Author Topic: monsanto loses  (Read 1405 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
monsanto loses
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:40:41 PM »
Sweet victory for Mexico beekeepers as Monsanto loses GM permit

August 9, 2014
Source: The Guardian

A small group of beekeepers in Mexico has inflicted a  blow on biotech giant Monsanto, which has halted the company’s ambitions  to plant thousands of hectares of soybeans genetically modified to  resist the company’s pesticide Roundup.
 A district judge in the state of Yucatán last month overturned a  permit issued to Monsanto by Mexico’s agriculture ministry, Sagarpa, and  environmental protection agency, Semarnat, in June 2012 that allowed  commercial planting of Roundup-ready soybeans.

The permit authorised Monsanto to plant its seeds in seven states,  over more than 253,000 hectares (625,000 acres), despite protests from  thousands of Mayan farmers and beekeepers, Greenpeace,  the Mexican National Commission for the Knowledge and Use of  Biodiversity, the National Commission of Natural Protected Areas and the  National Institute of Ecology.

In withdrawing the permit, the judge was convinced by the scientific  evidence presented about the threats posed by GM soy crops  to honey production in the Yucatán peninsula, which includes Campeche,  Quintana Roo and Yucatán states. Co-existence between honey production  and GM soybeans is not possible, the judge ruled.

Mexico is the world’s six biggest producer and third largest exporter  of honey. About 25,000 families on the Yucatán peninsula depend on  honey production. This tropical region produces about 40% of the  country’s honey, almost all of which is exported to the EU. This is not  small change: in 2011, the EU imported $54m (£32m) worth of Mexican honey.

Read More...
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
Re: monsanto loses
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:44:00 PM »
FN'A

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:59:25 PM »
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:35:06 PM »
Yes.. Agreed..

Two years ago they also lost the right to plant GMO corn..
They are still fighting it though.

Awesome Mexico congrats...