Author Topic: Making a Fire on Snow  (Read 5786 times)

Offline havercy

Re: Making a Fire on Snow
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 04:02:43 PM »
Many of us carry firesteels of some sort.  Coupled with prepared tinders, or natural sources they are highly effective, even when wet. The inside of dead, standing wood is usually dry, and there are a variety of ways and tools to get at it.

Offline Parkerhale308

• Asset
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 06:39:00 AM »
Remember the one rule to heat!

heat rises which is true,

I've built fires on the ice while ice fishing and it never melted the ice. We do this all the time it's a normal practice. Build a base of wood and add you starter bundle, kindling, and wood on top just like you were building a fire on the ground. Spark it up and keep adding the wood as long as you want your fire. Yes you need to know what type of wood your grabbing to know what heat you will get from the fire. If available which it usually is in Ontario, close to the water line is cedar. Cedar burns fast and hot great for getting your fire going. Dead cedar is easy to spot sticking up out of the snow because when the tree dies it will stay standing for a long time. Bugs do not like cedar and it has to break down naturally over time. Fire starter you can alway find something whether dead open cattails, hanging moss like materials anything up off the ground, dead and dry. Along with cedar if you can get your hands on swamp ash it is the only wood that will burn when it is green, dead wood is better.
If I get a chance this winter and remember I will post a video of building fire on the ice, never thought of this as being a practical demonstration but it make sense and it just a nature thing we have always done especially if the fishing is good there is nothing like a shore lunch while fishing.

Offline Zed

• VIP
  • Just a dude, in a kilt
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
Hands down, my personal favourite is the Upside-Down Fire. Long burning (good for overnight), easy to build, easy to maintain, and can be used with a tripod for advanced cooking.

For something smaller, I'd go with my Biolite, which has never failed me, no matter how bad the weather is. A good natural equivalent is a Swedish Fire Log (Torch). Easy to control, portable, semi-reusable.
“The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.”
― Joseph Heller

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2015, 05:31:59 PM »
I really like that upside down fire.

mite hafta try it soon. ty zed
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most