Author Topic: canning hopi pale grey squash  (Read 2711 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
canning hopi pale grey squash
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:38:52 PM »

these seeds have been a challenge to get. NOBODY has them. at least, not for long. cant find the article but I read that they can be stored for 18 months.  :o . most winter squash store well for 5-6 months, some a bit longer.

I HAD to have these. wasnt sure how they would do since they are from southern USA. I am not dissappointed. the vines are massive and the squash weigh about 12-15 lbs ea.

I purposely did not plant any other cucurbits so as to have non cross pollinated seeds.

My lack of bees did not do justice to the proliferation but i am satisfied, and will pollinate by hand next yr.

because of the avialblity of the seeds.. or lack thereof.. I will be selling some seeds on ebay.

I will let these ripen and then I will can them as I have no cool room.

....... ..........   ..................... .......................    ......................    ...............................
Cucurbita maxima
( Hopi Pale Grey Winter Squash )
Skin is grey, with ridges, flesh is orange. Up to 10 lbs each, round, good keepers. There is a great variety in shapes, colors and types of squash, making them fun to grow. Growing pumpkins can be a great project for kids. The vines need plenty of room to sprawl, although some can be supported on a trellis. Summer or winter squash or pumpkins should be sown indoors in flats in short season areas, 3-4 weeks before the night soil temperatures have warmed up. Seedlings should be gradually hardened off. Plants prefer rich, compost enriched soil. They will cross pollinate within their species. After harvest they should be ripened for 30 days in a cool location.
eta.. these are not pumpkins. just the same family

from article
Canning Hopi Pale Grey Squash
Five Pints Of Hopi Pale Grey Squash
]
Two of three Hopi Pale Grey Squash I grew this year.
]
Cleaning out the seeds
]
Cut in 1" chunks, cover with water, boil two minutes
]
Put into hot sterilized canning jars, cap, 55 minutes in Pressure Canner
The finished product
[
]
Seeds for growing more Pale Grey Hopi Squash in the future!
]
In the garden

These must be cut into chunks and are not safe to puree or mash to can! Must be pressure canned!

Consult a canning book. I used Carla Emery's The Encyclopedia Of Country Living to can mine.

It may look like a lot of work for only five pints. I have many more butternut squash to can because they produced more. To me though, the Hopi Pale Grey squash will be special. For one thing, a member of Homesteading Today sent me the seeds free. Last year mine did not come up. This year they did, and I started them in the house, so I had special feelings for these particular plants. I have two pans of the seeds and look forward to many more Hopi Pale Grey Harvests in the future. These are very hard to come by and everyone that grows them loves them!

One more thing, you may add salt for flavor, I do not.

]
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 01:47:00 PM by zeker »
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: canning hopi pale grey squash
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
found this description
 Hopi Pale Grey

Hopi Pale Grey is our very favorite winter squash. At normal room temperature, we’ve had them store more than two years! Yep, two years! Now that’s a storage squash. It is
very rare with only (perhaps!) two other sources available. A very tasty, sweet squash, it grows on rampant vines and is very productive. The squash are bluish gray and usually roundish oblong with a "belly button" on the blossom end. I use this squash exclusively for pumpkin pies and even grated in salads as it’s so tasty! It’s a 90-100 day squash, but I direct seed it in our northern Minnesota garden and always harvest squash. This year we got more than 90! If you only plant this C. maxima in your garden, you can save pure seed. (If not, it will cross with other squash and C. maxima pumpkins such as Atlantic Giant.) We have a good supply of seed this year, so we’ll send about 25 seeds per pack

wow.. thats alotta seeds. I found poor germination (no bees) so i will do the qtip germination next yr and see what the results are
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most