Author Topic: What IF.........We Lost One Growing Season??  (Read 4242 times)

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
What IF.........We Lost One Growing Season??
« on: June 16, 2013, 08:17:56 PM »
Here is the scenario:

A dry warm, albeit short, Autumn in the Northern Latitudes, that leads into a very long, cold, snowy Winter. Near record snowfall and prolonged cold periods. An event (such as extra volcanic activity - Iceland, Pacific North-West, Pacific Rim, etc.) helps to ensure we have a very late and wet Spring. Too wet for crops to be planted in time to be harvested in Canada, the Ukraine, Northern USA, Russia and Northern China. Summer arrives late, cold, wet and ends short. Snows start in September and stick around til the following April. One complete growing season was missed.

Challenge, could we as citizens of planet Earth survive if one whole growing season was lost?? How much grain is stockpiled around the planet?? One year?? Two?? I doubt three years worth.

There would be a lot of hungry folks about, by the time the harvest is taking in.

Any thoughts?? Possible?? Probable?? Worth investing time to find solutions for??

Mountainman.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
Re: What IF.........We Lost One Growing Season??
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 09:35:45 PM »
Up until sometime in the sixties our government had 7 years stock pile of grains, which it would rotate onto the market each year.(cant remember where I read this but it was a gov website) Now our nations food reserve is measured in pounds per person, and is reportedly only good for a few weeks. But don't worry the government will feed us with worthless fiat currency washed down by crude oil...cheers. Keep stocking up!!
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 11:34:59 PM »
Nobs,

You aren't saying we would be FUBAR'd if we missed a single growing season, are you??????

Ouch. Looks like the menu will have to change with no government food reserves........aggghh, squirrel stew, possum soup, frog legs, minnow soup, grasshopper pie, please, no more roasted crow.

All tongue in cheek. Tough days would be ahead if we missed just one growing season.

How many have the materials to build a functioning greenhouse to grow veggies?? Might be the saving grace in a missed grow season. You know darn well that prices would sky rocket, even on things not directly affected.

Mountainman.

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
    • Preparing For The Future
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »
This year we have had poor weather and record rainfall. The same has been true for Europe, the wettest in 150 years and in Asia too. It has been is common for one region of the world to have a poor growing season because of unusual weather.  For the most part this does not have a drastic effect on global food supplies because the shortfall is made up by a different crop from another region. With these seemingly similar weather patterns repeating themselves across the entire northern hemisphere a “universal” shortened growing season with resulting catastrophic crop failures is a real possibility. We cannot feed the world’s population in a good year.  Many areas are dependent on food aid from those areas that produce an excess. We would not need a total crop failure, just one that produced now excess, to cause cataclysmic famines in parts of the world.
It may never happen. Best to be prepared just in case.

http://www.preparingforthefuture.org/index.php
http://ontariopreparedness.com/

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
HAARP... maybe
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:46:19 PM »
HAARP... maybe

Probably just plain good old climate change. As the Earth warms up temperature differences from one place to another grow more extreme.  Weather patterns, which are essentially big heat engines, accommodate by redistributing and heat and even out the differences. Hence changing weather patterns, more extreme weather and more rainfall. Another factor is that as we get less and less ice in the Arctic Ocean and surrounding seas there is more and more opportunity for evaporation and increased seasons where it may occur. This alone creates moisture laden air where it previously did not exist.

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
We cannot feed the world’s population in a good year.   

The problem isn't food production.  There is more than enough food for the world.  In fact, we could feed a signifigantly larger population.  The problem is food distribution.  Greed and political differences prevent a viable food distribution.  Here in the western world we waste an appalling amount of food.  Starving people in undeveloped countries would be horrified to see just how much we throw away while they starve.  In the military and the oilfield, I have watched them throw away truck loads of food, just because they didn't want to go to the trouble to load it up and take it with them at the end of the job.  I have seen news reports of shiploads of food rotting at the docks because the local warlord wanted to use it as a means of control.  After the disaster in Haiti, boatloads of food would sit in the harbour, rotting because of political agenda's.  Meanwhile, starving children were literally try to eat dirt to stay alive.  The problem isn't a shortage of food, the problem is us.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
Again, I fully support everything Taz just said!

