Author Topic: what if... you vehicle will not start  (Read 1223 times)

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
what if... you vehicle will not start
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:34:44 PM »
NO Vehicle

=

what will you do?

A. I have my backup vehicle which is an 88 Ford F350 naturally asperated diesel engine, it is a camper/box truck conversion.
Should be EMP - HEMP proof
battery cables are always kept off...

B. Bicycle with small trailer
bb dog with her dog pack and am in the process of making her a small trailer as well. (let her carry her own food, it is heavy!!)

C. Black Cadilacs - as in... hoof it out, my backpack, the trailer from the bicycle
cc dog same, no trailer

D. Winter time... trail sled modified
dd dog her own trail sled modified, she can carry her own food and metal bowl (see above... heavy food !!!)

What will you do, what are you thinking of doing??
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 05:26:10 PM by wild_E »

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
Re: what if... you vehicle will not start
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:33 PM »
I didn't even have a vehicle a year ago and for the past year I have been car-sharing, so I have already through the bug-out plans sans car.  My girls and I have bikes, but my mom doesn't, so we would likely have to walk.  Considered getting an inflatable raft to at least get out of dodge, but someone pointed out the other day that with the various dams, etc. in London, that might not work.  Otherwise, it's hiking out on foot, probably along the river.  We can each carry a BOB, which will give us some food and supplies to start with.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »
Living power my thoughts,
get your Mom a trike bike then or even a bike with training wheels. Better to be laughed at a bit than ...
remember, all through time since bikes were invented, they can carry more weight than you can, so if you have to walk beside it just let it be the beast of burden.

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 12:22:16 PM »
As an urban incarcerate, I've had to base my B.O. on the idea that the highways will be clogged of sheeple and otherwise not usable.
My methods rely only on me and are naturally emp proof and reasonable failure/retard resistant.
By bicycle, the most efficient mode of transportation ever invented, I can be in Peterborough in about 7-8 hours, perhaps as much as 10 comfortably with a lot of gear and no hurrying.
That's where my wine supplier is, so it's a natural first stop on an exit.
I might even be able to make it as far as Sudbury in 3-4 days, going Northwards. Key River at very least.
This would leave me without whiskey or wine, however and is not ideal.
For safety's sake and peace of mind, I would take about 4L of water, my b.o. belt (SWAT tactical belt with enough gear for me to survive weeks in the summer with little issues; will post sometime, but includes the usual fire and water tools) and hopefully enough trail mix and dry foods to last 3 days. Maybe... 20-25lbs total.

Alternatively, my last casual circumnavigation of the Toronto Islands, around 15-20kms by kayak, was about 2.5 hours with breaks and a speed that I can maintain indefinitely. It can store 75L of items with only a little difficulty, enough to survive anything but winter.
At that rate, I could be paddling the Trent-Severn in 2.5 hard days or the Rideau in 3.5. Suppliment with a reinforced silnylon para-sail/hammock/tarp and good weather, then I could probably half the escape time by water.

I only wish the elevator in my building could accommodate the length of a racing kayak. I could increase speed/reduce calorie use by 20% and reduce weight by half with a carbon fibre model.  :-\

Water offers a unique and immediate reduction in traffic flow, even in trouble times, although escaping up the St. Lawrence to the ocean might be a natural reaction to long time sailors, yachters and shippers. Danger to a small vessal by panicking captains of ocean worthy craft is a definite concern. Crossing shipping lanes always gets my heart rate up, even at the best of times.

The other direction, it's 350kms just to get in front of Detroit and well over 400kms to Huron (5+ days). It just doesn't make sense to run the Niagara/Welland way. Ideally, I would want to somehow get at least into the Holland Marsh waterways at Brantford, by vehicle. This could have me in the Severn/Georgian Bay routes in a matter of hours instead of days.

The few portages over potentially inactive locks (especially electrically driven onces like the Big Chute marine rail-lock [#44] at Honey Harbour or the Peterborough Lift Lock) would not be an issue as a yak can be carried on one arm with my gear, over the paddle, in the other. Hurray for drybags with handles.
As an added bonus, at the destination end, each portage off a major, car-accessible waterway reduces the likelyhood of running into other humans by about 90%(based on casual observation).

If I was leading children or the completely unfit, I could probably easily assume double the above times would be required, otherwise there would be muscle burn-out before we reached the final destination, severe morale damage and a huge time tax for increased water filtration.

If I lived in Hearst, I could just lock my front door. It would be much easier...
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller