Author Topic: Ebola, Collapse & SARS  (Read 1426 times)

Offline Prepper Nurse

• Contributer
  • Author Videographer
Ebola, Collapse & SARS
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:56:40 PM »
Hi folks. Thank you very much for the invitation to join you on your forum. I'm delighted to be here! As a Canadian who is thoroughly fond of our American neighbours, this forum fits very well with my mission, which is to share health information at no cost, and without asking people to travel miles or spend hours away from their family.
The latest developments in Africa have me very concerned, as I'm sure many of you are as well. 40% of the cases of Ebola have occurred in the last 3 weeks. That means it's exploding. WHO has budgeted 1/2 BILLION dollars to contain it over they estimate 6-9 months, and at the end they are estimating 20,000 will have been infected with Ebola.
Today the President of Doctors Without Borders in France stated "The World Health Organization can't handle the outbreak...I don't see how with the current measures how we're going to control the outbreak and stop the outbreak." Those are very disturbing words. Today WHO also released the number of new cases this past week - 500 - by far the worst toll of any week so far. The week before, around 400 new cases were reported. It could cost much more, and infect many more.
I feel optimistic that if a case does arrive on the shores of North America, the rate of transmission would be very small, and very few would be infected - I say this based on my knowledge of SARS in 2003 in Toronto. I know there may be some of you with even closer experience with SARS. 
However, and this is a big however, it would cost a king's ransom to manage, contain, quarantine ie do the contact tracing, staff time, supply costs, hospital operating costs). My big concern is that it could push us closer to economic collapse, or tip us right over globally if the outbreak was expensive enough. However, I think we can learn a lot from the African experience about how to prepare for a pandemic. Here's a link to my video if you'd like to hear more about my thoughts on Ebola and SARS and why I feel the way I do I'd like to know if others share the same concerns!! And I'd love to hear your SARS experiences :) Prepper Nurse
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJkFOq9QVQ&list=UUcXgySSIBw4CBdJfT8PAbMQ
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:02:25 PM by Prepper Nurse »

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Ebola, Collapse & SARS
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 06:58:37 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to your video on Ebola. It was a calm, common sense approach to a difficult subject. I am sure that it will help many to get over the initial fear that virus instills and focus on prevention procedures.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 08:42:48 PM »
I have been watching your shows, nice rat you got there!
just a note on the glasses, bifocal glasses at Princess Auto, just like those ones for those with the need to see up close.

Offline Prepper Nurse

• Contributer
  • Author Videographer
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 01:26:28 PM »
Thanks for posting the link to your video on Ebola. It was a calm, common sense approach to a difficult subject. I am sure that it will help many to get over the initial fear that virus instills and focus on prevention procedures.
You're so welcome! Thank you for taking the time to watch it & for your encouraging words :)  I am very glad that it came across as calm. I think scaring people is not only unnecessary, it's harmful. It just activates the stress response, and makes it harder to think.

Offline Prepper Nurse

• Contributer
  • Author Videographer
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »
I have been watching your shows, nice rat you got there!
just a note on the glasses, bifocal glasses at Princess Auto, just like those ones for those with the need to see up close.

Why thank you! He was very popular at the rat flinging station, and a particular favourite of the teenage boys. Great tip about he glasses!!