Author Topic: Unusual Fire Starter  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Unusual Fire Starter
« on: July 24, 2013, 09:04:58 PM »
Years ago I bought a bulk lot of 303  surplus ammo. When I got it home discovered that about of it was WW1 era. I thought they were duds when I went to fire them.... no boom...LOL. Being the pack rat that I am, I through them over in the corner. Then decided that I was going to pull them apart and reuse the lead bullets. To my surprise each cartridge didn't have the normal smokeless powder in them. They had what's referred to as "Spaghetti Powder" long thin strips of gun powder.

So to get to the point. By using about a dozen of these little strips and a match makes a really quick way to start a fire.

Just a little bit of info you can tuck away for a rainy day.
The Count Down is On

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: Unusual Fire Starter
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 10:47:40 PM »
never saw the spaghetti powder but have heard of it only.

At the 2013 prepper survivalist meeting, I gave some L-can stoves and penny stoves to some girls after my demonstration talk. They could get those to fire up, but not get the bush lit and keep it lit, so they used the little alcohol stoves to get the bush burning eventually.

They were sheepish and confessed that they had issues getting the wood to catch, until I told them, remember what I said in the Demo, use whatever you have on you to get the fire going. Sure it is nice to say, I start all my fires with a bow drill, it is nicer to say, Yes Mom I lived because I used an alcohol stove or some gun powder to get the fire burning. So I dried all my cloths, ate some hot food and had a hot drink and lived.

I also showed them a Northern Match, a propane torch, told them to make the wood into the shape they wanted for the fire, stick in the Northern Match and let the torch burn away until there was a good fire.

Jwild, I know you and know you can do all that, just adding to the discussion. Still want to see that powder though so save some for me to take a peek at please !!!

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 11:48:20 PM »
The "spaghetti" in your .303 rounds is Cordite. That is a WW1 era propellant and one of the first smokeless powders developed in Britain around 1889. Depending on manufacture date some of your rounds may have been made for the Second Boer War. Very interesting stuff. It is called Cordite because it is extruded into cord like strings. It is quite stable and burns cooler than some more modern powders and therefore is less damaging to gun barrels. Some interesting trivia..LOL

JAB
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 07:19:09 PM »
Wild_E you can always drop in and see me on one of your trips north
The Count Down is On

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
Jwild, thanks for the invite and I might just take you up on your kind offer Sir!