Author Topic: A Jewish take on introducing preparedness  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Lake Lili

• Campfire Member
  • Asset
  • CanAm Author
A Jewish take on introducing preparedness
« on: April 18, 2014, 06:46:17 AM »
I have to say that on this Good Friday morning, I came across an article by Dalhia Lithwick called the Survivalist Seder  - http://www.slate.com/articles/life/family/2014/04/survivalist_seder_this_passover_we_packed_go_bags.html

I am posting the link it because frankly I had never given much thought to how or even whether other religious communities prep.  Yes people are people regardless of their professed faith but most of the preppers I have met are Christian (practicing or cultural) or professing no faith at all.  So I read Ms Lithwick's article with interest.  I'll be the first to admit that its rather fluffy with a goal of feel good but it was interesting from the point of view of how one family brought the idea of preparedness home to their family and friends.

Worth the five minute read...  As one commentator wrote: "Passover is a celebration of the liberation of the Jews from Egypt, with them leaving right now, with only what they could carry..."  Strikes me that finding a way to celebrate the need for a go-bag might be a good idea.
... if ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, of what flock are ye?  - Alma 5:39

Remember to keep clear the line between sheep and sheeple!

Offline iamusul

• VIP
Re: A Jewish take on introducing preparedness
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »
Thanks for the  interesting post. I had not made the connection between Passover, and preparedness. The author illustrates very well the dynamic between various family members
and the difficulty of getting the whole crew on board.
Many times, there is one family member who tries to convince the rest that even basic
preparations are a waste of time, and even that the whole subject is tin foil hat paranoia.

I even know of a elderly woman who forbade her adult Son  under threat of turning
him into the local mental health authoritys as a paranoid.
This poor fellow was forced to hide his preps in the crawl space of their home.

As a side note, it all too often is the Jews who are persecuted.
Even during this week, one of the areas that have been overrun by pro Russia thugs, are demanding that all jews over age 16, register with the province, and give a itemized list of all their money, and a list of all property they own.

You can fill in the blanks as to why they are singled out AGAIN.

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »
The first of the 4 blood moons occurred Tuesday. You can see the pics of the blood moon on the internet, if you didn't see it yourself.
See my post "Revelations" under "Debatable Topics" category for more on this..  :) 
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
I really wanted to see it but it was cloudy and snowing all night. I wanted to get some decent photographs.  :(
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline Lake Lili

• Campfire Member
  • Asset
  • CanAm Author
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 05:08:17 PM »
IAMUSUL - I read about the order for Jew to register in Crimea too.  I have since read several more follow-up articles about it in a couple of different sources.  Interestingly there was a report on a UK newspaper wherein the head of the primary Pro-Russian group in whose name the order was distributed advised that he had contacted the Head Rabbi and advised that they had issued no such order and there were no plans to issue such an order.  Further more he suggested that the order had been issued by pro-Ukranian forces in an attempt to discredit the Pro-Russian groups.  As hey say in war the first thing to die is truth.

The Daily Mail (a cross between Fox, CNN, the National Enquirer and People magazine - its always good for a horrifying laugh) had a rather interesting article last week talking about how Putin views dealing with the west.  It was good for putting for some view points I hadn't seen discussed here due to our own propaganda biases.  Essentially, Putin des not recognize that Crimea or in fact the Ukraine as being independent of Russia.  He views them as a failed experiment and time to bring them back into the fold.  While Poland has prospered and is stable, the Ukraine is not, and Russia is no longer interested in having that degree of instability along its borders.  The West is rather like a muzzled dog - lots of bark and unable to bite.
... if ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, of what flock are ye?  - Alma 5:39

Remember to keep clear the line between sheep and sheeple!

Offline iamusul

• VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 07:39:24 PM »
IAMUSUL - I read about the order for Jew to register in Crimea too.  I have since read several more follow-up articles about it in a couple of different sources.  Interestingly there was a report on a UK newspaper wherein the head of the primary Pro-Russian group in whose name the order was distributed advised that he had contacted the Head Rabbi and advised that they had issued no such order and there were no plans to issue such an order.  Further more he suggested that the order had been issued by pro-Ukranian forces in an attempt to discredit the Pro-Russian groups.  As hey say in war the first thing to die is truth.

The Daily Mail (a cross between Fox, CNN, the National Enquirer and People magazine - its always good for a horrifying laugh) had a rather interesting article last week talking about how Putin views dealing with the west.  It was good for putting for some view points I hadn't seen discussed here due to our own propaganda biases.  Essentially, Putin des not recognize that Crimea or in fact the Ukraine as being independent of Russia.  He views them as a failed experiment and time to bring them back into the fold.  While Poland has prospered and is stable, the Ukraine is not, and Russia is no longer interested in having that degree of instability along its borders.  The West is rather like a muzzled dog - lots of bark and unable to bite.

Lili, very good takeaway, and I am happy to hear that they are not about re-enact Kristalknacht (sp)
I agree completely with your assessment of the Daily Mails veracity.
This post was interesting on many levels.
Thanks for the post