#10 Be Expert With Map & Compass - The Complete Orienteering Handbook by Bjorn Kjellstrom
I have mentioned every one of these books in earlier posts except #10, thus the inclusion of author.

For a person to start with zero books and then bought and read and practiced what is included in these ten books you would have an above average chance at surviving any situation, in any climate, in any terrain, in any season in any part of the world. Is your survival guaranteed? No, but if you did not panic and kept your wits about you and improvised what you had with you; you would have the very best chance of surviving.

I will add 11 through 25 by the end of the weekend.

Good reading and good hunting,

Mountainman.
Last edited by gc_mountainman on 17 Jan 2013 11:48, edited 2 times in total.
http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/

It has been more than a weekend, but here we go with must have books 11 to 25.

11. DARE to Prepare by Holly Drennon DEYO. 4th Edition.

12. Where There's No Dentist

13. Where There's No Doctor

14. One Second After

15. Fieldbook for Canadian Scouting

16. Long Term Survival in the Coming Dark Age - Preparing to Live After Society Crumbles by James BALLOU

17. The Ultimate Guide to Homesteading - An Encyclopedia of Independent Living by Nicole FAIRES

18. Complete Survival Manual National Geographic Society - This book belongs at this level. It is not quite comparable to #3.

19. Crisis Preparedness Handbook by Jack A. SPIGARELLI

20. EMERGENCY - This Book Will Save Your Life by Neil STRAUSS

21. How to Survive the end of the World as we Know it by James Wesley Rawles

22. Building with Logs & Log Cabin Construction Classic Reprint Series

23. Tappan on Survival by Mel TAPPAN

24. Patriots by James Wesley Rawles (Add Survivors and Founders to get the whole story.)

25. Robinson Crusoe by Daniel DeFoe

To JFamily, I take your advice on DARE to Prepare. One day that book will adorn my survival bookshelf, too. Thanks in advance for the suggestion.

So, what is in your library??

Mountainman.
Last edited by gc_mountainman on 17 Jan 2013 11:52, edited 2 times in total.
http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/gc_mountainman

Offline ladyboomer

• Contributer
Re: A Book List - Top 25
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 01:25:32 PM »
 Excellent list.  Have most of those in hard copy, and few more. This week I read "The Five Stages of Collapse” by Dmitry Orlov.   I really enjoyed it... he assumes the collapse of all societies is inevitable, so talks about the different historic stages. It has started me thinking... (Usually that leads me into something interesting, sometimes trouble, and always fun LOL!) Thinking about how I could live without so much of THIS. The more complex and complicated something is the greater the damage is when there is a wreck. So I have been trying to slow down and think about a simpler life style. (Much simpler). How does a person peel off all of the extra layers of stuff, almost all of it is unnecessary for a happy, healthy life? Anyway...” The Five Stages of Collapse” is a good read, got a little slow the last 2 chapters...(But I have a pretty short attention span, SO I was already thinking about so many other things) Love books that make me think and question ... books, ideas or conversations that help me re-examine all of the stuff... some no longer useful that I have in my head.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2013, 02:14:49 PM »
Sounds like a good book Ladyboomer  and one that I would find interesting. I will definitely pick that one up.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 04:13:49 PM »
A few additions to the list would be "Ditch Medicine", "Holding Your Ground", US Army Special Forces Handbook. An author by the name of Mors Kochanski has a number of very good pamphlets; "the 2 kg survival kit field manual", "Basic Wilderness Survival in Cold... both with and without snow".

Just a few thoughts

JAB
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 06:21:53 PM »
Good suggestions all.

JAB, Mors is an Alberta based author and wilderness survival instructor, if I recall correctly he is based somewhere West of Edmonton. He also has a full survival manual:

http://www.amazon.com/Bushcraft-Outdoor-Skills-Wilderness-Survival/dp/1551051222

I do like his mini-manuals. Has anyone tried to make his super shelter?? The theory is sound, but I have not had the time to go test the technique in the bush.

Mountainman.

Offline WildernessReturn

• Campfire Member
  • Asset
    • My Wilderness Return Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:03:52 PM »
I have done the super shelter, although it varies a bit from time to time due to the ground and materials. IT WORKS

everything Mors K does works!
look up his name in the BBC and CBC film networks online. They did a lot of filming of him in the 70s & 80s
Now is the Hour of our Discontent !
no big swirly siggys' here! !!
http://wildernessreturn.wordpress.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 04:48:08 PM »
used to be able to get a small pocket sized book called OUTDOOR SURVIVAL from the dept of highways in BC good little reference book. I do have most of the selected books already will look into the others.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 08:02:42 PM »
Another really handy little book is "POCKET REF" by Thomas J Glover this book has info on just about everything.And it does fit in your back pocket. Canadian Tire, Princess Auto are the only two places I of that carry it. Cheers and read on
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:51:43 PM »
Another book that is exceptionally good fiction is A Distant Eden by Lloyd Tackitt.  This is not only a work a fiction it is a pretty good field guide to survival.

I also highly recommend is his follow up Adrian’s War (A Distant Eden). I still have two more in this series to read. All of his books are under $4 in kindle format, a real bargain!
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
A definate must have book , at least for myself, the King James bible, there is hope.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »
Recommended read is the GOOD plan from Mountain man. Just bought 5 copies
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 09:40:44 PM »
Evenin' All,

Thought I should update this topic a little. Although, I will not change my list of 25 books, I would like to add a few titles of books I have read recently that are also good to read.

1) The Knowledge - How To Rebuild Our World From Scratch by Lewis DARTNELL
2) Scatter, Adapt, and Remember - How Humans Will Survive a Mass Extinction  by Annalee NEWITZ

Best read in the order listed. DARTNELL is a very smart fellow and knows his science. If you want to start thinking about what type of things need to be saved - knowledge-wise, take the time to read his book. NEWITZ is also a very smart lady and knows her stuff, too. In 60 pages she reviews Earth history and the resulting extinctions in enough detail to bring you up-to-speed. It is very enjoyable reading.

Together, DARTNELL & NEWITZ lay the foundation for a survival plan that takes into account "the big picture", survival of the human race. These books look at this subject from slightly different points-of-view, but by reading them both you will benefit the most.

So, what's in your library???

Mountainman.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 09:54:31 PM by Mountainman »