Author Topic: Fatwood  (Read 1449 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Fatwood
« on: January 18, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
Howdy All,

Is it me or are things kind of quiet around here of late?? No matter.

I was at Lee Valley and discovered they sell small boxes of Fatwood. I needed to replenish a container in my fire kit so I picked up a box.

If you have not heard of Fatwood before, no worries, it is the resin saturated stumps of certain Pine trees. This stuff burns well, almost like a used stir stick for fibreglass resin, LOL. 100% natural, if you must it could even be called organic. The resin burns for quite a bit thus giving your fire a chance to catch before your fine kindling has burnt all up.

So, if you buy one of them fancy fire kits, chances are there will be a stick of Fatwood included, as well as, a fire steel or something similar. But, the pre-made kits are usually a little pricey. The box of Fatwood is $6.50 at Lee Valley. The box is not large, 0.0375 cu ft. Or about 30 finger thick kindling pieces. The pieces are about 8" long.

The box states to visit www.FATWOOD.com for more infomation.

Keep warm out there!

Mountainman.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: Fatwood
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 07:36:08 PM »
Sounds like a neat product

Have not been posting much just sharing info in  the form of vids on youtube.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Jerry D Young

• Author of a 100+ stories
  • Campfire Member
  • Dignitary
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • Jerry D Young
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
Fatwood is my go to tinder. I've never had a failure to start a fire when using it.

Shaved as actual tinder, large matchstick size fatwood next, half a little finger size fatwood, and then twigs, small limbs, split limbs, and then the larger stuff. The stuff splits really easily, and shaves just as easily.

Just my opinion.
Jerry D Young - https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst, and always remember TANSTAAFL
(There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A Heinlein) Kindle Author page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B009NMRQ26

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
Jerry,

Excellent feedback. I try to keep a small can or bottle filled with shaved Fatwood in my fire kit. In fact, my small can was empty thus encouraged me to get a re-supply.

NoBS,

Fatwood is a very neat product. Might be an interesting video topic, when you re-visit the topic of fire lighting in trying conditions.

Cheers,

MM.