Author Topic: The Peruvian Paso, one tough little horse  (Read 1545 times)

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
The Peruvian Paso, one tough little horse
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »
Looking for a gentle, smooth riding, and tough horse? try out a Peruvian Paso. I've been breaking and training them for about 7 years now and own a few. They stand about 14.5 hh , have a fine boned structure which is 6x's the bone density of a quarter horse, and are intelligent which makes them easy to train. They are not runners but a gaited horse with lots of stamina.( I rode my mare from town to home ,22 miles in under 2hrs) they will walk pretty much any other breed of horse into the ground. Their hooves do not need to be shod as they are hard as rock. You can ride all day in the saddle, and not be stiff at the end of the day, have not had any problems traversing almost every type of terrain( never rode in the desert) muskeg,mountains,bush,river crossing, even swimming. Being nice and short, they are easy to mount dismount. If youre worried about them being too small to carry you, well don't, I'm 230lbs and my smallest mare carries me just fine. Any questions/opinions ?

Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Jwild101

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
Re: The Peruvian Paso, one tough little horse
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »
Another great (and semi-rare) breed is the "Canadien Horse or the French Canadian Horse" . Decendents of "Barbs, Normans and Arabians" sent to New France in the 17th Century. Been describe as a mini work horse. Can pull all day and not ware out.
On a side note some 50, 000 were sold to the Union Army over the course of the US Civil War for Cavalry mounts
The Count Down is On

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: The Peruvian Paso, one tough little horse
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 04:38:15 PM »
Yeah the Canadian is a tough breed. A fellow out here breeds them, I think he's got about 50 or so. Bought 2 of them 4 years ago but had some unfortunate accidents. They were half wild and pretty mean, but after some hard breaking were reasonable animals, if a little to spirited for light draft work. They would have made excellent cavalry mounts.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer