Author Topic: Horses  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Horses
« on: February 25, 2014, 03:04:52 PM »
I have seen a few posts about the use of horses on homesteads or Bug-Out Retreats.
Just want to get the romantic images out of peoples heads. They are a lot of work. And are not for everyone.
I personally love horses, they're beautiful creatures. When I live in Calgary, nothing I enjoyed more (except being in the army reserves) than throwing a saddle on a horse and spending the day riding in the foothills. But after spending a couple years working at a horse stables with the gentlest cratures,  to the crankiest, stubbornest, willful stallons  that God put on this earth. Now 30 years later, I know that doesn't matter how beautiful and romamntic it wouldbe have have my a couple of horse at my B-O-P/homestead, I know I don't have and won't have the time or the patients to properly take care of them. It might be different if I was still out west, where there is the posibility of some open range to graze them. But being back in Ontario there isn't enough open space for pasture.
Among domesticated horses, colic is the leading cause of premature death. To simply that an upset stomach can kill them.
If you want a beast of burned look at a donkey, a jackass (not your 2-legged neighbor  :)) )  or a cow (oxen).
Rememeber dual purpose (expecially with animals) is one of the best ways to survive.
The Count Down is On

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: Horses
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 03:36:31 PM »
We have a miniature donkey and he is awesome. A watch dog, alarm clock, predator control, and broke to harness. The horses can be a lot of work, especially if you go for the fancy breeds like arabs, walkers, standard breds.... That's why we went with The Peruvian Paso, gentle, fearless, tough, easy to train, high lung and heart capacity, hard hoofed ( no need to shoe them even in the mountains) a very high bone density, and the most important thing easy keepers (Lower feed volumes) Of course they are also the world's smoothest riding horse. But as you say horses are not for just anyone that wants a pet to look at.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 07:50:50 PM »
Growing up we used horses for everything, there was no machinery so I know little bit about them. So for those that just dreaming I RECOMEND FOURWHILLER. Much easier to maintain and train. I have 2 of them and even my wife rides them. A little bit of gas and she goes.
Henry

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 03:02:58 AM »
My neighbour has a trail ride business and also does cattle drives for ranchers around the area.  His herd of 20+ horses, includes several breeds.  I often help him as a wrangler on the trail rides and take part in many of the cattle drives.  Every year a bunch of us get together and spend a few days camping and riding up in the Ya Ha Tinda.  When the day comes that I can finally get a horse and tack of my own, he has agreed to help me with it and to let my horse be a part of his herd.  I guess I'll have the best of both worlds.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 11:02:00 AM »
Sounds good Taz, we"ll be foaling three mares this spring, gonna keep one and sell the others to pay for more feed and tack.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline above all, adapt

• Global Moderator
  • VIP
  • AAA
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
Good to see you back a bit, Nobs!
Give respect, get respect.

Above all, adapt

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Been pretty busy, I"ll try to be a good boy...
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
Yes we missed you.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
Just got super busy with physio and rehab work...and of course youtube, which is surprisingly fun
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer