Author Topic: The Great White North  (Read 11087 times)

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Re: The Great White North
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2014, 11:03:23 AM »
Is there still lots of cheap housing up there? 1 -2 bedroom detached? I will retire soon, and may wish to move out of the big city.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2014, 11:20:33 AM »
Ok as far as I've researched into property ownership this is what I've come up with. Under our old common law system, we have the right to basically do what we want on the land, water, mineral, timber rights.... We still have this right as long as the following conditions are met.

1. You pay for your land in silver or gold
2. You maintain the road way as far as your nearest neighbour ( I think it is to the west)
3. You register your land claim as owning both the title and deed

This is what's happenned

You have borrowed non existant money from a bank to purchase your land
You have registered yourself as a corporate entity, thereby losing all rights as a sentient being
You and your land are now used as chattel, by our government against the national debt

Feel owned?
Well you are a corporation after all, a resource to be sold, traded, or tossed away, at the whim of a board of directors ( Read that as banksters, government, and any other officious sounding agency that they can dream up)

Land of the free and the home of the brave?
More like Land of the fee, and the home of the enslaved.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline NaturalPath

• Contributer
    • PresentlyTravelling
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:55 PM »
fleetway;  Yes, there are still cheap houses and apartments to be had here in Elliot Lake, especially now, after the mall collapse, and no replacement built yet.  I would urge anyone considering the move to Elliot Lake to be honest with themselves and make sure you're coming here for the right reasons.  I don't think that cheap housing is the most important factor in moving to Elliot Lake.  You must be coming here because you love the wilderness and the outdoor activities that it provides.  That must be the lifestyle you seek.  If it is, then this will be paradise for you.

There is no other reason to come here.  There are very few places to shop.  The healthcare is abominable.  Gas prices are high.  The nearest big cities are about 2hrs away either east to Sudbury, or west to the Soo. 

From a preppers perspective, I see living in a small town like this an advantage though.  If hell was to break loose, you certainly wouldn't have to go too far to bug out.  In fact you could walk, which very well might be the only choice.  In my explorations around here, I've found many remote cabins which would make excellent shelters in times of unrest, or disaster. 

As far as attractions go, well, we have the Drag Races at the airport in the summer, and the Ice Fishing Derby, which was just a couple of day ago, in the winter.  There is a fairly nice Golf Course, but I don't know too much about that, since I don't golf.  They do also usually have a music concert in the downtown area during the summer.

There are clubs for this and that too, mostly outdoor stuff.  If you like drug stores, Elliot Lake will be a dream come true for you.  This must be the smallest town with the most drug stores in Canada.

For me, it's perfect.  I wasn't even intending on staying here when I arrived.  I was headed out to BC, and I just thought I come into Elliot Lake, since I'd never been here before.  It didn't take me long to realize that this was the place for me.  Endless trails into remote wilderness.  Hundreds, if not thousands, of beautiful, quiet lakes to enjoy.  All of this at my doorstep, within walking distance.

So, if you like the same stuff I like then this might be just the place for you.  However, if you have a boss(wife) then I would be sure that she is on board with all of this too. :-)

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »
Got rid of that wife thing years ago. My main concern is health care. I am ok for now, but do love the out doors. I leave my ATV and hunting gear up near there with my brother. I have 2 more years to think about it. I really don't need a lot of stuff. I am pretty well "stuffed" up. I only get to ride my ATV 2-3 times per year during hunting. It is a bit of a waste.
I think I would really enjoy ski doing again. Been a long time since I had one. No need down here.
Thanks

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
natural path.. I too, was heading somewhere when i found this place.  I was heading for st joes island at the sault and stopped here to enquire abouta sign. that advertised cheap homes. Turns out it was a mobile home park with more regs than the gov.. not for me.
ended up with 12 acres and built small cabin. still a bit rustic, but so far it aint kilt me.
I came here from northern BC
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline NaturalPath

• Contributer
    • PresentlyTravelling
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
Ya, zeker, I know that mobile home park, not the nicest place in town for sure.  I was lucky, I got into a real nice apartment.  I wasn't looking to buy property again, I'd been there and done that, and I didn't want all the responsibilities that come with owning your own property.  I'm retired, and my only motto now is to enjoy, and that's exactly what I've been doing since I got here.  I can't imagine ever running out of new places to explore from this home base.

fleetway, I found a real nice place for ya. :-)  10 Colwill looks perfect.

http://classifieds.elliotlakestandard.ca/elliotlake/real-estate-services/flo-sutton-sales-represe/C0A80155055fe03C93SPto51EC45

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2014, 03:02:31 PM »
Funny, I wuz just looking on their site, and did notice this one. Certainly a good price.

