Author Topic: Three HUNDRED more men killed themselves financial crisis triggered spike  (Read 1278 times)

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
Three HUNDRED more men killed themselves in Britain in 2009 as financial crisis triggered spike in suicide rates around the world, new figures reveal

Researchers are linking suicide increase to 34million job losses worldwide

The study found that men aged 15 to 24 were particularly vulnerable

Rates were particularly affected in countries hardest hit by recession

Experts warn that more needs to be done to protect vulnerable

The number of British men committing suicide increased by 300 in 2009 with experts blaming the financial crisis and heavy job losses for the rise.

A new study has found that there were around 5,000 extra suicides across Europe and North America the year following the 2008 banking crash.
Researchers from universities in Oxford, Bristol and Hong Kong are linking the spike to around 34 million job losses worldwide and stress triggered by repossessions and bankruptcy.

The study also found that it is men aged 15 to 24 who were most vulnerable.
Suicide rates were higher in countries hit particularly hard by the recession, especially nations where unemployment was low prior to 2008.

Germany saw an increase of 376 male suicides in 2009, while France saw a rise of 344.
In the U.S an additional 2,309 men killed themselves.
Researchers claim that their work may not have revealed the full extent of the problem as the 54 countries chosen to feature in the study did not include some of the hardest hit countries.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2424285/UK-suicide-rate-rose-300-extra-men-killed-financial-crisis.html#ixzz2fFTWyIsr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
Re: Three HUNDRED more men killed themselves financial crisis triggered spike
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 09:22:22 AM »
Hmmm.... interesting statistic but little more. What percentage of the TOTAL suicides was this number? I believe that every life is precious yet society cannot save everyone. In every endeavor there has to be cost effectiveness. Can we as a society afford the remedy to save 300 lives? And in saving them are we then obligated to ensure their continued safety through ongoing programs and support? What about the rest of the suicides not attributed to the economic downturn? Are they not also worthy of support and statistical analysis and media attention? Experts in every field create or promote problems that then require their attention and funding from Government. Kind of a self rewarding exercise isn't it? Mental illness like any disease is terrible. As in every disease the worst case scenario is death. It is terrible by any measure but inevitable. Genetic flaw? Chemical imbalance? Societal failure? Whatever the cause people will eventually die.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:23:33 AM by JustABear »
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB

Offline kelee877

• Dignitary
  • Bugged out already
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
Hmmm.... interesting statistic but little more. What percentage of the TOTAL suicides was this number? I believe that every life is precious yet society cannot save everyone. In every endeavor there has to be cost effectiveness. Can we as a society afford the remedy to save 300 lives? And in saving them are we then obligated to ensure their continued safety through ongoing programs and support? What about the rest of the suicides not attributed to the economic downturn? Are they not also worthy of support and statistical analysis and media attention? Experts in every field create or promote problems that then require their attention and funding from Government. Kind of a self rewarding exercise isn't it? Mental illness like any disease is terrible. As in every disease the worst case scenario is death. It is terrible by any measure but inevitable. Genetic flaw? Chemical imbalance? Societal failure? Whatever the cause people will eventually die.

JAB my oldest son commited suicide I would give anything in the world to have him back..he went back down south and lived with one of my sisters..she screwed his brains up and when he got to overwhelmed he hung himself....we have to remember for every person who commits suicide there are family members who grieve and will always ask themselves why...

The hardest hit are my other 3 children.....my daughter will whell up in tears and start sobbing and then tell me she just had a memory of her brother..and how sad it makes her..

I am not saying you are wrong just giving you the other side of the coin and those who are effected by this....and to think the above artical is all about money and the greed of the elite
http://prepareforfuture2.forumotion.com/

In loving memory of my son Chris April 12 1985-June 19 2007

Offline JustABear

• Global Moderator
  • Pro Prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 09:57:19 AM »
kelee... I am sorry for your loss. I doubt if there can be anything as devastating to loved ones as someone taking their own life. There will always be questions unanswered and a sense of unresolved guilt.

I do agree that what the "elite" does affects the majority of the population and mostly in negative ways. In the end though, what each person does in relation to that, is their individual choice that they have to accept responsibility for.
THERE ARE NO PROBLEMS... ONLY OPPORTUNITIES FOR SOLUTIONS

JAB