Author Topic: C-Diff  (Read 1096 times)

Offline Parkerhale308

• Asset
C-Diff
« on: March 25, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »

As a healthcare worker I'm concerned with these two articles as my job is infection control and a s long term care home we get our residents back from the hospital with C-Difficile
MRSA, and the super bugs are getting stronger and stronger.

C.diff outbreak hospital told to improve infection control

Caroline Wilson
Reporter
WEDNESDAY 19 MARCH 2014
A HOSPITAL at the centre of a C.diff outbreak six years ago that contributed to the deaths of 28 patients has been warned by health inspectors to improve infection control procedures.

SUSAN BRIMELOW: Called for improvements within a month.
SUSAN BRIMELOW: Called for improvements within a month.
CUSTOM BYLINE TEXT:
CAROLINE WILSON
Staff at the Vale of Leven ­Hospital in Alexandria , West Dunbartonshire have been ordered to wear the correct gloves and prioritise the disposal of waste appropriately by the Healthcare Environment Inspectorate (HEI).
Inspectors found some staff were unsure on the correct way to clean up blood spillages and also found evidence of poor waste disposal on three wards, with ­clinical waste put in a ­domestic bin.
Hospital bosses and the families of the victims are awaiting a report into the C.diff outbreak, which is due to be published shortly.
Despite the flaws discovered, the inspection team, which made a surprise visit on January 16, found overall that wards were clean and staff were knowledgeable about infection control.
HEI Chief inspector Susan Brimelow said: "This inspection found evidence that Vale of Leven Hospital is working to comply with the majority of standards to protect patients, staff and visitors from acquiring an infection.
"Patients spoke positively about the cleanliness of their wards and staff were aware of their individual responsibilities for the prevention and control of infection.
"We also found significant improvements have been made to the physiotherapy department, which has been refurbished since our last inspection."
She called for improvements to be made within a month in ­ensuring staff complied properly with current guidelines on gloves selection policy and their usage.
The inspectorate also wants standard infection control precautions to be applied for waste management and disposal within the time period.
The hospital has 92 beds and was last inspected in June 2012.
Health Secretary Alex Neil said the report showed it was "driving up quality improvements".
He said: "While the hospital has made significant progress in this area, achieved by supporting staff to embed good practice across all services, we can never be complacent about healthcare associated infections (HAIs).
"The government is committed to looking critically at all services to ensure they are providing the highest standard of care for patients and these inspections are one of a range of measures we are taking to tackle HAIs.
"I want every patient to have complete confidence in the cleanliness of their local hospital and the quality and safety of its services. While the Vale of Leven has undergone service redesign and improvement, I expect NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde to keep working hard to address the issues flagged in this report and continue to make progress in this key priority area."
HEI was established in 2009 to help reduce the risk of infection among hospital patients. Each year it carries out around 30 inspections.
NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC) admitted that staff knowledge of the correct procedure for cleaning spills was poor among staff. However, the report found that senior charge nurses "spoke confidently about standard infection control precautions (SICPs), monitoring activity and the various infection control activities on their wards.
Of 46 patients surveyed, 41 said the ward was always clean and the hospital was also praised for refurbishing the gym area.
Rory Farrelly, NHSGGC's Acute Director of Nursing said: "We were very pleased to note the number of positive findings at the Vale of Leven Hospital by the HEI inspectors.
"However, we recognise that there are still areas we need to address and are working with staff to ensure that the requirements and recommendations made by the inspection team are implemented."
Warning to doctors as threat of superbug resurfaces

Helen Puttick
Health Correspondent
FRIDAY 8 NOVEMBER 2013
A warning that the hospital bug Clostridium difficile is threatening lives in Scots communities has been issued by an expert on infectious diseases.

CUSTOM BYLINE TEXT:
helen puttick health correspondent
Professor Robert Masterton, director of the Institute of Healthcare Associated Infection at the University of the West of Scotland, urged the NHS not to be complacent about tackling the infection which played a part in 18 deaths during an outbreak at Vale of Leven Hospital in Alexandria , West Dunbartonshire .
Although figures show the spread of C.diff in Scottish hospitals has dropped significantly since 2010, Mr Masterton said the pace of improvement had levelled off and infection rates had recently increased in some health board areas. In Fife three patients died from a new strain earlier this year.
Mr Masterton, a key contributor to a report Think C-differently, published today, called on GPs to be vigilant and identify patients who could be suffering from the infection.
He said: "This report is to try to avoid a sense of complacency, a sense [the superbug] MRSA is done and C.diff is done. Neither of them is done.
"It is about emphasising that about the same number of cases occur in the community as occur in hospital and it is about time we did something about that.
"And about the same number of cases occur in younger people, under the age of 65."
Eighteen people died during the outbreak at the Vale of Leven Hospital in the winter of 2007, and findings from a public inquiry which was set up in 2009 are due to be published within the next five months following repeated delays.
Mr Masterton said: "The Vale of Leven report is not going to make pleasant reading for a large number of people. It is important that it is seen in context. It was several years ago and, yes, there are lessons from it, but let's remember where we have got to."
He praised Nicola Sturgeon, former Scottish Health Secretary, and Alex Neil, who took over the role last year, for their focus on healthcare infection, and said surveillance for the bug and scrutiny of prevention measures such as hand hygiene were much better than they used to be.
However, he stressed GPs should obtain samples from patients with symptoms of C.diff to screen for the infection to crack down on its spread in the community.
Mr Masterton said: "General ­practitioners, especially [when diagnosing] someone who is elderly, especially who has had an antibiotic in the last three months, should be sending in a sample. Frequently, they don't.
"They give the patient something to stop the diarrhoea, but they do not test it."
He suggested GPs were not in the habit of testing because the symptoms were so common.
However, he said doctors should be able to identify patients at greater risk of C.diff, such as people who have recently taken antibiotics, and screen them. This would then allow the infection to be treated appropriately, he said, and for the right infection control measures to be taken in the patient's home or care home.
"C.diff is still fatal," he added. "The death rate remains high at up to 15%."
Mr Masterton, previously lead ­clinician for the west of Scotland cancer network and one of the highest earners in the Scottish NHS before he retired, also warned that the prevalence of C.diff, along with other hospital infections, was higher in Scotland than other parts of the UK and Europe, and "we need to work out why".
In the case of C.diff he said this might be to do with better recording of cases, but this did not necessarily apply to other infections such as MRSA.
A National Audit Office report published in 2009 quoted prevalence rates of hospital infections of 9.5% in Scotland , 8.2% in England and 6.4% in Wales .
The Think C-differently report, which was produced by a panel of C.diff experts, was sponsored by Astellas Pharma Ltd, a company involved in the C.diff drugs market.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
hospitals
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 07:43:39 PM »
Im not sure whether i feel sry for the nurses or the drs or the patients.
 4 yrs ago I had blood clots in legs and eventually went to emerge.
(emereg has diff dr ea time) I dont know med,, i didnt go to med school. BUT I do know if my leg is on fire and the fire is spreading up an artery/vein?
 I was sent home afetr ultrasound.. I said "do the ultrasound here" he saidthat aint where the dr said to do it.. Its where I told the dr the lump/pain was,..eventaully sent home with antibiotics.. antis dont do anything for blood clots./ came back to ER 2 weeks later when I could not walk or stand the pain.
diff dr same ultrasound guy.
 finally i was told that i had a high chance to have died from the clots. I told them clots at the first time but I am too stupid to know what a clot is.
their incompetenace could have killed me and all that would have been said was "well he should have come in earlier"

I was told i would be on warfarin for life but after i went on alternatives for a few months and then wanted to go back to warfarin. I was told "maybe its not clots"

I,m sry.. there are many who worship drs and med techs/. I aint seen it.. I have seen ignorance and apathy and complacency.
 no changeing of gloves between patience and no attempting to make the patient understand in thier terms. and certainly no latitude given to the paitients statement of cause.

sry to burst the bubble . but them folks is either overworked or apathetic.,
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most