Offline NaturalPath

• Contributer
    • PresentlyTravelling
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2014, 03:43:08 PM »
Actually, that's quite a nice location too.  It's a corner lot, right close to the Grace Christian Center, in what we call the 'new' subdivision.  It's on the edge of town, so very close to an insane amount of wilderness.  Google Maps does not locate this property correctly.  You have to manually move down the road towards the Grace Christian Center, right on the corner of the road that goes in there.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2014, 04:39:40 PM »
thanks

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2014, 06:02:14 PM »
Curious. You say the healthcare is abominable. Can you expand on that please?
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 06:10:19 PM »
Unfortunately, you have to travel 2 hours to Sault St Marie, or Sudbury for anything above minor problems.

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2014, 06:11:35 PM »
I'd be interested in that too. I have had horrible luck with healthcare in espanola and any healthcare folks I run across tell me to go to elliot or sud.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »
I'm wondering what you classify as 'minor' problems. Looking at the Hospital website they have the basics for Inpatient services and access to just about everything else through visiting Physicians. Inpatient services..Inpatient Services

•Medicine 
•Intensive Care 
•Obstetrics 
•Paediatrics 
•Surgery

Outpatient services
◾Bone Density 
◾Cardiology 
◾Chemotherapy 
◾Clinical Nutrition 
◾Diabetes Education 
◾Ears, Nose, and Throat 
◾Electrocardiogram 
◾Emergency Care 
◾Endoscopy 
◾Gastroenterology 
◾Gerontology 
◾Mental health
 ◾Nephrology
◾Occupational Therapy

◾Ophthamology 
◾Orthopedics 
◾Paediatrics 
◾Pastoral / Spiritual Care 
◾Physiotherapy 
◾Radiology (X-Rays) 
◾Renal Dialysis (A Satellite of Sudbury Regional Hospital) 
◾Speech Therapy 
◾Social Work
◾Surgical Day Care 
◾Urology 
◾Ultrasound
  The level of services seem to be commensurate with just about any small to midsize town/city that doesn't have a teaching hospital.

JAB

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2014, 06:26:37 PM »
What is a "visiting physician" Weekly, monthly or yearly?

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:12 PM »
and some of these services may be limited.. I know espanola does ultrasounds but I had to go to sud for ultrasound on my shoulder.. apparently its more complicated than my knee?

and visiting drs are indeed monthly and even yrly.

Offline NaturalPath

• Contributer
    • PresentlyTravelling
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2014, 07:07:29 PM »
JustABear;  It took me over two years to finally get a family doctor.  When I did get one, I realized that it's not like down south, where you can get an appointment the next day, or even the next week.  Heck, if you get one within a month, you're lucky.  I figured, by then, if I'm not dead, I'll probably be over whatever it is I had.  The only way I know of to get immediate attention is to arrive at the hospital in an ambulance.  If you go into the hospital emergency, more often than not, you will end up with what the refer to as a practitioner, which is usually a nurse in training.  The last practitioner I saw in that hospital said to me, "Well, I guess you'll just have to live with it"  after I explained what symptoms I had.  Fortunately, I've always been fairly healthy, aside from some complaints I've had for years that haven't killed me yet, so I just do exactly what that practitioner told me.  I live with it.  If things ever got bad enough to call an ambulance, then that's the only way I will be going through the healthcare system we have here in Elliot Lake.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2014, 07:23:21 PM »
This is my only fear.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Wow...
I have never seen an introduction post turn into its own forum before!
Very interesting, very interesting.

Some of the info here, would be of service to others out in the main forum section though. Someone might want to copy info and then put it into different topics in the main section.
just a thought.

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2014, 07:55:55 PM »
I'm not discrediting anyone and I have never been there but I'd have to say that if you go to ER you should see an MD. A 'practitioner' would most likely be a nurse practitioner which is a Registered Nurse with an elevated level of education who can order and read simple tests, diagnose and prescribe basic medications under the supervision of a Physician. No one who is 'in training' would be allowed to assess, diagnose and discharge a patient without being seen by the person who is responsible for them. A Reg Nurse does not have a scope of practice to diagnose and treat (discharge) anyone. Generally in an ER you will see a nurse who will take your history and complaint, do your vital signs and assign a level of acuity. Then you will see the ER physician who will examine you and if necessary do tests and then assign a diagnosis and recommend treatment. No Hospital can refuse to assess and treat you.  Just sayin

JAB

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2014, 07:56:08 PM »
Oh you wascally wabbit, whoops( in response to E's reply)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:57:27 PM by NObshere »
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer