Author Topic: some computer questions  (Read 2214 times)

Offline Lochlin

• Contributer
some computer questions
« on: August 12, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
1. I hope this goes here 2. Hope it's ok to ask these questions here. As you know I am the ultimate computer techno peasant.
What is the difference between a blog and a website. and can anyone just make comments after reading a post in one? Sorry folks just trying to get a handle on this stuff

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: some computer questions
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 08:27:58 PM »
Now worries at all..

Now this is called a Forum.

My blog you have seen, it is a Hybrid blog / website. (for future biz reasons I did that, or for prepper/writer reasons)

Website, say like Presidents Choice in Canada. Is a site for businesses and they post info on their company and products.

Some websites, allow you to post questions to them or make comments on the products.

Blogger / Wordpress and a few other platforms like that are used by individual people or companies.
Wordpress has the ability to make static web pages
or
you can create posts and then people can comment on them.

In order to use them easily they kinda force you to create your own account with them, thus driving up their stats for advertisers and shareholders.

The line between website and blog has diminished in the past few years with the advent of programs that can easily modify itself and all you do is type in the words you want to see and the pics you want.  In the past it took a person with web coder skills to do it, but was expensive so they came up with other ways of doing it.

Hope that helped you with your question on websites vs blogs, post other questions if you want, now worries at all. There are a lot of people who do not have any computer skills or some that have on a few, so any questions asked will help everyone out!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 09:59:19 AM by Wild_E »

Offline rmactsc

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Author
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:55:36 AM »
I was going to reply to your question but Wild_E provided such an excellent explanation; that there was nothing more for me to add :)

Offline Lochlin

• Contributer
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:58:42 AM »
Thank you for taking the time for my questions. I really appreciate it. Just a thought, could some one post instructions on putting pictures on a forum.  People here do a lot of really cool stuff and perhaps they could put up pictures of there stuff. ie hunting camp/success, gardens, crafts etc

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:39:31 AM »
I use photo bucket to post my pictures...just google photobucket make an account and you have to hit the upload button on photobucket it will bring you to your pc files..just clcik on the one you want to load and it will go into your library..

photobucket server another great purpose if your pc ever crashes you will still have all your photos in there

When you posta picture to the forum you start your thread in one window and have photo bucket opened in another...click on the picture you want to put in here at the side bar on your right there are 4 options click on direct link it will go yellow and say copied..come back to your thread where you want the link to go and right click and paste...it should leave a link to your picture

I usually like to put the image url but lately it has gone back to my whole library...if you have any problems feel free to pm me and we can go through it step by step
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:41:31 AM »
I to use Photobucket, it is easy to set up an account and easy to upload your pictures. You can organise your photos by album. This is especially useful if you want to display a large number of photographs on a particular topic on this forum. Rather than uploading each picture separately you just post a link to the relevant album in Photobucket.  An example of this is are the photos of the July Provincial Meet posted by Pargamatist : http://canampreppers.net/forum/index.php?topic=204.0

If you just want to upload one or two pictures to the forum just follow these simple instructions:

1. Once you have written to your reply to a post click on Attachments and other options at the bottom left of   the screen.

2. Using the Attach box use Browse to locate the file on your computer.

3. Once you have the name and location of the file in the Attach box you can either add more attachments or simply select Post

Be aware of the size of the file or files you are attaching to your post as you cannot make more than 4 per post and the TOTAL size of the attachment(s) cannot be more than 192KB.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Lochlin

• Contributer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »
Thank you for your time and consideration. Don't know how involved I want to get with computers but I always want to learn new things. I'm a far better reader then typer. Again thank you

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:51:54 PM »
I normally put them in my blog and then link to them from here it is easy and quick to do so.