Author Topic: Tire Signal Fire  (Read 2492 times)

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Tire Signal Fire
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
You may, one day, find yourself in a situation where you need to build a signal fire. Burning a tire can make one of the best signal fires around. They burn forever, and give off thick black smoke that can be seen for miles.

But how do you get one to burn? First remove the tire from the vehicle and lay it flat on the ground. You do not have to take off a wheel you could use the spare.
Using magnesium fire starter, take a knife and scrape some magnesium shavings from the fire starter on to the sidewall of the tire.
Light the magnesium savings by igniting them with the metal striker attached to  the fire lighter or a knife.

The tire will burn, even better this will work even in the rain and if the tire is wet. Remember if you are lost and stranded in the bush make sure that your signal fire is well away for other ignition sources, you do not want to start a wildfire.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: Tire Signal Fire
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 11:51:04 AM »
NOT so easy.
I just tried this with a piece of sidewall from a highway trailer tire. After using lots of magnesium, then lots of flint to get it to light, I went for my little jet lighter, still not light up.

I now carry inner tubes from bikes, they light easier, maybe a piece embedded in the bigger tougher tire will work.

Not to poo poo the idea, just that it needs a whole lot more magnesium and work than I first thought it might. Perhaps a Northern Match, otherwise known as a Propane Torch, would help out? Or maybe light a wood fire on top, then let the tire catch fire?

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 12:05:21 PM »
A 'Northern Match", my favourite kind of fire starter, is a propylene torch.  They burn much hotter than a propane torch. :)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Sounds like you two are trying too hard. If you have a spare tire, maybe you have a 15 minute highway flare. Those flares will have a fire going no matter the fuel source.

NB - I have never tried to get a tire burning for a signal fire or any other reason.

NB2 - Maybe ask for some pointers from someone has been to Mogadishu. They were frequently used there in the '90's.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
MntMan,,
what a great Idea ! a Road flare, I had forgotten about them and we should all have some in our vehicles anyways.
If we are trying to do this, chances are that there might be a flare in the vehicle and we are near the vehicle anyways.

Unless we are trying to roll the flaming tire downhill or across the street like they did in Other parts of the world.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
If you apply continuous external heat to the tire over the 300C range the tire should catch on fire. Once a tire begins to burn, it will generate enough heat to continue the burning process.  Time, temperature and rate of heat application are all factors that help determine if a tire destructs or combusts. Your butane torch should be hot enough to ignite the tire but the area of application for the fame is very small so you would need to apply the heat for some considerable time. A road flare ignites around 191C, can burn as hot as 1,600C and will burn for between 10 an d60 minutes so these should work well but I have never tried this method.

Magnesium ignites at about 300C and burns at 3100C which is more than adequate to ignite a tire.  However once started magnesium burns quickly you need a LOT of magnesium shavings to get a tire going.  It works well on ATV tires which is just as well because If I get stranded it will likely be on my ATV. :)

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 06:33:45 AM »
I prefer the old fashion method, dose in combustible, light and roll. Down a steep grade at night...priceless.
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 08:08:08 AM »
For me it is more important to have smokeless fire so I can cook without being spotted. Put anything green on fire and you get smoke .
just  thinking of safety.
Henry

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 06:48:08 AM »
Yes Henry, but the subject was signal fires, no concealment. :-X
We learn, We practice, We teach.