Author Topic: When Should Children Make Their Way Home?  (Read 1495 times)

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
When Should Children Make Their Way Home?
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:44:18 AM »
Wondering people's opinions on when children should leave their school (or wherever they are, with school being the most likely location) if there is an emergency or the SHTF.  Obviously, there are many emergencies where they would be far better off staying put and following the procedures set out by the school board.  You know, severe weather, etc.  But in a SHTF scenario, where things have really gone wrong, when would a child "bug-out" of school and head home.  It would depend on their age, of course, and how far away from home they are.  For example, we live right across the street from our school and my kids are 9 and 11.  They could easily make it home if need be, but I am assuming if there is an emergency situation in which I would feel better having them home rather than at the school, how would they get out?  How would they say to the teachers and staff, we're leaving?  Would it be safe for them to come even that short distance by themselves (would depend on what's happening)?  Perhaps I would have to go get them myself.  Just thinking out loud here and welcoming opinions on the matter.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
Re: When Should Children Make Their Way Home?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 03:34:34 PM »
One thing to keep in mind that if there is any manner of 'lockdown' situation what are the policies of the school? Are kids allowed to leave? Are parents or others allowed to pick them up? What are the protocols to do this? Will it be a reasonable plan to teach your kids how and when to 'escape' from the school if the policy is they HAVE to stay? So many things to consider.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline Greenguy

• Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Mr. Patches
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 03:59:23 PM »
JAB has a point.
You can break school emergencies into two groups:
1.  Events where the school leadership is functioning and your children are under their care.
2.  Events where the school leadership is not functioning and your children are not being properly supervised or cared for.

It's a pretty safe assumption that in most all group 1 events your children should remain in the care of the legitimate school leadership until such time as that leadership dissolves or is proven to be ineffective at keeping those in their care safe.
What about group 2?  In group 2 the leadership has either been dissolved, ineffective, or unable to keep your children safe.
Everyone should have a plan in place to deal with group 2.  For you (Livingpower), it may be feasible for your children to make it home safely due to their proximity.  For me, my children are too far away.  They are to stay in a predetermined area either at the school or nearby shelter and wait for us parents to arrive.  They are not to accept rides from anyone else.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
The question I raise is this... if in the event of some catastrophe that you wish to get your kids and bug out.... and the school is in lockdown and will not anyone to  enter or leave... what is your plan? Have you discussed this with your school? What are their policies and protocols? Do they have a plan for this eventuality? Do you?
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 08:44:40 PM »
if the school is in lockdown then nobody in and nobody out.. I,m sure they will enforce this rule until police arrive. this needs to be discussed with the principal now.. b4 the fact. so you are aware of what to expect.
do your kids have ONE classroom? is it ground floor?
do they have phone?
 do the kids have a BOB(sorta) backpack? whats in it?

if teaching kids to escape school they need to have a destination, and a route (preferrably the quickest route to adequate cover, from the school)
ie .. not running across an open football field to get to the other side to make their escape.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:11 AM »
I agree that in the majority of situations, kids should stay put and follow the procedures the school follows.  I also think that if there was a really bad situation, I should go get them myself, rather than have them get home on their own.  If there is truly a problem, even a grid down situation, they would be sent home or picked up sometime that day and in a grid down the school wouldn't reopen until power was restored anyway.

Most situations would be fine and if there was true chaos, in which, like GreenGuy said there supervision of the kids had broken down, then I somehow don't think it would be a problem to go in and get my kids out.  Living across the street from the school certainly helps.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:02:37 AM by livingpower »