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2014, 02:59:00 PM »
most importantly would be WHY, we lost the growing season. many things grow in various ways. but all things grow basically the same (confused yet?)

anything cropwise, needs rain, sunshine, soil and temps. remove one of these and there is no more.

without a growing season it would affect more than our food supply. it would wipe out our environment.

if no grass grew. erosion would level mountainsides. rivers would overflow. all livestock would be gone at some point. all wildlife.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most

Offline Henry

• Pro Preppers
  • VIP
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 04:09:44 PM »
We would maybe have enough food but the same people that tell us now there is shortage just so they raise prices would be in charge of distribution. Just go to any grocery store and see how much goes to the garbage every day you would be shocked. But this is our fault because too many people are too spoiled. The fruits and vegetables have to be perfect, the meat has to look just right, the bakery has to have 50 different breads and so on.
Food is excellent contributor for controlling people. Having constant shortage of some foods takes the attentions from the real problems.
I believe   there  is a very good chance to lose one season of harvest and than the few people at the top will gain real control
Henry

Offline TheLanarchist

• Contributer
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2014, 08:07:06 PM »
I agree what tazweiss and Henry said. the powers that be love to create scarcity for all products, it means higher prices. And now that we know about chemtrails or weather modification programs on going world wide, we can expect TPTB to created food scarcity. 

http://www.agriculturedefensecoalition.org/content/weather-modification
Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more,  so that we may fear less.
Mari Curie
now lets kick some GMO, chemtrail butts.

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 11:00:09 AM »
The drought in California is going to have some serious effects this year. The price of store bought veggies will probably rise drastically because of this. Our imported foods from China and other pac rim countries may be affected by flooding, radiation, and political factors. The unrest in the Ukraine may also affect a large portion of the World's wheat crop. So hang on for 2014, grow those gardens, and can that food. A hunting license may be a good idea too. Not panicking, just giving a head's up.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline icrcc

• Meeting 2014
  • Pro Prepper
  • Husky Dog
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
A hunting licence is ALWAYS a good idea. :)

Offline Lake Lili

• Campfire Member
  • Asset
  • CanAm Author
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 09:27:42 AM »
Very well said Taz and Henry!

With the larger of the two snow piles on my drive reaching the 20x30x20 (the smaller one is 15x20x 10) the plow driver and I are wondering where the heck to put it next.  Regardless it will take a long time for it to melt.  Bets are being taken on its melting before July 1st.  The local ski hill, 5 miles down the road is report 534cm of snow since Jan 1st - that's 17-1/2 feet!  Skiing is great but its a heck of a lot of snow.

I've commented here about the challenges facing food self-sufficiency in Newfoundland.  I can only say that in the 1990s the province earned more in moose tags than the farms did in farm cash receipts.  There isn't a full time farmer on the island under 50-yrs of age, so we are already in trouble out here.  But between small scale cod fishing and the moose, some might make it through a year, but a whole lot more won't.
... if ye are not the sheep of the good shepherd, of what flock are ye?  - Alma 5:39

Remember to keep clear the line between sheep and sheeple!

Offline zeker

• Pro Prepper
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
the loss of even one season brings me back to seed storage./

and storeing foods that last a long time. either preserved ,or, in their own environment.

one such LONG keeper is hopi pale gray squash.. when I first learned about this squash,, it was said to last 18 months.. now I read, as long as 2 yrs.. one season lost wouldnt be too bad, if you could a few plants like this one.

hopi is named after the indian tribe that first harvested it. perhapos we should be reading up on what the indians grew.

it all boils down to WHAT made the season go away. will one season be the extent of it?
think dustbowl.
of all the things I,ve lost.. I miss my mind, the most