Author Topic: Rocket Mass Heater info  (Read 8487 times)

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
Re: Rocket Mass Heater info
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2013, 04:38:02 PM »
Hello Henry and welcome. Glad to see you here. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you.

JAB
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Gravlore

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2013, 08:30:57 PM »
This year I think we will put in extra insulation and the passive solar. That along with cooking/baking and all things electric going we will see how much I really need for next winter. I like over building but I do not want a to small or to large a unit. 8' logs would be awesome though. Fit on the back of the truck in lengths and then put all that dead fall in a big ass stove. Perhaps if I heat the workshop. See if I can pick up some 1/4" steel and weld my own crude stove. Tinker tinker.

Offline Siberios

• Contributer
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »
I heat with wood. Brand new wood furnace with electric (UGH) back up. I am about 1700 sq ft plus full basement. Last year I used about 3 cords (real ones) of wood. My neighbour has a 3,000 sqft home and heated it with the outside furnace. He used about 12-15 cords of wood (real ones) His wood is cut into 24" lengths and his wife has to struggle with it when he's gone. He ends up burning a lot of wood for nothing as he has to keep it humping to keep the water hot. I have the luxury of letting my fire go out. I get my heat faster than he does as my furnace is pushing the hot air right away. His is limited to the temp of the water. I can (and will likely this fall) add coils inside to help preheat my hot water tank.
I agree with Antiprepper when he says why go to all that bother when the wheel has already been invented.
As far as work to feed my furnace, not really a lot of time is involved. 5 or 6 days if the weather cooperates and like they say for heating with wood... It warms you 3 or 4 times by the time it's being burned"

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 01:18:27 PM »
WHY BOTHER showing different means of heating?, because we are here to teach people how to make a heating system that can be made from scratch. What happens when TSHTF, and people buy everything in site and then there is nothing left that wont cost you your first born and your left arm to buy. We teach people alternate means for those who don't have what they need. Also heaters that don't require most of there time searching for wood when they could be searching for food. A wood stove is great, but most of them are not fuel efficient. The rocket mass heaters work in the same way that the ceramic heaters in Europe work, they stores heat and has a slow release throughout the day and not all at once. If built right they will only use 1 cubic foot of wood for a 12/24 hr. period heating 3000 cu/ft.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 05:52:14 PM by Ranger2012 »
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline Ranger2012

• Tinker
  • Pro Preppers
  • VIP
  • We Prep to live, Not just to survive.
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 05:50:51 PM »
Just saw this site, the Gentleman has a very good design from my stand point. Some metal working skills required, but over all a skill level of 3/5. Very well thought out, but could use a clean out grate, and a cool air damper.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ZeroFossilFuel?feature=watch
We learn, We practice, We teach.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 06:58:30 PM »
Howdy All,

Is this picture an accurate understanding of how a Rocket Mass Heater works??

http://www.inspirationgreen.com/assets/images/Blog-Building/Rocket%20Heater/nicodermus.jpg

MM

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 08:24:37 PM »
Hey there MM,
follow the links on my two blog posts for Rocket Mass Heaters and Rocket Stoves. Look also in there for the Pocket Rocket, excellent smaller heating devices for smaller spaces. Note for the Pocket Rocket, a base inside and around the bottom will make it much safer !

http://wildernessreturn.wordpress.com/2012/03/28/rocket-mass-heater-plans/

http://wildernessreturn.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/rocket-stoves-when-the-gas-is-gone/

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »
rocket mass heaters can be built with minimal modern conveniences. no need for cement mixer. mix by foot power.

in the case of my outdoor oven, using a cement mixer was not possible to mix the clay/sand/straw, and mortar.

it was the most exercise I had had in over a yr. but it went very well.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most