Author Topic: Prepper Signs  (Read 20010 times)

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
Prepper Signs
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:37:38 PM »
Let me preface this topic with some background.  The other day I was driving around in the country.  While driving, I noticed that almost all of the properties had a big mural on the barn.  The murals on the various barns were similar, but not exactly the same.  They were geometric, quilt-like patterns.  I have no idea what they mean.  Maybe they're just like a coat of arms for the family names.  Maybe they don't mean anything.   
So, as my brain likes to wander, I thought about what it would be like to have signs like these that would be identifiable to other preppers.  Sometimes you wouldn't want to advertise, but sometimes you would.  Like, what if you needed something?  The sign would be able to non-verbally indicate to other preppers what you need, and what you would trade.
Nothing specific, just in general. 
What if the main areas of prepping were assigned universal colors like green for food, or blue for water.
What if these symbols were mixed into one of the barn murals I saw?
What if these symbols were used in a SHTF situation in public to identify someone able to barter with you?  If you have the color needed to fill the pie shaped symbol of someone else, and you see they have something you need, then you may be able to go over to them and talk to them about it.
I know that OPSEC would be a concern, so maybe it wouldn't work.  I am curious what you think though.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Re: Prepper Signs
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
Greenguy,

I like the way you are thinking.

Here are my thoughts. As previously discussed amongst us here on this forum, any rendition of a triangle within a circle is slowly being accepted as a symbol that can be used to identify us among the others. Your avatar, Ranger's avatar and the logo I used for my book, all use some form of a triangle within a circle. So, it would be conceivable that some form of those images within a mural would post who or what you are.

Establishing a colour code such as you have presented will work if, and I mean a big IF, during the times of plenty we in this community share the colour code with others of the same stripe. Blue = Water. Green = Food. Yellow = Fuel. Red = Power. I am not sure that is what you had in mind. But if you want others to understand the message, some form of codification (standardized code - universally know) must be established ahead of time.

On the Opsec side of this equation. I have two concerns.

1) You are the land owner wishing to trade barley or wheat. You use your barn mural to "advertise". It is a harsh winter and a band of travelers are passing through. They are short of feed for their horses/livestock. Time has passed and the colour code has become well know by those who have survived (whatever the event was.) They know you have or had feed, enough to paint it on to the side of the barn. They are desperate and they are armed. They come in the middle of the night, after staking out the farm for a week to learn your security procedures. They out number you. They are more desperate than you. By morning they have all that you once had. This is a common type scenario that most fear in a post SHTF or WROL type world.

2) Second scenario. You and yours have been driven a nomadic existence. Although, protective of your own you are not known to be of a marauding nature. You come upon a remote farm/ranch/village. The fly banners and have murals painted that you understand to mean they have water and food a plenty. You and a group of yours goes forth to trade for food and water. Only one little problem, this community uses the code to lure in bait. They slaughter to trading party and then send out a patrol of raiders who slaughter or enslave the remainder of your group.

Not meaning to be a fear monger, but from an Opsec point-of-view.......you have to be ready for all possibilities

In general, I do like the idea. For a starting point of networking and developing a loose method to communicate I see merit in pursuing this thought process. From an Opsec standpoint, we should all be thinking about and developing SOP's to handle this. And not just from the two scenarios I wrote above.

Please, post your thoughts on this. The more we discuss this now, the better prepared we will be in the future if/when we have to deal with this for real.

Mountainman. 

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 12:13:06 PM »
I've continued to think about this idea.  I agree with Mountainman that signage on your property would be ill advised due to the potential danger of attracting the wrong crowd.   Then I got to thinking about using colored items as symbols when you're in a crowd.   I did a google search on colored handkerchiefs and it appears that the LGBT community is way ahead of me.  You can look it up the meanings of colored handkerchiefs yourself, but basically if I had extra water and wanted to show it by tying a blue handkerchief to my body, then I might draw the attention of someone for an ENTIRELY different reason! :)
Clearly, more thought is needed....

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
Well Greenguy,
this sounds like an adventure to be sure, in more ways than one!

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Don't laugh (as I am doing right now) but perhaps a chalk mark on a post or boulder or some such thing in corporated with a pass word would be of use. This could be a daily rotating password for each day of the week followed by your handle. It would also require you to get within site of anyone's hold out, thereby not giving up the location or meaning of the mark.(Also helps with the landowner's security in IDing friend or foe, may also help in not getting your  ass shot off)

Just a suggestion...
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 09:50:09 AM »
The Hobos have a language made up of signs they can place anywhere with pencil, chalk or even in the dirt. A lot of them are universal and have simple meaning. I doubt many others would be aware of them or their meaning. Something to consider.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 09:31:13 PM »
The Boy Scout's use to be trained in "trail sign", both reading and leaving messages. Of course, it is Scouts today, both young men and young women are members.

Not sure how many Scout Troops still read the old 1908 version of the Scout Handbook written by B.P. himself. Trail Sign was very important during the African Wars and the days on the American Frontier; not to mention during the Fur Wars - HBC, NWC and AFC.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 03:21:04 PM »
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 06:35:18 PM »
Nobs,

Great find, an e-Book copy of the BSA Manual. Around {209} is the info on trail sign.

