Author Topic: interesting tidbit on bic lighters, et all.  (Read 1530 times)

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
interesting tidbit on bic lighters, et all.
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:59 AM »
never heard of this but now I will keep an eye on it.

Problems With Disposable Lighters!      <blockquote>               I don't how else to word the topic to bring it to the attention of everyone here.

For some time on and off I see threads or the topic comes up on disposable lighters that people have bought and put away as a prep item only to find later the lighters work only one or two times or not at all and reported no spark or flint somehow went bad.

A few day back I started a thread in another room on field craft and starting a fire with a fire-steel and technically called a Ferrocerium rod and while responding to a post to the thread the topic of Bic lighters comes up and I said there are a number of forum members have reported some flints going bad in storage and this inspired me to do some research.

First I have to tell everyone the flints in the lighters are not made of a organic rock called flint, but are actually a product made of a mix metal's we call Ferrocerium and somewhere along the way from 1903 after it was invented by a Carl Auer Welsbach. someone coined the word Flint-Steel and after that everyone called the Ferrocerium in their lighters Flint-Steel or Flint and I guess that was easer to remember and pronounce.

So research and a few finding's on the internet brought a  few message boards/forums came up and started reading and someone brought up "Corrosion" and someone else said something about "Salt" and then it hit me and the things I learned in my youth started come back to me and some here may know about it from owning a boat and having to attach a sacrificial anode to their prop-shaft or outboard engine so the propeler and prop-shaft or outboard does not dissolve into the sea water from a process called "galvanic action".

So as it turns out Ferrocerium is made of six different metal's and four of them are quite soft!
 The basic recipe whats called Mishmetal.
 Ceriun: 50%
 Lanthanum: 24%
 Neodymium: 3%
 Praseodymium: 3%
 So this basic mix is called Mishmetal and is quite soft and the metallurgical fix is to add Iron Oxide and Magesium Oxide to it.

Mishmetal: 78%
 Iron Oxide: 20%
 Magnesium Oxide: 2%
 and we have Ferrocerium.

So with these four soft metal's and two harder metal's all that needs to added is water and you can start Galvanic action and the water can be in the form of humidity in the air. 
 Now if there are impurities like some salts in the metal's used to make this mix that salt can act as a catalyst and really speed things up and in a short time end up with a small pile of gray dust and salts can also be introduced by handling it and the oils or sweat from your body contain salts or from something you ate and its on your hands.

Last night I watched a video and a demonstration of what soy sauce can do to a light my fire brand name fire steel and it's the same stuff the so called flints in the lighters is made of. So he says he will tell why he put two drops of soy sauce on this fire steel and elaborates of what prompted him to do research into why his brand name fire steel was coming apart and at the end of the video he is showing what the soy sauce did in about 8 min and it put two quite deep pits in it.

So I don't know what to tell you folks about storing Bic-lighters as a prep item and it seems a hit and miss with this problem as I have seen some pretty old disposable lighters laying around that still worked and quite a few that was still full of butane but the flint was shot or turned to dust and I've had this problem with my own home storage.</blockquote>
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
Re: interesting tidbit on bic lighters, et all.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:37:01 AM »
Great info.  Thank you!

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
Re: interesting tidbit on bic lighters, et all.
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 08:53:12 AM »
"So research and a few finding's on the internet brought a  few message boards/forums came up and started reading and someone brought up "Corrosion" and someone else said something about "Salt" and then it hit me and the things I learned in my youth started come back to me and some here may know about it from owning a boat and having to attach a sacrificial anode to their prop-shaft or outboard engine so the propeler and prop-shaft or outboard does not dissolve into the sea water from a process called "galvanic action".
"

had to  change the zincs on my boat every 2 yrs. there usually wasnt much left by then.
(that was in sea water.. BC)
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most