Author Topic: Changes In Canning Lid Procedures-MUST READ IF YOU CAN FOOD  (Read 1341 times)

Offline iamusul

• VIP
Changes In Canning Lid Procedures-MUST READ IF YOU CAN FOOD
« on: August 26, 2014, 07:26:38 PM »
http://livinghomegrown.com/2014/08/changes-in-canning-lid-procedures.html

Changes In Canning Lid Procedures

http://livinghomegrown.com/2014/08/c...rocedures.html

Living Homegrown
by THERESA on AUGUST 22, 2014

The Old Recommendation:

Now, as canners we know that the recommendation has always been (since like…forever) to drop the canning lids into a pan of hot, simmering water while you prepare your recipe. Then as you fill your jars, you pull the lids out of the hot water and use them.

The purpose of the hot water was to soften the rubber gasket and make for a good seal.

The New Recommendation:

Jarden no longer recommends that we heat the canning lids in hot water before canning.

NOT AT ALL.

Instead, we just wash the lids and use them at room temperature.

Now, just to be clear the Jarden Company changed THEIR recommendations. There have been no changes to the USDA recommendations of 2009. All is the same there and they teach Master Food Preservers to “follow the manufacturer’s instructions” for preparing the jar lids.

Why The Change?

Last year, I mentioned over on my other canning blog for our PBS garden TV show, Growing A Greener World, that the Ball Canning lids are now being made BPA free.

So that is not new news. But what is new is the way we use them.

According to the Jarden company, those new BPA free lids also have a new gasket material. They made the change in the recommended procedure because the new gasket on those new lids is plastisol.

If the new lid is heated in simmering water, it can easily be heated too much or for too long causing the plastisol to thin out. If that happens, you either get a poor seal (that fails later on the pantry shelf) or no seal at all.

So, they now recommend that we only wash the lids and don’t simmer them.

Some of you have already written to me pointing out that you have boxes that say, “BPA free” and the instructions say to simmer the lids.

EXACTLY! That is my point. They just made the change in the recommendation and the change was not reflected on the instructions this year.

Now, before I go any further…

Yes, that brings up the whole discussion on what plastic formula is used as the coating replacement for BPA (Jarden won’t say exactly as it is proprietary).

Is it worse than BPA or does it matter? (The food should not be in contact with the lid).

I wrote about that over here a few years ago. There is a lot of discussion in the comments.

What About Sterilizing the Lid?

We can’t boil the lids to sterilize them. All we can do is wash them in soapy water and rinse, which should take care of any dirt or bacteria that may be on the lid. The purpose of heating the lids has always been to soften the rubber ring on the lid.

What About OLD Lids?

The BPA free change happened in 2013. All the lids manufactured last year were BPA free, but there were many stores still selling out the old stock. Last year’s box only said “Made in USA” and did not make any BPA Free distinction.

2014 boxes now also say “BPA Free”

So if your box says either “Made in USA” or “BPA Free”, then it does NOT need to be simmered and you use this new method.

If you don’t have the box and are unsure what you have, then I would heat the lids (but not simmer). A gentle heat should not ruin the plastisol. But the company said that people were boiling the heck out of the lids and getting failures. So, they changed their recommendations.

Also note that if they are really old lids, (5 years or more), the rubber seal loses elasticity with time and may not seal as well. I use old lids for when I freeze things like soup.

What About Other Brands?

It is important to note that there have been no changes in other canning lid brands. Each manufacturer of jar lids has their own recommendation and procedures for using the lids. Always read the box and follow their instructions for best results.

But Ball Canning (Jarden) is the largest maker of jars and lids in America. So most of the lids you buy would follow this new procedure.

What If I Forget & I Simmer the Lids?

No worries. The canning police will not come write you up. The worst that can happen is that you get some seal failures.

I had not noticed the new recommendation and I have been doing it the old way for some time. I did not have any failures.

But I wanted to give you all the heads up.</blockquote>

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: Changes In Canning Lid Procedures-MUST READ IF YOU CAN FOOD
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 08:17:01 PM »
  Thanks for sharing this
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer