Author Topic: TOOLS TO SURVIVE OR BE INDIPENDENT  (Read 6885 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: TOOLS TO SURVIVE OR BE INDIPENDENT
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 01:50:26 PM »
I know, it took years to get it through to her. When I have the basic tools and time, we can build it. BTW that steamer I used works best with a length of 1/4" id clear rubber hose. We were clearing ice (solid) at about 2 1/2' per minute..wear heavy gloves burnt my fingers a few times...LOL
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 02:26:26 PM »
Nothing I hate more than people  saying  I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO DO IT. Nothing but laziness.
Last summer I used small water heater  +, copper tubing to make my own " buzz " 80% proof. What a disinfectant. One shut and you forget all your problems.
Henry

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
That's all I need, for me it's one shot closer to stupid...LOL But for a cleaner that would be awesome, or a fuel additive...no no stop to many other things to do before I fire up a still.But will keep it in mind.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:10 PM »
Come on you know you want to build it. ;)
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-other-Propane-stoves-for-ice-huts-W0QQAdIdZ560178293

I have been looking at this small, 7X7X12inch high, propane unit. It would last quite awhile in a 25lb propane tank, and looks like you could boil water on it.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2014, 02:26:22 PM »
Henry you asked for input. You were given input then your response was fairly ............... Over 90% of this list might not apply to you, but you did not set much info or parameters to go by.

This is the most comprehensive list I have ever seen.
If you look over the list again I am sure you will see a thing or two to add to your inventory, I know I have.

Now of course this would be a very good guide for an entire group or someone wanting to sat up a retreet from scratch, then invite in people who can use the tools or have the willingness to use them.

I would add to this list manuals and fix it encyclopedias as reference material as well.

Today I tried something I have never done before, I did not know how to do this, still don't! Tommorow off to the library go find reference material, connect to internet and watch some fix it tutorials to learn.

Nothing wrong with not knowing a topic or skill, only thing wrong would be someone who is unwilling to learn or refusing to learn!

I can say I am already living very simple (very happy) life , that is very close to what I call self sufficient post disaster life. Mostly with the basic tools I have I use my innovative mind and hard work. I still believe that over 90% of the list is waste.
Just go in your mind trough possible scenarios that you may experience in case of different disasters to survive.
Why would I gather tools that I do not even know how to use or do not intend to use.
That where community comes to play , where different people bring different expertise and different tools.
That what I see people doing now , every time they need little screw they run C. Tire , instead using imagination.
I believe after disaster for quite some time we would be very busy just to stay alive, it is very hard to eat tools.
That is my thinking anyway. (almost can say was there, did it)
Henry
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 05:37:22 PM by wild_E »

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2014, 03:15:01 PM »
I think we are all talking about the same thing here. There are those that are very "handy" and there are those who are not. Among those who are not there are those who will take the time and effort to learn and those who will not. Unfortunately the majority will not. I did no see anything rude at all in Henry's comment. He was stating, correctly I might add, that the majority are just plain to lazy to make the effort.

There are a few of us that are probably beyond "handy" and we all seem to be in this thread. However with that said if one person who does not know what even one of those tools is or what it is used for takes the time to investigate and do a little research then the list has provided an invaluable educational service.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2014, 03:40:58 PM »
Come on you know you want to build it. ;)

Oh I do, it"ll have to be the very last project though...LOL
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2014, 07:31:36 PM »
Sorry if I did not make it clear. I am talking basic survival. I am hoping for the best  but prepping for the worst. If the worst happens you  will have to survive with the very , very basics. How many times you heard it would be going 100 years back in time. So how many of these tools they had 100 years ago?
I believe for few years it would be strictly SURVIVING - gathering food and defending your family. Afterwards once the situation settles ,who ever survive there will be plenty of stuff around .
That is the way I am thinking and prepping.
Henry

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2014, 07:41:32 PM »
Sorry Henry, after 2 years, it will be desperate. There will be no more animals around. Those beautiful wood lots, the environmentalists are protecting, will be mere stubble in a field. The wealthy will have stuff, but not a lot more. They can hire gangs to rob all of the preppers who put signs up to tell everyone what you are doing. Houses will be ripped apart for firewood. The gangs will survive, others will starve to death. Unless you are way out in the country, you will be looted. Those nice horses will be eaten by starving people who will walk into gunfire to eat. You won't be able to hold them off forever.

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 03:05:01 PM »
I agree but also people that survive will be getting together. It is definitely different story if you live in the bush or in the city. By the time the gangsters get to my place they would be half dead.
I started this about basic tools. People are talking about some stuff that is wasted. For example if you have half dissent ax you can cut polls for shelter, you can sharpen polls make fencing, you san cut fire wood,  can cut hole in ice for ice fishing, with sharp ax you can make whistle in 5 min., you can make basket from bark trees to carry stuff home, you can skin animal, you can use it as hummer, use to take structures apart,  and so on. Just think how many tools you just replaced with good ax.
That what I am talking about.
Henry

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
I agree Henry, almost every hand tool was made with multiple uses in mind. Here's another example a nail Depending on size ) can be hammered into; a punch, a fishing spear point, an allan key, screwdriver, pin, small knife, chisel,hooks of various sizes, and even hammered thin enough for short pieces of wire. Those are just things that I can think of off the top of my head. Don't get me started with files,saw blades, car springs, and scrap iron. You are only limited by your imagination.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 06:41:29 PM »
with all the things mentioned in this thread I feel that (nowadays) its hard to learn all, if not many, of these skills, and aquire alot of the tools and knowhow to use them.. like jerry said.. dont try to get all this stuff.
that is why i am a firm believer in gathering around you, folks with variable skills.

this.. from an old hermit..
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most