Author Topic: Cold weather clothing  (Read 7588 times)

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
Re: Cold weather clothing
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2013, 08:14:54 PM »
My suggestions would be a Canadian Army Combat Parka or a Duck Coat think the ones on constructions sites that are brown canvas, both not main stream though.

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:58 AM »
On winter exercises, a lot of the troops would wear an army issue rain jacket with a heavy wool sweater underneath.  They were quite comfortable, even at -30C.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2014, 09:15:31 PM »
During my military service, I loved a "kersey shirt". I think it was a wool shirt. I agonize over every cold weather piece of clothing I buy. I give away half of the stuff, as I am not satisfied with it. I bought a great, warm shirt, with the warmth dots, from Columbia. Almost like a Kersey shirt, but only 5% wool. My survival course (10 days) was held in Jasper Alta. The warmest it got was -20C, coldest -27C. I never want to be that cold again. So I try to buy the best I can afford.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2014, 09:18:08 PM »
TAZ, I like that: I am not perfect, I am Canadian. 26 years in the RCAF, and I would never be anything else but Canadian. I been all over the world, but there is no where I would rather be.

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2014, 09:39:32 PM »
im kinda of a sucker for wool and for me its wool always as bein and well u cant teach an old dog new tricks
as for foot wear I weardunlops with bama socks wicks the sweat of ur feet
for my stiff soar hands its saw mitts wich is leather and wool

best regards
griz
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
When hunting. I am glad I have an ATV to carry all my stuff. I have 3 of everything. I never want to be cold again. I see the $500 boots, but I can't imagine they are warmer than my  $100 boots, just a different style. I use thinsulate gloves bit also have fleece lined, leather gloves with a plastic liner between the sections. Works well for me. Good quality long johns is a must. I don't cheap out on long johns.

Offline M590a1

• VIP
  • Politically Incorrect
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 10:05:40 PM »
Higher priced boots are no warmer for sure, but the durability/build quality will come into play once(if) stores/manufacturing cease.  Even if they only last 6 months longer it will be money well spent to me.  I have a C/F parka and it is pretty rugged, but even around the farm in -40c weather I am more likely to layer up with lighter stuff, unless I'm just running out for a second.  Thumbs up for quality longjohns!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:07:30 PM by M590a1 »
If you have no sword, sell your cloak and buy one.

The world is not dangerous because of those who do harm, but because of those who look on without doing anything.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2014, 10:17:03 PM »
My neighbour got me a Air Canada parka. Very warm, gotta be - 10 to wear it. I have some 40 year old seal skin mitts from a trip to Tuktoyuktuk NWT. These hand made mitts are too warm to wear unless it is -10C or colder. They are GREAT. I bought them for $30 back then, they are probably $500 now.

Offline grizly1

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • old New Member
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2014, 10:20:40 PM »
u guys gota look at these Dunlop boots yes 189$ but worth every peny
U can't teach greatness and definitely can't fix stupid

Offline NObshere

• Our Videographers
  • Pro Preppers
  • Pro Prepper
  • Never give in to fear
    • YouTube Channel Prepper Madness
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2014, 10:24:59 PM »
Yeah they are a good boot. As for gloves socks and hoods you have a hard time beating them for warmth, and fire retardant properties.
Never stop...

CanAm Videographer

Offline tazweiss

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Old Prepper
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 12:16:00 PM »
I haven't used long johns for years.  When it's really cold out, I wear sweat pants underneath.  When I have to get up in the middle of the night to leave the tent for the local snowbank, the sweatpants are easier and warmer.  Even in the tent, or if I'm in my cabin, I can wander around in my sweats.  Generally sweatpants are thicker and warmer than longjohns.
Amateurs built the Ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:54 PM »
This is something I have started addressing this year.  I want to be sure I have good, solid winter gear for me, my kids, and my mom.  I bought my kids good coats this year, spent some extra $$ to do so.  I always cringed at it before, because they grow out of them and it's harder to justify the expense.  At least when I put out $$ for my stuff, I know I'll be wearing it for years.  So they got their coats and wool socks.  I got very light-weight merino wool long underwear and wool socks that are fantastic.  I also bought an awesome pair of winter boots rate to -100 deg.  Now, I know that temp rating is a bit of a uncertainty, depending on how they are tested, but still -100 should keep my feet toasty and they do!  I've used them a few times now and it is unbelievable!  next year long undies for the kids and my mom, and wool undershirts.  Better boots for everyone and a very high quality winter coat for me.  Snow pants too.

On the subject of snowshoes, they are also on my list!  We like to hik and I want us to be able to do so all year round.

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2014, 12:04:59 PM »
I bought a pair of seal skin mitts 30 years ago in the arctic. My hands sweat in them at -30, so they are extremely warm, hand made mitts.

Offline Mountainman

• Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
    • Mountainman's Mantra
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
livingpower,

If you are looking for snowshoes keep an eye on Sportsman's Guide dot com.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=764314

That is a link to military snowshoes. These ones are sold from the US Army, but they are the same ones built for the Canadian Army. The bindings are not the best, but with the money you save, you can afford to get or make better bindings.

Watch the website, when they have lots of snowshoes the price drops to about $30 USD a pair, including a set of basic webbing bindings. At Wholesale Sports they sell just the snowshoes at about $169 a pair.

Yes, there is shipping on top of the price and the conversions to Canuck bucks. When our dollar was closer to par it was a steal of a deal. Paying ten cents on the dollar extra, is still an okay deal for snowshoes that will last a very long time. Remember when the troops use these snowshoes they are also carrying a 50 lbs+ pack and dragging a 400lbs toboggan. So, these snowshoes are not some wimpy imitation.

Best of luck,

Mountainman.

Offline wild_E

• Off Grid Living Mod 3 yrs now
  • Administrator
  • Pro Prepper
  • Off Grid Mobile Adm/Mod
    • My Journey Blog
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »
Princes Auto in Canada has the same snowshoes on for sale right now for $65

Offline fleetway

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 07:22:57 AM »
Forrest city surplus in London has US Military surplus snowshoes on for $50. Other smaller aluminum snowshoes for $50-$75.

Offline livingpower

• Campfire Member
  • VIP
  • Urban Prepper/Rural Wannabe
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:56 AM »
Thanks for the info on the snowshoes, everyone!  I will check it out.  I was actually thinking of heading over to Forest City Surplus in the coming week, so I'll take a look at what they have.  The military ones wouldn't likely do for my kids, but a pair for my mother and I would work and my girls can get them when they are older.  Won't be long for my oldest.  Good grief, she's almost as tall as I am now  :o .