Author Topic: Fanout List  (Read 3403 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
Fanout List
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
Howdy,

So, you are one of the lucky ones, you belong to a group of like-minded folks who all want to be ready in case there is a natural disaster that threatens you way of life. But, as life would have it, you do not all live in the same community.

It may be worth the time and effort to create a fanout list. This list would have contact information for each and every member - names, addresses, phone numbers, cell numbers, e-mail addresses, IM, Text, CB call signs, Ham call signs, even your smoke signal signature - mine is three quick puffs and a long one. (Nobs, just checking if you are reading this. ;-) )

That is a lot of valuable, sensitive and vulnerable data. Opsec must be employed to ensure such information is not lost or stolen. Encrypted files may be a solution, but a backup paper copy may be needed.

Those not familiar with a callout or fanout process, it is straight forward. Whomever, first finds out there is a situation that threatens the group, you call the top person on the list. You give a quick sitrep (situation report - who, what, where, when, why & how). A decision is made to bugout the group. The fanout list is devised in such a way that the first person call two people, those two people call two more people, and so on. In geometric quick time all members of your group have been notified to bugout. They all know where to meet up and when.

It would be good for a group to establish a fanout SOP (standard operating procedure), that includes what to do if no contact can be made, what to do if the phone lines are down, no power, no cell service, no radio (CB, FRS, Ham) service, how long to wait, where to RV/meetup in the event of no comms. By working this out in advance, a lot of confussion is a avoided when things are a bit stressful

Best success,

Mountainman.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: Fanout List
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:13:23 PM »
Here's another hill billy trick for you. Take 2 old phone receivers, wire a 9 volt battery to 1 of the receivers,then on the same receiver,attach an alligator clip to the existing cord that used to be attached to the phone. Then attach another alligator clip to the cord on the other receiver. Now clip onto the same wire and talk to each other. Good for a mile depending on the conductor used. we used to identify under ground power cable using this method. IMPORTANT NOTE:do not do this on live conductors, or you will be sending smoke/scream signals(just thought I'd throw that one in, one long scream followed by big puff of black smoke)
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
Nobs,
can you post some pics of that setup please?

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 01:20:54 AM »
yeah ,I'll have to build it first though, is it possible for me to email the steps on video?
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 09:06:58 AM »
Gotta go to the local dump (shopping mall) and look for some handsets in the next day or so, and will build them with pics.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »
we are not allowed in the local dumps here, even taking too long to unload your vehicle will have someone over to see what the hold up is!

seriously !

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:12:17 PM »
Yeah we used to call it recycling... but I guess it's just not very responsible on our part.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 04:20:56 PM »
No phones today at the mall
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 09:49:45 PM »
Fan out lists which I know as phone pyramids really work.  They are a good tool to have on your communications arsenal.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 01:47:01 PM »
Yes phone pyramids work. The community out here use the range patrol system, we actually caught some crackhead theives using the system a few years ago. They were sure happy when the cops showed up.( Alittle worse for wear they were)
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline thecrownsown

• VIP
    • CSICOP
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 08:08:09 AM »
I like your idea of a list. 

I don't share the concern about it falling into the enemy's hands or it having to be encrypted, or high security but believe it should be kept within the circle of people it was intended for.  More for the stigma that comes with prepping than anything else. I'm not sure who else would want this list and for what purpose, but a compiled list with as little or as much contact info. as someone wants to provide is standard for any group, prepper, or not.

We have a small group where we are and we all have our basic contact info (phone, cell, email) and also a quick summary on our skills, abilities, education, etc.  Again, as little or as much as someone feels comfortable with providing.  Its nothing high profile and probably nothing you couldn't find out about the person on a social network, but great for ease of reference, and if you have a specific question on something (ie.-medical, or business, or hunting, etc.) you have a starting point on who to ask.

"Individual rights are not subject to a public vote; a majority has no right to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities and the smallest minority on earth is the individual."

Ayn Rand

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
I believe it would be wise to have your information kept secure in some way. Given the recent events in High River it would seem the Government (RCMP) has an agenda and with the powers given in times of emergence regarding search and seizure not only of firearms but of stores and tools, it would be best to remain "sheep"  to outward appearances. Also it could lead another group (non friendly) to all the preppers on your list. Also... if as you say..." it is probably nothing you couldn't find out about the person on a social network"... then you need to censor the information you have available. Just a few thoughts.

JAB
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 10:23:02 AM by JustABear »
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 11:25:27 AM »
I tend to agree Thecrownown position on this.  If TPTB want information they will get it. This is a just a list of vital information kept between friends in case of an emergency. It should not be made public and it should be safeguarded at all times as part of OPSEC but beyond that I do not think that a list of potentially like minded people poses much of a risk.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 07:28:21 AM »
If every person on the list had only 2 or 3 names and numbers...then that would be secure enough for me.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer