Author Topic: The Pelican 45 Toboggan Project  (Read 4907 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
The Pelican 45 Toboggan Project
« on: March 10, 2013, 09:03:23 PM »
Howdy All,

Ever thought about having to bugout in the Canadian Winter?? You got skis and snowshoes and a mountain of gear and food, But you can only carry so much on your back. What are you options??

May I suggest a covered toboggan. On some surplus websites you can get a skiff or a toboggan of former military duty but you will be looking to spend $140 to over $400. Another option is to build your own from readily available products and a bit of time sewing and stitching the cover to the toboggan.

My project started with a Pelican 45 Toboggan on sale from Canadian Tire. Then I beefed up the tow-point, made a cover and then attached the cover to the toboggan. I used a soldering iron to melt holes through the cover and then the toboggan, too. Before stitching the cover to the toboggan I inserted brass eyelets/small grommets to prevent the fabric from fraying. I used poly-pro draw cord to lace the cover to the toboggan.

Here are some pic's.

Or follow these links to my blog to read the whole story:

Part 1: http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/2013/02/project-pelican-toboggan-part-one.html

Part 2: http://mtnmanblog.blogspot.ca/2013/03/project-pelican-45-toboggan-part-two.html

Hope you find that helpful.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline M590a1

• VIP
  • Politically Incorrect
Re: The Pelican 45 Toboggan Project
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 11:41:06 AM »
Very nice.
If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm, but because of those who look on without doing anything.

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 02:19:57 PM »
As a person that has had to lug a military toboggan around, from what I can see, you done a great job with good incite as to reinforcement.
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 04:09:15 PM »
Thanks Ranger.

We took it out for a few short trips last winter. It tracks well, even with just a single trace out front and no tiller bar at the back. And it is a whole lot lighter, even without gear. Of course, it is shorter and that will limit what gear can be carried inside. But for a winter camping trip, I would rather drag a toboggan that have to wear a pack.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
Bump.

Maybe August was the wrong month to start this topic........but, anyhow. Anyone else working on a toboggan project or using their sled for winter operations??

MM.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 09:57:28 PM »
Evenin' All,

Last weekend the boy and I used our toboggans on a Winter Campout. We snowshoed in with our Troop and pulled the toboggans with a simple loop of 1" tubal webbing. Pulling a toboggan is still easier than humping a ruck. IMHO, of course.

What else did I learn?? Well, I am glad you asked.....
The toboggan is quite narrow, perfect for tracking behind a single set of snowshoe tracks, however, if you add a few extra items before leaving the parking lot, make sure to get them low in the toboggan. Otherwise, your toboggan may be top heavy and dump over if the trail has too much cross-slope. Once the toboggan was loaded properly, axe and heavy items in the bottom the toboggan did not tip over.

For more control a harness, like the ones used on a Pulk, would give more control, especially on downhills.

Maybe, next time I will wax the base of the toboggan and see if that has any impact - good or bad.

And, yes. We now have 2 Pelican Toboggans with covers on them. I think this is a must have piece of kit for Winter survival, especially if you had to ditch your BOV enroute to your BOL.

Cheers,

Mountainman.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 07:33:43 AM »
nifty rig MM..

looks very similar to my ice fishing rig i built yrs ago.. I just added an old pr of skis underneath a toboggan.
(with a sm piece of 2x4 for stand-off.)
 this prevented alot of sideways motion. it was built in such a way as to be able to stand the whole shebang up on it's end at the fishin spot.. thus giveing you a seat (one end of the box) and a windbreak.
the toboggan had a sorta BOX shape built on to help prevent gear from falling out/off.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 09:04:58 AM »
Very cool, indeed!  I find so much inspiration on here for these kinds of projects!

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2014, 01:35:13 PM »
Bump.

Maybe August was the wrong month to start this topic........but, anyhow. Anyone else working on a toboggan project or using their sled for winter operations??

MM.

I ordered 2 black toboggans, after you first posted the idea, that fit together to create an enclosed space...they are small but good for 1 person to lugg around... my boyfriend bought a little Elan snowmobile that has a bigger motor in it and outfitted it with a towing bar and bigger toboggan..its a awesome set up! we were both on the Elan and had the mostly empty sled behind, and still made it up a pretty steep hill the other day.. very impressive :)
for next winter, we are going to paint everything white ;)
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2014, 09:05:38 PM »
AAA,

Cool. I like the concept of an Elan or even the new Tundra, but alas I have no place to keep a snowmachine.

Cheers,

MM.

PS - Maybe posts some pic's once the paint job is complete????

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 01:21:57 PM »
yes, im planning on doing that!  :))
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt