Author Topic: Storing Small Coleman Propane Tanks  (Read 8962 times)

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
Storing Small Coleman Propane Tanks
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:26:50 AM »
Hi all.  I am wondering the best place to store these small Coleman propane tanks, the ones that screw onto a camp stove.  I do not have a lot of storage options.  I have the main floor and second floor of the house I rent and no basement.  There is a detached garage that is not insulated.  And there is outside.  Temperature in the winter is obviously cold, very much do this winter, even in S. ON., and always well below zero every winter.  I have them inside right now, have for quite some time without any problems.  I want to stock a few more, to be used in emergencies.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
Re: Storing Small Coleman Propane Tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 10:55:29 AM »
I have a few that I store in my basement but they do not really figure into my prep plan. Now we heat the house with propane and there are two separate tanks outside. I do not think that you would have any problem at all storing them in an unheated garage. The question is how many do you need to store and what is reasonable before the PTB probably in this case the local fire department would suggest that the number constitutes a hazard?
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 11:09:57 AM »
I am not thinking of storing dozens of them.  Just a few, maybe half a dozen or so.  If the SHTF in a big way, then I guess I'd just cook over a fire anyway, so the stove is more for short-term emergencies.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 11:33:28 AM »
There should not be a problem at all storing a few. The cold will not bother them.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »

Hey there,
those little bottles are extremely expensive!
- Only buy them when the come on sale in the 3 pack.
- They are the same as the larger bottles in the tool section for propane torches, there is no difference except the ones in the tool section are larger and cheaper per bottle.
- You only need them for the tiny one burner stoves, and only as a vehicle emergency stove/heater.
- long term or much cheaper way is to get the adaptor hose.
- camping section --- $45
- BBQ section -- $25-30 much cheaper
simply screw one end into the small appliance you want, single burner stove (if you can build a base, easy!!)
  small heaters
  stoves that are two - three burner

NOW... the 1 pound bottles are the same pressure as 100 lb or 200 lb (see dealer to make sure as there are variations)
  all the 1 pound to 100 lb bottles can have the hose put on them, then the adaptor hose put into the small units. If the unit has a regulator, then just use a regular propane connector hose, which is much cheaper.

All the info was from a Propane Sales/Owner who specializes in bulk propane and selling 20 lb and up.

The cost for a one pound propane bottle now, ranges from $3.50 to $4.50 each
= $70 !!!!!!!

a 20 lb tank to fill is about $17-$22 so a savings of about $50 for the equivalent in using 20 of the one pounders.

The small propane heaters and some heater stove combos will use a 1 pound bottle up in as little as 4 hrs to 8 hrs !!!
huge cost there..

A 100 lb tank to refill costs from $75-$95 to fill so even at the high end, the savings are just mega huge!! - vs 100 of the 1 pounders at $350 at lowest cost to run them.

Those little bottles are only for the small stoves or small heaters to stay in a vehicle for emergency reasons, to my way of thinking.

A Coleman SportCat (pretty sure off top of head) will last up to 14 hrs on a small bottle
A Little Buddy heater, has only 8 hrs of use on it for the lowest setting.

YOU do the math there.
All bottles should be stored outside for health, safety and insurance reasons. Even with -30 cel they will work, although wrapping them in an insulated blanket will keep the wind away and the propane flowing much better and efficiently. 

For the last 3 yrs, I have been heating with propane 4 seasons, in my small living space. Bottle sit outside all year long, when storms are coming, they get covered with a tarp and some bubble wrap, no issues so far. Leave a wee vent hole up top, just to make sure. Propane is heavier than air, so if there is a small hole on top it would push the propane down and outside of the insulated wrap for safety reasons.
<must work, they use propane to heat this way up in the Arctic and near arctic camps>

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »
If you have the financial resources it would be MUCH better to get a 20lb propane tank with an adapter hose that will fit your
stove. Cheaper, refillable and much more efficient.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 01:04:46 PM »
ps.
if it is a 20lb tank, it can be hung safely and easily up from the rafters or walls in a garage to get it up out of the way, or just put on floor, put them on top of each other, strapped to the wall. That is how they get stored at gas stations! one on top of the other

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 02:02:05 PM »
Thanks for the info, everyone!