Mountainman.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 06:43:12 PM »
Yeah I was perusing the ads in the back of the book, and seen that even ads were written in prose form then. I love books that are written in prose, our language is devolving not evolving, sign of the times I would venture..LOL
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 08:15:59 PM »
I got the knick name on another forum of green dotted kelee...and I do sewing if you are in my area and see the you know what in my jeep window ..its a green dot with a smilie face

and can I make a suggestion something like this should be in a dungeon room for members eyes only, you don't want everyone to know what you signal is

If you ever get a chance read the book "The Miracle of the Scarlet Thread" yes its a Bible read,but it is about old times and how men would make a covenant and slice their arms as a show of strength

I always though making braclets and sending them to each other when SHTF we could recognize each other by the braclets

http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 08:37:30 PM »
Kelee,

I respect your suggestion of using hushed tones in darken rooms for sharing identifying signs. I think many like-minded folks have been observing Opsec (operational security) for so long they have isolated themselves from each other. Many recognize that the times, they are a changing. The time for ultra-hush-hush security is behind us. If in fact, strength is in numbers, then many like-minded folks need to network for all they are worth. Because, without a network of friendly folks, you could cease to exsist and no one would come to your assistance or worse, no one would know.

We should all practice Opsec when dealing with others, until we know them. In a post-SHTF world, I would say even more so. But we also have a challenge of getting word out to as many like-minded folks that there is a generally accepted symbol to identify each other.

The use of para-cord bracelets could work. They are fashionable at the moment.

Some version of a triangle inside a circle, is gathering momentum. Simple. Easy to fashion from many materials. Colour and designs left to each individual. That makes it harder to control in times of oppression. Hard to outlaw 10,000 different versions.

But you are right, not everyone viewing this is like-minded or potentially friendly. But with so many forums, we may be lost in the volume of forums to search.

The time has come for us to venture out of the shadows. Those of us who are like-minded, will establish contact with each other. Those who look to suppress the common person from being prepared to care for their family during natural disasters or man-made crises, will be frustrated by how many we are.

Mountainman.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:38:41 PM by Mountainman »

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 05:17:56 AM »
Mountainman

You are right in your words above..I guess I have been doing this in my area alone for such a long time..I have tried to explain to others in this own that there could be an economic collapse or emergency that they need to be prepared for and well most of them just bury their heads and hush me like nothing like that will ever happen here or in this lifetime...most of the people I know that prep are in the States and are a far distance from me...

Well for every ones info then my marker is a green dot( I came across round dots at the dollar store years ago) and it has a happy face with black marker and on the back it says green dotted kelee..I use suction cups and it is in the front window of my jeep..

If you do display this in your front window of your vehicle you may want to make a few extras, the one I had in my vehicle(I just bought the jeep) finally gave out being in the sunlight for many years it crumbled..I have my new one sitting right beside me and will be putting it up today

In my forum I have sent out many of these to members who have requested them most of them sent to the USA....

If I may suggest keep your sign simple especially if you are going to be doing some sewing on it, I do sewing and come SHTF a detailed signal would be even harder to sew on a threadle sewing machine, or if possible as I have said above make up as many as you can in advance, to give or exchange for another signal, and as replacements

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 05:23:57 AM by kelee877 »

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 10:55:43 AM »
After listening to Che talk at the Ontario Prepper meeting on the old Hobo signs, my thoughts run too, why re-invent the wheel?
Use Rangers circle sign or ICRCC's penny sign and then use Hobo signs. Who knows them anymore anyways? I will ask Che to do a post in the Campfire section on Hobo signs.

I like this topic, thank you!

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
The Boy Scout's use to be trained in "trail sign", both reading and leaving messages.

I love this book!  I've downloaded the book and have been going through it.  The old Indian markers are great!  Simple, yet effective communication for those coming down the trail after you.  Anyone not versed in them will pay no mind.

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
Green guy and I have basically the same symbol for a Prepper recognition symbol, and yet we are very different. I think Both can and should be used. I like using mine because it can indicate a few things. First being, directions to a meeting place, marked on a sign post using crayon (can be erased). Shown up side could indicate distress or danger. I have given a few of these out to a few choice individuals, and am arranging to distribute (free) to others by the leaders groups. These can be set on your keyring or hung about your neck. If you want one contact me or make your own, mine is burnt on scrap leather. My avatar is what it looks like.
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2013, 04:04:21 PM »
These are the ones I made and sent out mostly to members I have from the states..I took the circles apart hemmed the edges and ut the happy faces on them when they were mailed out..the ones I am holding one of them is the front window of my jeep

« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 01:38:02 PM by Wild_E »

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 02:59:42 PM »
Howdy All,

Last night I altered my G.O.O.D. Plan logo to more tactical colours. Please let me know what you think.

Drop by: www.thegoodplanblog.blogspot.ca to have a look at the first version of The G.O.O.D. Plan logo in Yellow and Blue.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
MntnMan
very nice, now it needs a little Motto maybe something like the Roman Legionaries used; “Strenght and honor” Latin, “Virtus et Honor”                       
Or Pro Patria
 ;)

Or the Canadian Infantry Motto   Ducimus Latin "We Lead"

« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:05:09 PM by Wild_E »

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 05:47:59 PM »
WildE,

I will informally adopt: Semper Paratus as a motto.

It means, always prepared.

MM.