Author Topic: Favorite Bug Out Bag  (Read 7214 times)

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
Re: Favorite Bug Out Bag
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »
I just saw a similar unit being towed by a bicycle, without a load. In this case I must admit it did look like a recipe for disaster. It had the usual single point attachment and with an uneven load it would be beyond a nightmare to tow.
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
I have this.  Its simply a military surplus backpack.   Its great, fits everything I need to get started and live for a fairly extended length of time in a bind....  What I like is that it has several pockets on it so I can readily access different items while travelling.  Calories, compass, etc. 

Before anyone says it...yes, the black case on the bottom is gone and content concealed within the pack now. :)   Became irritatingly obvious how it sticks out and really serves no practical purpose hanging off like that.  :)

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
what was in the bag? Looks like a cot holder to me, I have a Swiss brand one and it is huge and comfy!

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
Wild_E  when it is packed your cot is bigger and heavier than my tent pack!  :o
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 10:09:34 AM »
yes, that is a long term cot for comfiness not for bugging out!
nice and soft and big and comfy and actually better for sleeping in than my bed actually!

Offline Jerry D Young

• Author of a 100+ stories
  • Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Jerry D Young
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2013, 04:18:56 PM »
My primary kit is a multi-purpose kit, most of it on a game cart. But part of the kit is a Kifaru Marauder 2,500ci MOLLE pack with gun bearer, cargo shelf, and Omni belt. (I have a large very discrete pack cover for it.)  Since I can only carry 10 to 15 pounds normally, up to 20 in a real pinch for short times, on my back, the Kifaru carries only the basics. A Kifaru E&E 1,000ci pouch/pack is a dedicated survival kit that can be piggy backed to the Marauder, or carried on the game cart, placed where I can grab it and go in case everything must be abandoned on a moment's notice.

Having discovered actual effective 'off-road' rolling packs, such as the Dixon already mentioned, I will be looking at them as an intermediate option to let me carry more with me than the Marauder without having to use the game cart. I plan to incorporate something like the Dixon as part of the game cart load, where I can strap into it and take it and the Kifaru/E&E combo, leaving the heaviest and bulkiest items on the cached game cart. But that is a future project.

Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:20:06 PM by Jerry D Young »
Jerry D Young - https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and always remember TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein) Kindle Author page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
what was in the bag? Looks like a cot holder to me, I have a Swiss brand one and it is huge and comfy!

Lol. I promise no cot, etc. I didn't pack a propane cappucino machine either! ;)

The extra bag did not sit right sideways, then I fastened it vertical...then it hit the dump! :) 

My bag is under 40 pounds but we'll stocked. I don't carry water, just a Berkey water bottle which does 75 gal. I believe.
"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
Here is a really fantastic item to go with our BOBs...I hiked 19.4 kms the other weekend up a mountain, round a lake nestled in the mountains, and back down with a 45lb backpack, and let me tell you I was really wishing I had this!

I did not think I could do it but with the mutual support between my hiking partner and I, we did it. Support is so precious..... :)

I am totally going to make one of these, with some additions/changes for myself.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no2zmMyGhHU
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline wild_E

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
Yes, support can be beautiful  ;D

I always take a 1/4 staff with me when hiking, so useful in so many ways!

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 11:55:22 AM »
I ended up using a stick from along the trail, but Id like to have a multifunction staff like this one.
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline mrselfdistruct

• Contributer
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2013, 12:02:23 AM »
Hmm love the topic, and the responses.  I believe in a tiered system, I have a LBV and hunting/BOB that get repacked almost every week for weekend activity's.  The BOB is a camelback brand hunting pack, that I got second hand somewhere and has the basics for survival, think food water and shelter.  The LBV is more about security.  This is a light load, but i feel that if this is all I have to 'run' with... this is what I would want with me.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2013, 12:18:25 AM »
Hmm love the topic, and the responses.  I believe in a tiered system, I have a LBV and hunting/BOB that get repacked almost every week for weekend activity's.  The BOB is a camelback brand hunting pack, that I got second hand somewhere and has the basics for survival, think food water and shelter.  The LBV is more about security.  This is a light load, but i feel that if this is all I have to 'run' with... this is what I would want with me.

I could not agree more I think that a tiered response is by far the best approach. Have the options available and choose a solution that is appropriate for the situation. I have extensive BO materials in BOV. I have a full BOB and I have an additional 36 hour BOB. Depending on the situation I can keep or abandon as dictated by the situation. I love available redundancy!  8)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2014, 10:45:10 PM »
All,

After listening to all concerned on this forum and others about not using military styled packs to protect yourself from becoming a target of mobs.

I have found this pack pictured below that has military sympathetic colours but civilian styling. It is available in a 60 and 75 litre configurations. Okay the sizing on this picture is a little large but you can go to MEC.ca for more info on the Brio 60 and Brio 75 backpack - Men's. The ladies has different colouring.

MM.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2014, 08:55:40 AM »
This is all fabulous information, folks.  I am in the process of building up my BOB and need a decent pack.  I will be heading out to our local surplus store soon to see what they have, but knowing MEC has some good choices is great.  When I have chosen a pack, I'll post it here to see what you all think.  I am assuming things such as the amount of space, the number of compartments and side pockets, the level of waterproofness (LOL new word?), and the ability to attach things on the outside (when appropriate) are all important considerations.

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2014, 12:52:32 PM »
Mine is my old '64 pattern ruck with a custom bag.  Like MM, it's ugly but I've put a lot of miles on it and it's comfy.  Everything in it is in Ziploc bags and the main compartment has a waterproof liner.  Of course I've tried to pack as light as possible and I can use it as a flotation device if I need to cross a river.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
I just bought a North 49 waterproof pack.  It's got a lot of capacity and a lot of support.  Feels very comfortable to carry.  It's black.  Not sure if that's the most ideal colour, but it's certainly better than anything bright.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:39 AM »
Which model of the North 49 did you buy? Perhaps you will be able to give a review of it once you have had a chance to put it through its paces. There is always a comfort in knowing that you have the right too for the job and a quality too to boot.